PDA

View Full Version : Worst game engine ever?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jAkUp
05-23-06, 12:34 AM
What do you think is the worst game engine ever? I mean, slow, buggy, and ugly.

Its hard for me to narrow it down since it seems there are so many :D

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 12:40 AM
Valuesoft Engines...

nVidiaGuru
05-23-06, 12:44 AM
i dont game as much as you guys by far, but the source engine definitly got on my nerves.

LT.Schaffer
05-23-06, 12:54 AM
The old Spec Ops Game had the worst engine i have ever seen..
Laggy\Crappy Graphics\dumb AI\Little to no story..:thumbdwn:

supra
05-23-06, 12:55 AM
i dont game as much as you guys by far, but the source engine definitly got on my nerves.

??? i think maybe ur thinking of steam not source engine itself.
Source engine is one of the best engines out there IMO. So many tweaks you can do with it.

Edge
05-23-06, 01:15 AM
As far as popular engines go that actually get attention, I thought the "second gen" Lithtech engine (used in games like AvP2 and No One Lives Forever) was pretty horrid. It was extremely slow, and none of the features were all that impressive or new. It was like every other engine out there...but slower. Even the Quake 3 engine handled outdoors better than that one did. And I'm not even going to mention the netcode. Lithtech was OK earlier when it was used for Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, but it's later iterations just sucked. Wonder what F.E.A.R.'s engine is...it keeps up the Lithtech tradition of being extremely slow, but at least it looks prettier.

BTW, I think you mean "Worst" in the title, not "Wost".

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 01:19 AM
Yeah Edge, The Lithtech Engine wasn't the best but I wouldn't consider it the worse. I just think all the drawbacks are due to the engine being pushed to its limits... even then though NOLF was still an amazing title.

CaptNKILL
05-23-06, 02:06 AM
As far as popular engines go that actually get attention, I thought the "second gen" Lithtech engine (used in games like AvP2 and No One Lives Forever) was pretty horrid. It was extremely slow, and none of the features were all that impressive or new. It was like every other engine out there...but slower. Even the Quake 3 engine handled outdoors better than that one did. And I'm not even going to mention the netcode. Lithtech was OK earlier when it was used for Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, but it's later iterations just sucked. Wonder what F.E.A.R.'s engine is...it keeps up the Lithtech tradition of being extremely slow, but at least it looks prettier.

BTW, I think you mean "Worst" in the title, not "Wost".
Yeah, lithtech isnt too great. Any time I've played a game using that engine it has felt very "not-smooth". Not necessarily bad framerate or choppyness... it just has a crappy feel to it. I think most of it is in the mouse movement. Something about it just isnt right.

Another one that comes to mind as absolutely horrible was the engine used in one of the old Delta Force games. Gahhhh... how disgusting. The game looked TERRIBLE (it still used a sprite for your first person gun in the late 90s) and used an unaccelerated voxel engine for the terrain. Voxels simply look like s**t, and they perform HORRIBLY. For those that dont know what voxels are, look it up. Its the tech of the past that was used before our systems could handle high polygon counts. Its sort of like building terrain out of strips of paper(laying on their side, not flat). If you turn at the wrong angle, you can see the "rows" and everything looks absolutely terrible, but at other angles, everything is very smooth (much smoother than the poly counts of even todays games).

Anyways, it looked and ran horrid on a decent system. The game sucked too. I remember the grenade launcher on your gun was like a laser gun and you could zoom in and blow people up from a mile away with it.

Looking at my stacks of game boxes, I cant say I own any games that have the "worst" engine I've used. Deus Ex: Invisible War ran like crap but I actually liked the way it looked, I think it was a mix of the Unreal Engine being stretched way too far and the hardware not being able to cope. It probably runs much better on my 7900GTX than it did on my 6800GT (it better!:p).

Im sort of drawing a blank though... I cant think of any other games with horrible engines.

EDIT: GAHH! I just remembered... GRAND THEFT AUTO 3, VICE CITY and SAN ANDREAS. Ugh... what a horrid piece of crap engine that is. There arent enough negative words in the english language to describe the "suck" of that engine. Its probably more of a game design problem, but the fact that every game they have on the engine has the same horribly irritating flaws and pitiful graphics makes this one probably the worst engine to me. I cant STAND it. I played San Andreas again last night and had 10 minutes of fun with it before getting bored, irritated and disgusted with the terrible graphics. The same has been true of every GTA game since GTA 2. IMO, GTA 2 was the most enjoyable game of the series, with GTA 1 being second and San Andreas being third (since it has a few redeeming features that can distract you long enough to have a few minutes of fun here and there).

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 02:14 AM
Deus Ex: Invisible War ran poorly because it was a coded mess. The developers focused so much on the Xbox version that it crippled the PC verion. Not only that it wasn't optimized worth dogpoo. If you used the ini Tweaker for it though it fixed alot of the issues, still a bad game. If you want to see the DE:IW Engine in a good form, then look at Thief 3. While not a great game the engine was far better then DE:IW...

CaptNKILL
05-23-06, 02:22 AM
Deus Ex: Invisible War ran poorly because it was a coded mess. The developers focused so much on the Xbox version that it crippled the PC verion. Not only that it wasn't optimized worth dogpoo. If you used the ini Tweaker for it though it fixed alot of the issues, still a bad game. If you want to see the DE:IW Engine in a good form, then look at Thief 3. While not a great game the engine was far better then DE:IW...
Hmm... where can one get this .ini tweaker?

Id like to give it a try.

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 02:31 AM
Here ya Go! (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=345FCD9C1B9DAA17)

Edge
05-23-06, 03:28 AM
Another one that comes to mind as absolutely horrible was the engine used in one of the old Delta Force games. Gahhhh... how disgusting. The game looked TERRIBLE (it still used a sprite for your first person gun in the late 90s) and used an unaccelerated voxel engine for the terrain. Voxels simply look like s**t, and they perform HORRIBLY. For those that dont know what voxels are, look it up. Its the tech of the past that was used before our systems could handle high polygon counts. Its sort of like building terrain out of strips of paper(laying on their side, not flat). If you turn at the wrong angle, you can see the "rows" and everything looks absolutely terrible, but at other angles, everything is very smooth (much smoother than the poly counts of even todays games).

Haha, well while Voxels somewhat outlived their usefulness by the mid 90s, I must say that Outcast managed to use them fairly well. Loading times were amazingly fast back then for such huge areas, and for the general terrain it worked pretty well. The problem was when you got close to a voxel surface, and you could see the extremely strange "3d pixel" effect of it. Too bad Outcast 2 was canceled, I would've liked to see a game like that switch over to full polygons to see what kind of difference it made.

While the performance was lacking, I do give the engine credit for being the first (to my knowledge) on the market with a fully real-time shadowing and lighting system. I don't think it was much because of the Xbox version, since it ran pretty poorly on that platform as well. It was a pretty decent game though, even if it didn't live up to the original (the features they added didn't make up for what they removed). Thief 3 didn't really seem like a big improvement to the engine, but I think it utilized it better (the lighting system seemed a lot more appropriate in a Thief game than Deus Ex).

I'd say it's a tradeoff: it did something before any other engine, but it did so at a cost. At least on today's systems it runs quite well, even though it's now greatly eclipsed graphically by other games. The texture upgrade mod makes a world of difference, though.

Capt. Picard
05-23-06, 03:46 AM
Regardless of how crappy the old Delta Force games' engines were, I loved those games to bits.

Jarodd
05-23-06, 04:45 AM
Aye Picard, i loved delta force when it came out, but damn lol VoXelZ

walterman
05-23-06, 05:42 AM
COD2 (Quake3 engine tailored to DirectX) & Fear (all Lithtech engines).

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 05:53 AM
COD2 (Quake3 engine tailored to DirectX) & Fear (all Lithtech engines).

I wont agree with either... FEARs engine is amazing, demanding but far superior to most engines aswell. As for COD2 its not the Quake 3 engine at all... It was built from the groundup. Its not the best engine but it does what it set out to accomplish pretty dam well, especially considering the amount of things going on screen at any given time.

But then again, you have a BloodRayne avatar... so that says alot...

OWA
05-23-06, 06:05 AM
But then again, you have a BloodRayne avatar... so that says alot...
Yep, says he has great tastes in games! :) (edit: haven't seen the movie yet but hopefully I'll get that today).

agentkay
05-23-06, 06:50 AM
The Bloodrayne games kick ass. Some of the best console ports I have ever played on PC. Worst game engines ever Iīm voting COD2 and King Kong Gamers Edition.

[BANDIT]
05-23-06, 06:58 AM
Halo, TR Legend in NG mode, FEAR, COD2.

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 07:05 AM
The Bloodrayne games kick ass. Some of the best console ports I have ever played on PC. Worst game engines ever Iīm voting COD2 and King Kong Gamers Edition.

BloodRayne kicked ass? man you all need to play more games... It was a decent title but with its repetive/horrible fighting mechanics and just bland AI, animations and lame gameplay I would hardly say it kicked ass.

msxyz
05-23-06, 07:07 AM
Nobody is voting for the Battlefield 2 engine ? :o

Peoples-Agent
05-23-06, 07:13 AM
Blood 2 engine BEYOND A DOUBT. Think it was an older Lithtech.
What a jibbering pile of ghoulass that was.

The Graw engine was coming a close second until GRIN announced another patch before the June patch. That's shocking dedication, and acknowledgement Ubisoft shelved a broken piece of software.

agentkay
05-23-06, 07:29 AM
BloodRayne kicked ass? man you all need to play more games... It was a decent title but with its repetive/horrible fighting mechanics and just bland AI, animations and lame gameplay I would hardly say it kicked ass.

I play quite a few games. I didnīt say BR1+2 were the best games ever, but some of the best ports I played on PC, IIRC. Why donīt you list a few console ports on PC that are really good? Iīm curious, thats all.

msxyz
05-23-06, 07:38 AM
Blood 2 engine BEYOND A DOUBT. Think it was an older Lithtech.Blood 2 used the first version of the Litech engine (used also by Shogo).

I don't know what hardware you had at the time but I recall it was one of the few games that ran fine even on the Virge GX2 !!! I used it as the primary card in my system (I had also a Voodoo) because it was one of the first chip supporting dual screen and built-in TV encoder.

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 08:03 AM
I play quite a few games. I didnīt say BR1+2 were the best games ever, but some of the best ports I played on PC, IIRC. Why donīt you list a few console ports on PC that are really good? Iīm curious, thats all.

Tomb Raider 1/2
Twisted Metal 2
EA Sports Titles
Slave Zero
Freedom Fighters
Dave Mirra BMX
Tony Hawk Series
Rollcage
Hundred Swords
Soul Reaver 1/2
Blood Omen 1/2

All those were developed with consoles in mind or were ported later to the PC, I have enjoyed them all. Saddly none of them are really current since I don't play many ports on the PC, I usually just buy them on the console and ignore them on the PC.

If anything I would say Console gamers have it worse with PC to Console ports... look at how poorly many of them control or preform.