PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Graphics Problem!

shelts
05-23-06, 06:46 AM
Somebody please help me with a major issue I'm having with Oblivion.

Long story short, when I first bought Oblivion it wouldn't even run on my PC. I determined that I needed to upgrade my graphics card and decided to get some more RAM at the same time.

Therefore I now have:
P4 2.8ghz
1GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6600LE 256MB Graphics Card

Oblivion would then run, but ran like a dog. After turning the resolution down to 800x600 (and turning various other options off) it now runs smoothly.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes when I play (about 75% of the time) I get weird graphical glitches in all the areas I go to. By weird, I mean great big grey blocks stretching across the screen (as if parts of the scenery are 'stretching' into other parts). Imagine giant iron girders stretching down and across the streets of Cyrodill and you'll get an idea of the effect.
I can walk straight through these big graphical glitches, so I can still play the game, but obviously it almost ruins it. Also, and related, the 'advice' text that displays in the middle of the screen when a game/room/area is loading is often disrupted - parts of words are missing as if they've been 'erased'.

I have downloaded the very latest drivers for my graphics card from Nvidia, and have tried tweaking the game options to improve performance, but I still have the issue. I realise my PC is not cutting edge, but it should be powerful enough to run the game at least with reduced settings???!

Any help appreciated!

|MaguS|
05-23-06, 06:50 AM
If you have an AGP card try lowering it to 4x AGP speed, I had similar issues with my 6800GT back when they released. Try also updating your motherboard chipset drivers.

If all else fails, try underclocking your card. It might be overheating. If this proves to be the case, return it or RMA it.

I would also recommend running Memtest (use google) just to verify that it is a graphics card issue and not an incompatiblity with your RAM.

shelts
05-23-06, 08:30 AM
Thanks! I'll try all that out and report back...

shelts
05-24-06, 05:28 AM
Hmmm...tried all that but with no joy. I'm beginning to wonder if my graphics card (although it's new!) isn't up to it.

I'm going to try going through all the 'tweaking' possibilities and see how I do.

Any more ideas appreciated!

|MaguS|
05-24-06, 08:18 AM
Hmmm...tried all that but with no joy. I'm beginning to wonder if my graphics card (although it's new!) isn't up to it.

I'm going to try going through all the 'tweaking' possibilities and see how I do.

Any more ideas appreciated!

The issue isn't a graphics card limit issue but more of an Overheat or defect... Take a screenshot of the issue... if its what I guess then your card is a dud.

SH64
05-24-06, 01:51 PM
Most likely overheating or defective card i'd say ..

Sticky Mick
05-24-06, 04:55 PM
I was getting small graphical glitches with my 6600GT.
A bit of advice I got from my card manufacturer (Club-3D), was to check "AGP Fast Write" in the BIOS. If it's enabled, switch it off.

Solved my problem.;)

shelts
05-30-06, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the help people.

I've checked my PSU and found that it's only got a max power of 250w, which is 100w less than Nvidea recommend, so I'm buying a new 500w PSU and see if that fixes the issue. Even if it doesn't, it's something I need to buy.

I'll check the 'AGP Fast Write' setting as well.

Alikai
06-17-06, 02:28 AM
I too upgraded my PC for Oblivion and have subsequently experienced some very annoying graphics problems and windows stop errors. It sounds similar to your problem, but not quite the same. I have been having graphical glitches about every half an hour or so when I play the game (my character is now level 24).

In one of my saves now, though, the graphical glitch is there no matter what I do. Even when I restart the game there are lines stretching from one side of the screen to the other. The further I walk, the more lines intersect the screen in all directions. I end up with a 3D cross hatching of various textures
and cannot see anything else at all (the health icons etc. at the bottom are unaffected).

I have tried to install the Oblivion patch 1.1 but it has an error message saying 'Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match.' The red bar continues to fill and it then says the update is complete. So I'm not sure if this is an Oblivion glitch or a hardware problem. My specs are:

Pentium 4, 3.00Ghz CPU, 1 Gb RAM, Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900GT (with most up to date drivers downloaded), Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.