PDA

View Full Version : MS won't drop prices on the 360!

ENU291
05-23-06, 08:07 AM
After Sony dropped the $600 bomb Microsoft seems to think that a price drop on the Xbox 360 isn't needed. I personally believe that a $50 cut would be another nail in Sony's coffin! I guess time will tell if their decision was the right now. Check HERE (http://www.clubskill.com/Game_News/3523/No%20immediate%20price%20drop%20for%20360) for details.

Edge
05-23-06, 08:14 AM
I don't think they ever planned a price drop this early, more than likely they'd simple keep it the same price and bundle some extra stuff. In the consumer's eyes, lower cost means lower quality, but saying "you get this, and for a limited time you'll get all this free stuff" sounds much better.

If anything, they'd wait until they switch over to the cheaper CPU manufacturing process before they drop the price, since it's doubtful they'd want to take MORE of a hit than they already are. I'd guess we'll see a price drop sometime in 2007, probably later in the year rather than earlier. But, it also depends on how sales are going in relation to the other systems once they're all out.

msxyz
05-23-06, 11:31 AM
You can thank Sony for that :lol:

And even if Microsoft is planning a price cut this winter they will deny that till the day before. Otherwise people would postpone the purchase after the price reduction. I wouldn't rule out a 50$ discount, though. If the price of the HD-DVD add-on is 150$ as rumored, then a 50$ price cut would allow Microsoft to sell its premium pack+HDDVD at the same price of the entry level PS3.

Some retailers are already offering discounts on the Xbox 360. Yesterday I saw a Core + HD + Game offered at 380€. Which is a good deal imho.

sytaylor
05-23-06, 01:27 PM
Bastids, yeah Sony have basically given them lisence to do so. I was waiting for the price drop too... :'(

Zelda_fan
05-23-06, 01:30 PM
Why does MS need to drive a nail in Sony's coffin, when Sony is doing it themselves?

sytaylor
05-23-06, 02:36 PM
The PS3 will sell, no question. Its a two horse race again, but I'm hoping the Wii can really open up some new markets like the DS has to some degree.

Athena
05-23-06, 03:56 PM
If the WII can do gun games I know I will end up buying one. The old gun games on the Saturn where to much fun!!

But w/ Sony's price so high I think MS can hold off on the price drop for a year or so and still sell everying thing they can build.