PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Cooler / Do I Need One?

SLippe
05-23-06, 09:55 PM
SpeedFan 4.28 shows my HD0 @ about 54' C. From what I could tell from the internet, this is 1 degree below max operating temperature. However, not sure how reliable the source is. WD's website doesn't say what it should operate at.

Is this hot for a HDD?
Is it hot for this particular HDD?
Do I need a HDD cooler? And if so, what is a good brand/model?

a12ctic
05-23-06, 10:03 PM
my hds are running at 35C and 37C so that does seem a little hot...

SLippe
05-23-06, 10:08 PM
But what kind do you have?

UPDATE: Okay, it looks like there is a bug with some of the WD drives. So, I really doubt it is running that hot. Plus, I have two 80mm fans right by it in the front part of the case and the drive sits towards the top of the fans so all the air goes underneath the drive. So, again, I seriously doubt my drive is that hot. Okay, exnay on the cooler then.

supra
05-23-06, 10:54 PM
from what ive read. if you can touch your hdd by hand and hold it without burning your finger then its fine :D

Roadhog
05-23-06, 11:19 PM
i'd belive thoes temps... I had a WD 250gb in my case w/o a fan or anything on it.. I looked at the temp in speedfan and it said like 55c, So i didn't belive it and went to touch the hard drive... Bad idea, It was really, really, hot. After that I got a nice hard drive cooler. It just bolts to the bottum of the drive and has 2 fans on it and works awesome, the hd temps never go over 30c.

a12ctic
05-23-06, 11:37 PM
ones a WD 80gig the others a WD 40 gig

Bearclaw
05-24-06, 12:06 AM
That seems really high. My hard drive runs about 32 C without any cooling. After I got the cooling fan on it, it runs at about 27 C. I would check something out, because that soudns super hot to me and the heat will kill it sooner than later. Ecspecially at 55C.

SLippe
05-24-06, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and get a HDD Cooler. I've found a couple at CompUSA for like $10.

nekrosoft13
05-24-06, 08:52 AM
my hitachis and seagate runs around 27-34 depending on room temperature

Riptide
05-24-06, 09:09 AM
7200RPM drives usually don't require active cooling. Strange.

jeffmd
05-24-06, 03:04 PM
MOST good cases have a fan mount right infront of the drive bay. I have found in all cases that a low noise/cfm fan is more then enough to keep a drive cool to the touch.

a12ctic
05-24-06, 07:25 PM
ive never had a drive thats needed to be cooled, maby its just because i buy cheapy drives :p

Son Goku
05-24-06, 10:33 PM
Those temps do seem high... I'd be crapping my pants if my devices were running 1 degree C below their rated spec. Mind you, I prefer my CPUs cooler then that, even though technically they're rated to go higher.

Other then that, I use a hard drive cooler, though I have 10k rpm drives. As a general rule of thumb (and definitely not meant to replace an actual temp which one is reading, or the mfg's own rated spec) is that a 5,400 rpm HD probably won't need a HD cooler if the case is well ventalated and with in reasonable temps. 10,000 or 15,000 rpm drives I'd definitely recommend cooling (and actually with my Cheetah's, Seagate's own site recommended it also for the Cheetahs).

7,200 rpm drives, use your judgement I guess. Ambient case temp will also matter for obvious reasons, in addition to drive temp...

SLippe
05-24-06, 11:12 PM
But what kind do you have?

UPDATE: Okay, it looks like there is a bug with some of the WD drives. So, I really doubt it is running that hot. Plus, I have two 80mm fans right by it in the front part of the case and the drive sits towards the top of the fans so all the air goes underneath the drive. So, again, I seriously doubt my drive is that hot. Okay, exnay on the cooler then.
^^ Hello?

Riptide
05-25-06, 12:09 AM
15K RPM Cheetahs - active cooling is a requirement if you want your warranty to be valid. Per their documentation if I recall correctly.

WD recommends active cooling for the Raptor series. Not sure about warranty impact there however.

SLippe
05-25-06, 07:10 PM
Well, I thought I might have figured it out. The temp for HD0 in SpeedFan was the same as my GPU temp (not listed in SpeedFan) or so I thought. I got my temps down on my GPU but the HD0 temp didn't move, at least not right away. However, then I clicked on the In-depth Online Analysis and it gave my all kinds of info on my HD0. I guess it could still be reading the wrong temp. Does SpeedFan normally display GPU temp or no? I just have a real hard time believing my HDD is running that hot, especially with two 80mm fans right in front of it blowing underneath it. (front intake fans) I dunno. I guess I'll buy a HDD Cooler and see if the temps in SpeedFan drop or not. If not, then I guess it could be displaying the GPU temps in the HD0 slot.

Greg
05-26-06, 06:53 AM
You could try measuring the temperature with a thermometer to verify. I used one of those whether thermometers with the sensor hanging on a wire pressed against the HDD. My old IBM DeathStar drive was over 50degC and lasted for years. I eventually got a longer IDE cable and moved it into a 5"1/4' bay with a fan behind it, cooled it down a few degrees, was too hot to touch before. ~34degC might be hot for some, but my room can get to 40degC by itself, blame the equator.