View Full Version : The New Control Panel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jAkUp
05-24-06, 12:48 PM
So... do you like it?

Richteralan
05-24-06, 12:50 PM
I'm like half and half.

The new interface is good and provides more function but certainly needs more polish.

The old interface is faster..

nekrosoft13
05-24-06, 12:51 PM
well i kind of like the idea, but don't like the current state it is in.

its way to big, they should try to make it smaller. especially when you install ntune and go into performance, you have to scrool sideway to see the entire page, its way to big.

needs to be more uniformed too

protoNium
05-24-06, 01:24 PM
I like the features in it, but I don't like the layout...

|MaguS|
05-24-06, 01:39 PM
Nope, I wish they would stick with the original. Its nice, direct and simple.

Talon
05-24-06, 01:53 PM
I've tried it on a new Dell Laptop I have here at work. It's fast so no problems there but my first thought is....why? What does this interface offer over the regular control panel really? It just seems to be a new way of accessing the same information. Is it an easier way? I guess I'll have to play with it a bit more but so far it just seems different, not easier. In fact, occasionally having to resize the window depending on what feature I am currently in makes it clumsier. Maybe it just needs some more tweaking. :D

jAkUp
05-24-06, 01:53 PM
I dunno if I like it much... it seems like things that take normally one click to do, take like 3 menus of navigating to get to.

I suppose this new interface is good for new people, but for guys like us who are enthusiasts, I think its quite a bit more difficult.

AthlonXP1800
05-24-06, 01:57 PM
well i kind of like the idea, but don't like the current state it is in.

its way to big, they should try to make it smaller. especially when you install ntune and go into performance, you have to scrool sideway to see the entire page, its way to big.

needs to be more uniformed too

Agreed, I need them to make it smaller. I like both new and old control panel. :)

AthlonXP1800
05-24-06, 02:00 PM
I suppose this new interface is good for new people, but for guys like us who are enthusiasts, I think its quite a bit more difficult.

I think you like me need to learn to adapt it, same way as what the borgs do. :D

http://www.geocities.com/redmondrose/Victory1_files/borgs.jpg

Bill Gate voiceover: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Demanufakture
05-24-06, 02:00 PM
It is going to take some getting used to but I actually like it. I found it just as easy to use once I figured out where every thing was. I haven't had any problems with the new control panel and this set works great with GRAW and BF2 on my system. I think nvidia is making a step in the right direction because, like Jakup said, sure us experienced users are now having to change our driver routines because of the new interface but new comers to pc gaming will probably find the new control panel easier and more informative of an interface than the old one was.

|MaguS|
05-24-06, 02:07 PM
I don't like it... too user friendly and too many menus.
The classic has more information on one tab and it's quicker to navigate....

True, You have to click a ton just to get to where you want to check the settings, with the original you clicked a single option on the side and you had everything in that option.

einstein_314
05-24-06, 02:10 PM
At first it was not so good...because I didn't know where anything was. But now that I know where these things are, it's not too bad. But I do definately like the old CP better. It was perfect. Simple and to the point.

saturnotaku
05-24-06, 02:21 PM
The new CP certainly has the looks. The old one, though, is easier to use from top to bottom, yet is very thorough as far as features the user can adjust and doesn't hog system resources. I don't like the new CP, and I hope NVIDIA will continue to offer users the option to use the old one, unlike ATI who has now forced everyone into Catalyst Control Center.

Superfly
05-24-06, 02:36 PM
I dont mind it, its not great either.

TBH I would rather a decent face lift of the old panel. as for the 1000's of user hours testing this thing was meant to have had by now I think its buggy as hell - sure as hell was'nt me doing any of the testing!!!

I've got a list of bugs and feature requests to put into NV tonight or tommorrow - i'll most likely link them to this poll as well.

Peoples-Agent
05-24-06, 03:36 PM
I prefer the old one, it's nice and compact inside the properties menu.
WTF would I want to configure my graphics settings inside a web browser type interface.

While we're at it ....let's just turn Control Panel into a website, or how about a Macromedia windows backbone.

agentkay
05-24-06, 03:39 PM
I like it, especially that it isnīt a resource hog, doesnīt need .NET and the old one can still be selected. It needs some polishing as others have said but NV is on the right way.

squall_leonhart
05-24-06, 04:05 PM
Nope, I wish they would stick with the original. Its nice, direct and simple.

Agreed

FlakMagnet
05-24-06, 04:27 PM
I just installed the new drivers (after an uninstall of the old ones), and I don't get the new CP :thumbdwn:

Checked in the Windows Control Panel, and there was no new icon, and don't get the new CP if I right-click on the desktop either :(

I am on Win2K - does the new CP work with that, or just WinXP?

I do however like the look of the new CP - from screenshots I've seen :)

AliceCooper
05-24-06, 05:05 PM
I've tried it on a new Dell Laptop I have here at work. It's fast so no problems there but my first thought is....why? What does this interface offer over the regular control panel really? It just seems to be a new way of accessing the same information. Is it an easier way? I guess I'll have to play with it a bit more but so far it just seems different, not easier. In fact, occasionally having to resize the window depending on what feature I am currently in makes it clumsier. Maybe it just needs some more tweaking. :D

Why????? Because of the next behomoth of an OS to ship called Vista!!!

Sticky Mick
05-24-06, 05:14 PM
Ok, so which version of the drivers does this new CP ship with? I've got 84.21 which are the latest from the nVidia site, but I've still got the old CP.

squall_leonhart
05-24-06, 05:32 PM

Salamandar
05-24-06, 05:55 PM
I don't like it, it is not well designed !
Give me tab based control panel.

OWA
05-24-06, 06:18 PM
I voted that I like it (but I'm half and half also). I think it is perfect for the casual user, for computers at work, etc. but for gamers or people accessing it a lot, I'd like to be able to get to some options a little more quickly. I do really like the approach they took with the windows look and feel. I think that part is excellent.

SLippe
05-24-06, 11:08 PM
No, I don't like it.

However, I see potential in it, but it reminds me of that inventor from years ago that invented things that actually made the original task more difficult or take longer. One example is a machine he made to simply crack an egg open...it took like a minute or so to watch all the gadgets go around, get clicked, knocked over, etc. to finally a little hammer or something hit the egg on top.

I agree with someone else in this thread that said something to the fact that this new cp offers nothing over the old one.

supra
05-24-06, 11:24 PM
dont like it. reminds me of Windows Help