PDA

View Full Version : Sony bans used games ?

Pages : [1] 2

msxyz
05-24-06, 02:23 PM
High street games shops have been told by Sony that
there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will
be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games
that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that
will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid
money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to
play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony
property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately
be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which
currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to
counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are
only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth
buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following s
tatement: "We have made all of the official announcements at
E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will
be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

This article came from GamesRadar http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006

The rumor first surfaced a few months ago but, at the time, it originated from a vague patent covering a content protection system. But now, if this information come from retailers, there might be a bit more of truth in it.

I do wonder if the laws of civil and modern countries allow for such blasphemies.

ENU291
05-24-06, 02:35 PM
NO freaking way! Wow... if this article is true then Sony has just alienated most of their fan base. Sony is commiting one stupid move after another.

LiquidX
05-24-06, 02:37 PM
I am pretty sure this was debunked awhile back but I will try and find the article. I cant see this happening being that used games are a big part of EBgames and Gamestop's business.

Zelda_fan
05-24-06, 02:37 PM
After the PS3, Sony will never again make another console. It's a dream come true.

Thanks, Sony. We couldn't have done it without you.

(nana2)

msxyz
05-24-06, 02:42 PM
In Japan it's quite a common practice, more that in any other country. I wonder how it would be received, over there. Does Sony plan to make an exception for the home market ? Otherwise I can see Nintendo totally dominating japan (and maybe microsoft seeling 1000 units more a week :lol: )

msxyz
05-24-06, 02:45 PM
I am pretty sure this was debunked awhile back but I will try and find the article. I cant see this happening being that used games are a big part of EBgames and Gamestop's business.
The rumors circulating a few months ago was about a copy protection system that binded the physical media to a certain machine to prevent lease, resale or duplication.

Sony did debunk it back then, after the patent was 'discovered.' This seems to be something slightly different. Odd that this time Sony didn't comment on the matter... It would be against their interest to let such negative rumors run rampart. Unless, it's actually true...

CaptNKILL
05-24-06, 02:46 PM
Wow... this is beyond rediculous... is this even legal?

ENU291
05-24-06, 02:50 PM
Where the hell is Magus and Bad_Boy to de-bunk these vicious rumors? Fan boyz to the rescue!!! :D

msxyz
05-24-06, 02:58 PM
The source has proven itself unreliable in the past.

Let's hope this is the case, too. Otherwise it would be a sad day for people looking forward to the PS3, as if the step price were not enough.

Athena
05-24-06, 03:00 PM
Wow... this is beyond rediculous... is this even legal?

Most PC software is already like this. So yes it is legal.
Will they go through with it? I do not see how they can stop us from doing it. Otherwise then it would also stop me from taking my game to a buddies house to play. This better not be real.

Bad_Boy
05-24-06, 03:25 PM
Same people who said the cheaper ps3 sku didnt have wireless controllers?
I remember hearing some **** about this "no used games" stuff in 2005, afaik it was fud.

CaptNKILL
05-24-06, 03:27 PM
Most PC software is already like this. So yes it is legal.
Will they go through with it? I do not see how they can stop us from doing it. Otherwise then it would also stop me from taking my game to a buddies house to play. This better not be real.
No, this is quite a bit different. Its only illegal to install software to be used on more than one PC. And game stores are still allowed to sell second hand software, anyone can sell it as long as they dont continue to use it themselves (obviously thats hard to control, but I think a surprising amount of people actually follow those rules).

This Sony deal is saying that no one can sell or give away second hand games, regardless of whether they copied it or not. So if you buy a game and hate it, you're legally screwed by Sony.

With software, you can do whatever you want with it if you dont like it. The laws only say that you can no longer use it yourself if you do get rid of it.

PikachuMan
05-24-06, 03:52 PM
As always, please exercise critical thinking when considering these rumors.

LurkerLito
05-24-06, 03:55 PM
Well I doubt this is true, but if it is Sony might as well cancel the thing as a gaming console and just market it as a cheap blue ray player. If they really did do this there would be a major backlash from gamers. Hell if it gets any mainstream coverage and isn't immediately debunked by a sony official I can see them really taking a huge hit in the US market.

I know with my 360 I bought 3 new games when I got the system, but now I am no longer looking at the new games section, I am waiting for stuff to show up in the used section cause $60 is too much for games. Hell I bought Oblivion for the PC cause it was $40 and mods would be available easily for it. I don't think there is one game out there that is really worth the full $60 price tag on the 360.

CaptNKILL
05-24-06, 03:55 PM
As always, please exercise critical thinking when considering these rumors.
Yeah, I have no plans of buying a playstation of any kind, but I hope this is false. This is very bad for the gaming industry in general. VERY bad.

msxyz
05-24-06, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I have no plans of buying a playstation of any kind, but I hope this is false. This is very bad for the gaming industry in general. VERY bad.
Why, the industry would love that!

Don't you remember the hissy rant by Mark Rein the last year ?

I agree that's a bad thing for us consumers, though. Yet, indirectly the industry benefits from the used game market, too. Because people are keen on buying more games if they know they can resell them or trade. The market expands and with it the number of potential customers.

Parts
05-24-06, 05:09 PM
If it were true.

How many people have taken their own games over to their friends to play on their systems?

This would eliminate that, and eliminate a HUGE marketing tool, ive bought games that friends have brought over and played at my house many a time.

agentkay
05-24-06, 05:09 PM
They canīt stop ebayers or other private sellers. I never bought used games at retail anyway because they were always too overpriced.

superklye
05-24-06, 05:33 PM
Seriously though, what are they/can they do to stop you from selling a game to your friend?

Bad_Boy
05-24-06, 09:44 PM
for the 2098098320982th time, this is complete FUD rumored out by a bogus site. gamesradar is the inquierer of game websites.

Son Goku
05-24-06, 10:00 PM
Without something similar to a system of activation this would be almost mote. And unless they put a hardware identifier in each console, just how would they do this? Microsoft's system looks for hardware changes after one has activated it. But hardware changes to a console you can't open up? It's not like one can change the CPU or what not in a console, the the MS scheme would never work. As long as the hardware is standardized... If they did it with peripheral devices, well they're peripheral and can be easily plugged/unplugged from slots. That would be akin to making a mouse/controller determine if it's the same box. That's something Microsoft themselves wouldn't even attempt (at least thus far).

Perhaps, if they had a code (but wait, unless it's installed, and only runs off the disk, without a keypad with 26 letters and all to enter it), they could perhaps do something with online games. But with single player?

This is likely FUD. And though they could tell places like EB and Gamestop that they can't buy games back again, this could simply result in people giving their used games away for free (where no second sale took place). The friends given it (considering one had no other way to sell it) wouldn't even have to buy it second hand then...

Nv40
05-24-06, 10:14 PM
If it were true.

How many people have taken their own games over to their friends to play on their systems?

This would eliminate that, and eliminate a HUGE marketing tool, ive bought games that friends have brought over and played at my house many a time.

the news is another storm in a cup of water...

From Jennie Kong, UK PR manager at SCEE:
"I would like to clarify that this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/11/15/sonys_clampdown_on_secondhand_games_updated.html

THe issue is not that you play your games in your friends house or vice.. is when retailers sells used games or when they lease games. a money that will not return to the developers or publishers . I think that the right thing to do is support the developers for their hard work.That will help them to continue releasing more quality games.

You still will be able to trade your games with your friends since games will not be limited for a single console. and there still will be free demos from games before purchasing them .Regardless of the FUD that many times comes from that site . WHat Sony should do is stop public sales of used games whether they are in ebay ,amazon or gamestop. Suporting developers is the only way to get more quality games. :)

Mr_LoL
05-24-06, 10:55 PM
I hope its not true. If it is, it seems that Sony are desperate for every dollar they can get and are in dire financial trouble. You can only test the patience of your fanbase so much.

Peoples-Agent
05-24-06, 11:15 PM
Its a load of tosh.... wait and see.
Otherwise they would apply the rule across the board to DVDs aswell, piracy is growing enough as it is, they wouldn't encourage it even more.

msxyz
05-25-06, 01:18 AM
Some of you are missing the point. The article is about a legal measure intended to prevent the re-sale of used games (sort of EULA); it would primarily affect stores. It's not intended to prevent sharing among friends, nor private trading. And it doesn't invlove any DRM of sort (this rumor was debunked by Sony some months ago already)

I don't see this as a remote possibility, because both Sony and the publishers would gladly shut the second hand market for good. Microsoft already did this: do you see any Windows or Office 2nd hand copy sold at the stores ? While Microsoft (or Sony) would probably loose in a legal litigation over the whole EULA scheme (In Europe there were a couple of cases) but I don't see many individuals with the nerve and the money to take a frontal assault on them.

And Sony, with the PSP european launch fiasco, has showed that it's determined to fight those who don't agree to their vision (sueing importers... a nice way of threatening people)

Rest assured that there won't be any exotic copy protection scheme that will require autentication or such crap but I won't be surprised to see a EULA popping up before the game, just like the DVD movie warnings against piracy.