PDA

View Full Version : The PS3 and Wii are both vaporware at this point.

Pages : [1] 2

oldsk00l
05-24-06, 05:56 PM
Deny it, please, I would love to debate this with you.

The reason is because it's not out yet, most of what is flamed around on here is based on speculation. No running consoles are confirmed to even exist yet just dev kits...and here we are...running our mouths off.

If the PS3, based on the info we have, comes out like it is being touted...its not as much value as the Wii.

Now, if the Wii doesn't hold up to it's promises, and the implementation just isn't as smooth as we'd all like it to be - it's gonna be one royal hunk of junk and it will FLOP.....HORRIBLY....that's all ;)

vampireuk
05-24-06, 07:27 PM
Was there not a playable version of the Wii at E3? If so then it is not vaporware.

Mr. Hunt
05-24-06, 08:42 PM
Umm.... at least E3 wasn't the 360 only dev kits... and that still launched in November? :\

oldsk00l
05-24-06, 09:05 PM
Was there not a playable version of the Wii at E3? If so then it is not vaporware.

When it's OUT, it's not vaporware. If it's not for sale it's not exactly an option nor worth debating now is it?

Sazar
05-24-06, 10:11 PM
I dunno, if there is a fully functioning, working model of the product and fully functioning games to utilise it, it's hard to call it vaporware.

Vaporware is usually for a product the has been announced and/or marketed, but has not been produced, the Wii appears to have been produced.

oldsk00l
05-24-06, 10:14 PM
By all indications, it's all dev kits. A real running console of either has yet to be shown in final spec.

Banko
05-24-06, 10:15 PM
Well there is the whole thing about how the Rev consoles in E3 were empty and everything was connected to gamecubes..

Son Goku
05-24-06, 10:17 PM
Or Vaporware being something that keeps getting announced, but the release deadlines keep slipping. If the companies start anouncing delay after delay, and we're into mid-2008 and still hearing about "how great it will be, only once released" then I'll probably join in and call it vapor... Now admittedly, I do remember reading of delays wrt PS3 (many figured it was due to the inclusion of a Blu Ray drive). Perhaps I did miss it, but hadn't at least yet heard that Wii is being delayed...

True, it's not a viable product that we can chose to buy today; however if they do have kits, and are ready to move forward? One final note on this is that a time is likely to come where product will be available in Japan, before it's launched in the US. If, as some have been saying there will be a Japanese launch first; then it would definitely not be vapor, even if peeps in the US couldn't get it (well outside of buying it over seas and importing it that is)...

oldsk00l
05-24-06, 10:38 PM
Or Vaporware being something that keeps getting announced, but the release deadlines keep slipping. If the companies start anouncing delay after delay, and we're into mid-2008 and still hearing about "how great it will be, only once released" then I'll probably join in and call it vapor... Now admittedly, I do remember reading of delays wrt PS3 (many figured it was due to the inclusion of a Blu Ray drive). Perhaps I did miss it, but hadn't at least yet heard that Wii is being delayed...

True, it's not a viable product that we can chose to buy today; however if they do have kits, and are ready to move forward? One final note on this is that a time is likely to come where product will be available in Japan, before it's launched in the US. If, as some have been saying there will be a Japanese launch first; then it would definitely not be vapor, even if peeps in the US couldn't get it (well outside of buying it over seas and importing it that is)...

My point is that there sure is a lot of flaming and speculation going on..with some people acting as if they have some kind of authority as to the quality of the final product. The reality is, there is no final product.

DNF has long been called vaporware, but builds of it have existed throughout its development. It exists, and I'm sure will someday get released. Look at the business and its slip ups. Look at the promises made and all the hype and look at what ACTUALLY gets delivered. The products may ship and be of quite good quality, but are not what they were hyped or promised to be. That and it's simple fact, if it's not out and it's being hyped...it's vaporware.

I'm sure the PS3 and the Wii will get released. However, until it's out en-masse it's non-existent to the consumer and hence vaporware. So why does anyone bother to argue for or against either?

Bad_Boy
05-24-06, 10:38 PM

The reason is because it's not out yet, most of what is flamed around on here is based on speculation. No running consoles are confirmed to even exist yet just dev kits...and here we are...running our mouths off.

I would love to.

http://xbde3.blogspot.com/
working ps3 prototypes at e3 running ps3 interface demo and warhawk.

as for nintendo...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QYNZ90kB2wk&search=wii%20eject

/thread

its not like the 360 didnt have their dev kits at e3.
hey oldsk00l, just want to let you know, this is completely normal.

PS3 = not vaporware.
Wii = not vaporware.
360 = not vaporware.
Phantom = vaporware.

oldsk00l
05-24-06, 10:58 PM
I would love to.

http://xbde3.blogspot.com/
working ps3 prototypes at e3 running ps3 interface demo and warhawk.

as for nintendo...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QYNZ90kB2wk&search=wii%20eject

/thread

PS3 = not vaporware.
Wii = not vaporware.
360 = not vaporware.
Phantom = vaporware.

/me skeptical, especially of the nintendo video after the whole gamecubes running the show at E3 bit...

As for PS3, great, so that's maybe ONE known PS3 unit in final spec, in the PS3 case, doing its thing. Can you get one on ebay? How can I get a PS3? Can you? Are they at any costco's or walmarts?

Same for Wii, is it out yet? Have you tried them personally? How's the dvd playback? Got any blu-ray movies to test the video quality of PS3? How's the motion sensing of the PS3 controller?

What's the new mario game like to play through for a few hours?

Does the Wii really take all your movements? Or does it just register a few of your movements to set off pre-animated movements?

What's the heat like of the PS3? It get hot after running for two hours? Do they overheat? How's the new dual shock button? What's the new PS3 interface like? Does it do webpages pretty well? Any input devices for it to do text? What's the latency like on the new controllers? How about the Wii's latency?

Does any of this matter right now? Is it worth devoting any energy whatsoever to make a point as to why the PS3 rocks? Does it rock? Do you have one?

:rolleyes:

Man, some people like to be fanboy about sports, but video game companies? As far as I'm concerned they really aren't that passionate about making games. Sony has no style anymore than Nintendo does. It makes money, and in the meantime Microsoft's Peter Moore goes and buddies up to Nintendo folks here and there.

Back when Dreamcast had it's rug pulled, the Sega hw guys were "having drinks" with the Sony guys.

You're all fools for fanboying up behind a system that's not even out yet. I'm buying a Wii, because it's disposable. If it sucks at least I didn't spend 500 bucks on it. But, we'll see, we'll see. Based on what's been shown, it looks the most promising...but why go through the effort of debating technical semantics and speculation about markets and what YOU think people want.

Sony can piss off for all I care, and so can Microsoft and Nintendo. If they concoct something worth buying into, great, here's my money - thanks - now go work on something else if you want any more of my damn money and piss off.

Brand loyalty is for insipid weak minded fools.

Bad_Boy
05-24-06, 11:27 PM
wow oldsk00l, you have dropped to a new all time low.

so according to your logic, your basically saying, if a console has a release date, has hardware playing games, but if you cannot buy it yet, its vaporware? to put even more simple, your saying if a console is not out yet, its vaporware? right.

if you wanted to know how things worked so bad maybe you should have attended e3.

just because we dont agree with your insane logic you call us all weak minded fanboys? umm ok.

how about you just ****ing wait until november, cause your really not making any sense right now. i promise you, youll have all your answers before the year is over, just wait.

oldsk00l
05-24-06, 11:49 PM

so according to your logic, your basically saying, if a console has a release date, has hardware playing games, but if you cannot buy it yet, its vaporware? to put even more simple, your saying if a console is not out yet, its vaporware? right.

if you wanted to know how things worked so bad maybe you should have attended e3.

just because we dont agree with your insane logic you call us all weak minded fanboys? umm ok.

how about you just ****ing wait until november, cause your really not making any sense right now. i promise you, youll have all your answers before the year is over, just wait.

The all time low is reprehensibly defending something that is intangible to you. Insane logic eh? Whatever. November will come, and perhaps even the PS3. But you have no ability to purport with creedence nor guarantee the quality and value of the final product. All you can do is speculate, and claim that PS3 is going to be a better system without knowing what the QA will be like.

If there's any insane logic, it's yours. The logic that "Well, it's Sony, so it must be great" or the logic of some other people who are like "Well, it's Nintendo, so it must be great".

Sickening. And yes, vaporware, if you have to go through an extraordinary length to buy one it's vaporware. Thus the 360 was vaporware for a short while after launch. I don't find this unreasonable, and the line between the PS3 being vaporware and say DNF or Twilight Princess. Screenshots and non-public demo's do not constitute product.

Bad_Boy
05-25-06, 12:23 AM
If there's any insane logic, it's yours. The logic that "Well, it's Sony, so it must be great" or the logic of some other people who are like "Well, it's Nintendo, so it must be great".

Umm...wtf. Where did I say such things? You're starting to resort to putting things in my mouth because I said your thick logic doesnt make any sense what so ever?

ok. like i said. this is a new low for you.
putting you on ignore. I hope mods lock this pointless and senseless thread.

edit:
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5193/ignore5rh.jpg
:D

MustangSVT
05-25-06, 01:09 AM
I

PS3 = not vaporware.
Wii = not vaporware.
360 = not vaporware.
Phantom = vaporware.

I agree with this guy completely. Did the Xbox360 have "fully" playable units at E3 '05? I believe they also only had dev kits running all the games they were showing.

The only thing that's vaporware is the Phantom, or the Crossfire editions of ATI cards (ok I saw a X1900XT Crossfire today at local store, so maybe I'm wrong).

six_storm
05-25-06, 01:33 AM
I agree with the fact that if it isn't out and capable of being in a consumer's hands that it is vaporware. Why? Sony and Nintendo COULD make last minute changes to their hardware for their new systems!!!! OMG!!!

And as far as I've seen around the net, PS3 playable stuff was running on a PC with a Blu Ray disc drive. Let me go try to find that pic for you guys . . . hope I can still find it. It was something like a guy was playing a PS3 game and it froze so the Sony guy came over and ejected a Blu-Ray burned disc out of a PC tower and restarted the system or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Last year, the 360 stuff was running off of Power Macs lol.

Brimstone7
05-25-06, 01:50 AM
There is a 100% chance of both the PS3 and the Wii being released. Therefore it's not vaporware. Hell I would even go so far as to say that the PS4 and PS5 are not vaporware because we all know they are coming out eventually.

LiquidX
05-25-06, 01:51 AM
I agree with the fact that if it isn't out and capable of being in a consumer's hands that it is vaporware. Why? Sony and Nintendo COULD make last minute changes to their hardware for their new systems!!!! OMG!!!

And as far as I've seen around the net, PS3 playable stuff was running on a PC with a Blu Ray disc drive. Let me go try to find that pic for you guys . . . hope I can still find it. It was something like a guy was playing a PS3 game and it froze so the Sony guy came over and ejected a Blu-Ray burned disc out of a PC tower and restarted the system or something like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Last year, the 360 stuff was running off of Power Macs lol.

Making last minute changes to a product is in no way vaporware. If thats the case everything would pretty much be considerd vaporware.

If the PS3, based on the info we have, comes out like it is being touted...its not as much value as the Wii.

Now, if the Wii doesn't hold up to it's promises, and the implementation just isn't as smooth as we'd all like it to be - it's gonna be one royal hunk of junk and it will FLOP.....HORRIBLY....that's all ;)

So you actually believe Sony or Nintendo will not release a new console? Thats on the same level as saying MS will not go ahead and release Windows Vista or Epic will not release UT07. I cant honestly believe you think there is chance of these products will not be released especialy after a big event such as E3. I dont think you now much about the console world because its very normal for games to be running on devkits instead of final hardware.

Zelda_fan
05-25-06, 02:57 AM

We are talking about video games here BADBOY! He dropped to an "all time low" because of his stance regarding video games? ROFLMAO!!! I mean, oldsk00l HAS to be a ****ty person becasue he thinks the PS3 is vap0rware! lmao.... thanks badboy you made my day.

Ninjaman09
05-25-06, 09:21 AM

You missed his point. He's saying that because none of the systems are available at this point it is irrational to compare the systems. They are incomplete, subject to change, and most importantly, unavailable to consumers in any capacity which would allow for an objective comparison. A very reasonable statement if you ask me.

That said I'm very excited about the possibilities the Wii can provide. It interests me most out of the lineup. But that's just impressions I've got from marketing materials and E3 videos. I'm in no position to say that Wii is superior to PS3, or vice versa. You're getting caught up on the word "vaporware" but it's really just hyperbole used to illustrate the main point.

ENU291
05-25-06, 09:46 AM
What I'm getting out of oldk00l's arguement is that it is silly for fanboys to say statements like "the PS3 is better because the Cell processor RULES ALL!!" when in reality he knows nothing about the Cell or any other component in the PS3's design. Fan boys ranting about a console that is not even out yet is a waste of time and effort. Valid comparisions can only be made once you have a retail Xbox360 and a retail PS3 side by side.

Bad_Boy
05-25-06, 10:02 AM
We are talking about video games here BADBOY! He dropped to an "all time low" because of his stance regarding video games? ROFLMAO!!! I mean, oldsk00l HAS to be a ****ty person becasue he thinks the PS3 is vap0rware! lmao.... thanks badboy you made my day.
no he resorted to calling us weak minded fanboys because we dont agree with his statements. what kind of **** is that. laugh all you want, id rather laugh after i put him on ignore.

You missed his point. He's saying that because none of the systems are available at this point it is irrational to compare the systems. They are incomplete, subject to change, and most importantly, unavailable to consumers in any capacity which would allow for an objective comparison. A very reasonable statement if you ask me.

maybe you missed where he said that there are no running ps3's or nintendo wii's running, i proved him wrong on that. he puts words in my mouth about ps3 being great and almighty, and then goes to saying im weak minded because i didnt agree with his vaporware logic. umm ok.

You're all fools for fanboying up behind a system that's not even out yet.
ok, so im a fool because i know what i want to buy before the thing i want to buy is released?
its not about being a fanboy, its about knowing what i want to spend my money on for what it does.

im done with this thread. not even evilchris is this bad :p

Ninjaman09
05-25-06, 10:13 AM
maybe you missed where he said that there are no running ps3's or nintendo wii's running, i proved him wrong on that. he puts words in my mouth about ps3 being great and almighty, and then goes to saying im weak minded because i didnt agree with his vaporware logic. umm ok.
Again, you missed the point. You are focusing on his use of the word "vaporware" when what he was trying to say is that it's stupid to compare products that aren't yet available. "Wanting to buy" something and being a fanboy are two different things.

six_storm
05-25-06, 10:35 AM
Making last minute changes to a product is in no way vaporware. If thats the case everything would pretty much be considerd vaporware.

What if Sony decided to include another feature or took out a specific feature in the PS3? Would that not make the current "PS3" not in final spec? I hope that made sense. I'm just saying that Sony and Nintendo have the power (duh) to change the hardware in their systems just because it has not been released into consumer's hands yet. Therefore, yeah, this would kinda make it vaporware.

LiquidX
05-25-06, 11:59 AM
What if Sony decided to include another feature or took out a specific feature in the PS3? Would that not make the current "PS3" not in final spec? I hope that made sense. I'm just saying that Sony and Nintendo have the power (duh) to change the hardware in their systems just because it has not been released into consumer's hands yet. Therefore, yeah, this would kinda make it vaporware.

I dont think it "kinda" makes it vaporware at all. Vaporware is the Phantom console not the PS3 or Wii which we are 100% certain will be released. Calling the PS3 are Wii vapoware is basically saying there is chance they wont be released. And after seeing all that we have do you honestly think that?

Saying the PS3 and Wii is vaporware is flat out wrong because if we use that logic even when we are certain we will see these products then everything is vaporware until its released and I dont think thats why the definition was coined.