PDA

View Full Version : Why is my PC scoring low on 3DMark05

kwynjunk
05-25-06, 07:50 AM
I have FX60, 2Gig Corsair XMS, Evga 7900GTX, I only score 10,407 when others with a very similar setup score 13,000

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP

DirectX Version 9.0c

Mobo Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Mobo Model A8N32-SLI-Deluxe

AGP Rates (Current/Available) N/A / N/A

CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 2612 MHz

FSB 200 MHz

Memory 2048 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

Driver Version 8.4.2.1

Driver Status WHQL - FM Approved

Video Memory 512 MB

Core Clock N/A

Memory Clock N/A

Benchmark Settings
Program Version 3DMark05 Revision 2 Build 0

Resolution 1024x768@32 bit

Anti-Aliasing None

Texture Filtering Optimal

Vertex Shader Profile 3_0

Pixel Shader Profile 3_0

Force Full Precision Off

Disable DST Off

Disable Post-processing Off

Force Software Vertex Shaders Off

Color Mipmaps Off

Repeat Count Off

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 10407 3DMarks

CPU Score 6158 CPUMarks

Detailed Test Results

Game Tests
GT1 - Return To Proxycon 42.1 fps

GT2 - Firefly Forest 32.8 fps

GT3 - Canyon Flight 52.2 fps

CPU Tests
CPU Test 1 2.8 fps

CPU Test 2 6.0 fps

Feature Tests
Fill Rate - Single-Texturing N/A

Fill Rate - Multi-Texturing N/A

Pixel Shader N/A

Vertex Shader - Simple N/A

Vertex Shader - Complex N/A

Batch Size Tests
8 Triangles N/A

32 Triangles N/A

128 Triangles N/A

512 Triangles N/A

2048 Triangles N/A

32768 Triangles N/A

verboten
05-25-06, 08:52 AM
This is odd. Our systems are very close. Yesterday, I flashed to the new a8n32 bios and installed the new 90 beta drivers. I am not new to system building and setup so every thing is set correctly in bios and contol panel. Well, I benched with 3dmark05 and only got a score of around 10000k(SLI enabled). The last time I ran it I was right aroung 15000K. What MB BIOS are you using? Oh yeah, I also installed the new AMD dual core driver.

Being a system builder, I should have known better to do so many updates at one time without testing each one. Maybe its time to do a fire up windows restore and go back a few days. and if that does not work. Go back to an older BIOS.

kwynjunk
05-25-06, 09:19 AM
This is odd. Our systems are very close. Yesterday, I flashed to the new a8n32 bios and installed the new 90 beta drivers. I am not new to system building and setup so every thing is set correctly in bios and contol panel. Well, I benched with 3dmark05 and only got a score of around 10000k(SLI enabled). The last time I ran it I was right aroung 15000K. What MB BIOS are you using? Oh yeah, I also installed the new AMD dual core driver.

Being a system builder, I should have known better to do so many updates at one time without testing each one. Maybe its time to do a fire up windows restore and go back a few days. and if that does not work. Go back to an older BIOS.

Im not on that system right now, but I'm pretty sure I used the latest BIOS. I only have 1 card, but people with 1 7900GTX and similar setup to mine were scoring 13000's.

I have not installed the AMD Dual driver. Stupid me, I didn't even know there was one. Should I do this??

I have only built p4 systems in the past and this is my 1st AMD, and my 1st dual core.

Xion X2
05-25-06, 11:06 AM
You're not that far off.

What kind of a processor do you have? An X2 or FX60? (You stated both.)

With my system completely stock (no OC'ng on the CPU or GPU) I ran a 10,480 in 3DM05. With my GPU and CPU OC'd now, my highest is 11,671.

Make sure your memory is running in dual-channel; I know that was one of my problems when I was first starting out with all this stuff. That can knock 500 or so points off your score, but it looks to me like you're right around what you should be.

If guys are running 13,000, they're overclocking the hell out of their systems because I can't come near that and neither can my buddy with his 1900XT.

kwynjunk
05-25-06, 11:16 AM
You're not that far off.

With my system completely stock (no OC'ng on the CPU or GPU) I ran a 10,480 in 3DM05. With my GPU and CPU OC'd now, my highest is 11,671.

Make sure your memory is running in dual-channel; I know that was one of my problems when I was first starting out with all this stuff. That can knock 500 or so points off your score, but it looks to me like you're right around what you should be.

If guys are running 13,000, they're overclocking the hell out of their systems because I can't come near that and neither can my buddy with his 1900XT.

fx60, not sure why 3dmark05 is listing it as x2 though

Xion X2
05-25-06, 11:17 AM
P.S.--No, the dual-core driver is not required. I just now installed it after owning my machine for over a month and can tell no difference in performance. I've heard that it does offer certain optimizations, however, so you may want to install it anyway.

Also, your graphics driver is outdated. You may want to take a look at www.guru3d.com and download some later ForceWare beta drivers (they work fine; I've never had an issue). Good ones to look for are 84.43, 84.56, and 91.28.

91.28 is the newest and has anti-aliasing built into the driver. You still can't force it through the hardware when using HDR but you don't need to because it is automatically enabled when you install it on your system, so all your games will have that 'clean look' just like you're using 2-4x AA. It makes a big difference on games that use HDR (like Oblivion).

Xion X2
05-25-06, 11:22 AM
Also, what type of power supply you have? I need brand name and amperage on the 12v rail. Dual or single 12v rail?

kwynjunk
05-25-06, 11:27 AM
Also, what type of power supply you have? I need brand name and amperage on the 12v rail. Dual or single 12v rail?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817712003

ASUS 550W A-55GA
Rear Dual Rails +12V output
+3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2A

(not that I know anything about power supplies. i have no idea what all the specs mean on the PS

Xion X2
05-25-06, 11:39 AM
That's okay--those were the specs I needed. The important thing to look for is the amperage across the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rail/rails. The most important one is the 12v, because that is the one that powers your case fans, disc drives, and graphics card(s).

To be perfectly honest, the PSU you have is just--okay. It may or may not be bottlenecking you at this point. It might do you okay unless you decide to start overclocking a little, and then it most likely will crap out on you. Lots of guys have had very bad experiences with dual 12v rail PSU's--me in particular. Me and two buddies of mine all built new systems (with similar specs) with dual-rail PSU's, and every one of us had our PSU's crap out on us.

The problem with dual-rail PSU's is that sometimes, for whatever reason, your system will decide not to pull from the extra 12v rail. Which means, your disk drives, case fans, and graphics card (and sometimes, your processor) will all try to pull from the amps you have on 12v1 instead of looking to 12v2 for more power.

Sucks, eh? This has especially been a problem with AMD-compatible motherboards.

That is why I went with the one I have now, the Silverstone Zeus 560W PSU. It has a single 12v rail rated at 38A (45A peak). I'm OC'ng my entire system on it without a problem and so is my buddy with an Athlon 64 4000+ he's OC'd to 2800mhz and a X1900XT ATi card he's OC'd the crap out of (increased the voltage to 1.7V through the GPU bios.)

So in summation, if you feel your system might be bottlenecked right now, I would look at your PSU, memory, and graphics drivers. Check the voltage on your PSU with a program like Everest Home Edition or there might have been a software package with your motherboard that displays voltage across the board. Make sure each rail is close to what it says on the PSU.

Oh, and welcome to the world of PC's! That Xbox 360 is looking better and better ain't it? :D

verboten
05-25-06, 12:08 PM

FYI, The FX60 is also an X2.
Below is from a bench I did when I had 2 7800's SLI (much Higher than I am getting now). When I first got my 7900's, I was getting in the 15000K everything at stock. Nothing was overclocked

System Configuration

General Information
DirectX Version 9.0c
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 2608 MHz
FSB 200 MHz
Memory 2048 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
Driver Version 8.1.9.8
Video Memory 256 MB
Core Clock 468 MHz
Memory Clock 1197 MHz

Benchmark Settings
Anti-Aliasing None
Pixel Shader Profile 3_0
Force Full Precision Off
Disable DST Off
Color Mipmaps Off
Repeat Count Off

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 12894 3DMarks
CPU Score 6733 CPUMarks

verboten
05-25-06, 12:13 PM
Here is my 7900's

System Configuration

General Information
DirectX Version 9.0c
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 2608 MHz
FSB 200 MHz
Memory 2048 MB

Display Information
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Driver Version 8.4.2.1
Video Memory 512 MB
Core Clock N/A
Memory Clock N/A

Benchmark Settings
Anti-Aliasing None
Pixel Shader Profile 3_0
Force Full Precision Off
Disable DST Off
Color Mipmaps Off
Repeat Count Off

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 10880 3DMarks
CPU Score 6957 CPUMarks

Xion X2
05-25-06, 12:24 PM
When I first got my 7900's, I was getting in the 15000K everything at stock. Nothing was overclocked

I don't think he has an SLI setup. Just a single GTX from what I understand.

kwynjunk
05-25-06, 12:27 PM
I don't think he has an SLI setup. Just a single GTX from what I understand.

I just have 1.

verboten
05-25-06, 09:12 PM
kwynjunk,

Try this,

1. Defrag your C drive, then Reboot (upon restart, close all running programs in the taskbar)
2. Under Performance & Quality Settings, Chose Global driver setting under Active profile.
3. Click Restore if not greyed out, Click Apply
4. Load 3Dmark and make sure everything is set to Default.
5. Post your results here

Thanks

kwynjunk
05-25-06, 09:52 PM
kwynjunk,

Try this,

1. Defrag your C drive, then Reboot (upon restart, close all running programs in the taskbar)
2. Under Performance & Quality Settings, Chose Global driver setting under Active profile.
3. Click Restore if not greyed out, Click Apply
4. Load 3Dmark and make sure everything is set to Default.
5. Post your results here

Thanks

I turned off all background processes I could. I'm running Media Center on that machine and I can't turn off as many as I can on my XP Pro machine (which I am on right now).

I didnt defrag as I just built this machine on Tuesday and there really isn't much on the Drive and I haven't really done anything except install drivers and benchmark. Restore was greyed out and my active setting was already set to global driver.

The other machine is running 3D Mark 05 now. I'll post the results shortly.

Thanks.

RESULT: 10,700 not much of a change. I think it went up a little when i tightened my RAM settings.

The clocks im using are 650/1600

Xion X2
05-26-06, 01:09 AM
Defragging won't make much of a difference (if any) in your framerate; it's main use is to take care of stuttering and loading times.

10,700~ is about where you should be if your cpu and gpu are at stock settings. The only other things I would check would be to make sure your memory is running in dual-channel instead of single-channel and to check the voltage on your PSU through either your BIOS or a software program that came with your motherboard, or Everest Home Edition. Read the voltages on each rail and see how close they are to their respected currents (3.3, 5, 12).

However, as I said, 10,700 sounds about right. You're not likely to hit 11k on a single 7900GTX unless you overclock your system.

kwynjunk
05-26-06, 06:39 AM
Good to know. I figured that 3Dmark didn't really rely on the HDD too much.

I will check power later, but I think when I looked at them in ASUS Probe the voltages were good.

Cool. Im glad I'm where I should be (10700)

Well, I'll start OCing when I feel like I need to and post results then. As of now, I think My rig can handle all my games without an OC.

Thanks for all the help.

Feel free to continue adding advice/suggestions.

Slammin
05-26-06, 08:59 AM
I had no luck with that ram you are using (CE-6 IC chips). Caused system pauses, which subsequently caused lower benchmark scores. This problem only appeared when overclocking the ram beyond about 263 fsb or so. If your ram is oc'd above 260 fsb, try using a divider to get it lower and see if it makes a difference.

This particular problem shows up easily with Aquamark3 btw, so for quick testing, I would use that.

kwynjunk
05-26-06, 09:13 AM
I had no luck with that ram you are using (CE-6 IC chips). Caused system pauses, which subsequently caused lower benchmark scores. This problem only appeared when overclocking the ram beyond about 263 fsb or so. If your ram is oc'd above 260 fsb, try using a divider to get it lower and see if it makes a difference.

This particular problem shows up easily with Aquamark3 btw, so for quick testing, I would use that.

Im running it all at stock speeds right now, but my CPU scores are somewhat lower than others running at the same frequencies, but 3dmark05 doesnt show clock speeds on the 7900GTXs on their website.