PDA

View Full Version : 7900GTX freezing thread closed - but still no solution?

Idoru
05-25-06, 08:27 AM
Has anyone got feedback from a card vendor that it is due to a problem with the card's BIOS? Perhaps the fact that 2D and 3D clocks are not running at the same frequency? Seem to remember that has been a problem with nVidia GPUs in the past...

john19055
05-29-06, 06:40 AM
I never could find a solution to fix my 7900GTX ,I tried the new Bios but it did not help ,I even down clocked the card to see if that would help but it did'nt ,Time to RMA again,what is funny for three days my two 7900GTX EGS worked perfect and then all of the sudden I went to play Q4 and I had artifacts bad and my game would just start going on and off until it blue screen and rebooted.

Idoru
05-29-06, 06:53 AM
My precise symptoms... however, I now have an RMA number from my online vendor, so hopefully I'll have a working one in the next 10 days. In the meantime, however, I've had to waste cash on a basic 6200 to tide me over the RMA process...

john19055
05-29-06, 09:50 AM
I gave up on the 7900GTX EGS all together I had three and they all did the same thing work for a few days and then start messing up,I do not know what is wrong with them but it is something at least the ones that I got from evga,I am going back to the 7900GT SS,I no I will lose 256mb of memory but that only helped in one or two games that I could see and it was not that much ,but when they don't work right the extra 256mb of memory don't manner anyway ,The 7900GT SS is supposed to go though more testing then the normal cards and they come clocked at 600/1600 and they have the 3D voltage raised to 1.45v,so I am crossing my fingers these will be the last set I have to buy.

Blacklash
05-29-06, 12:02 PM
I gave up on the 7900GTX EGS all together I had three and they all did the same thing work for a few days and then start messing up,I do not know what is wrong with them but it is something at least the ones that I got from evga,I am going back to the 7900GT SS,I no I will lose 256mb of memory but that only helped in one or two games that I could see and it was not that much ,but when they don't work right the extra 256mb of memory don't manner anyway ,The 7900GT SS is supposed to go though more testing then the normal cards and they come clocked at 600/1600 and they have the 3D voltage raised to 1.45v,so I am crossing my fingers these will be the last set I have to buy.

Let me know how you like those SS evga GTs. I am thinking about putting two with a Conroe on a nForce 590 board.

Richteralan
05-29-06, 02:29 PM

Well......I would suggest you don't put too much hope on Signature Series. ;)

DarkOneX
05-30-06, 01:44 PM
Well......I would suggest you don't put too much hope on Signature Series. ;)

I WOULD suggest that you DO put hope on it. I have a eVGA 7900GT Signature Series now, have so for a couple weeks now, and it's running marvelous even overclocked to 650/1800 from the stock 600/1600. I get no artifacts, hitching, freezing, etc etc. Before that I had a eVGA 7900GT CO Superclock and again that card ran perfect with no probs. I also have a hot case too.

Redeemed
05-30-06, 02:17 PM
I just bought an SLi mobo, and was HOPING to run dual GTXs. But with all the problems I'm hearing I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't.

I wanted dual GTXs cause of the memory. This system needs to last me about a year and a half. And that 512MB per card would probably come in handy a year from now (if not sooner).

Maybe I could just get dual GTs and sell them off when G80 comes out. Then, with some of my own cash and what I got for the GTs, I could pick up dual G80s.

What do you guys think?

SilentMercury
05-30-06, 06:18 PM
I just bought an SLi mobo, and was HOPING to run dual GTXs. But with all the problems I'm hearing I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't.

I wanted dual GTXs cause of the memory. This system needs to last me about a year and a half. And that 512MB per card would probably come in handy a year from now (if not sooner).

Maybe I could just get dual GTs and sell them off when G80 comes out. Then, with some of my own cash and what I got for the GTs, I could pick up dual G80s.

What do you guys think?

I think I'm going to do the same thing. I just joined this forum to sell an AGP card to get money for a brake job and find answers to the mysterious 7900 GTX problem. I think I'm going to put a stop to this 7900 GTX fiasco by just returning my BFG 7900 GTX for a refund and getting 2 7900 GT SS's. I have had enough of this. IMO I just inherited a $550 pain in the bum by getting a 7900 GTX. I NEED CONSTANT VIDEOGAMAGE......or I shrivel up and die.

Xion X2
05-30-06, 06:27 PM
I think I'm going to do the same thing. I just joined this forum to sell an AGP card to get money for a brake job and find answers to the mysterious 7900 GTX problem. I think I'm going to put a stop to this 7900 GTX fiasco by just returning my BFG 7900 GTX for a refund and getting 2 7900 GT SS's. I have had enough of this. IMO I just inherited a $550 pain in the bum by getting a 7900 GTX. I NEED CONSTANT VIDEOGAMAGE......or I shrivel up and die.

Is your card screwing up on you or are you doing this pre-emptively?

I ask because BFG has been the most reliable company to put out the 7900GTX's so far. I've had only minor issues with mine when OC'd but never had an issue when I moved the clock back down near factory specs. It's running perfectly stable now at 700/1700.

Redeemed: If I were you, I'd still think seriously about going 7900GTX SLi. BFG Tech makes a good card that hasn't had the problems that others have, and they have a lifetime warranty on them. I can also vouch for their tech-support if you have issues; they helped me configure mine to my motherboard when I first bought it.

There is a BIG difference in the performance between 7900GT and GTX SLi setups. You can go here to read through some benchmarks:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/

SilentMercury
05-30-06, 06:44 PM
Is your card screwing up on you or are you doing this pre-emptively?

I ask because BFG has been the most reliable company to put out the 7900GTX's so far. I've had only minor issues with mine when OC'd but never had an issue when I moved the clock back down near factory specs. It's running perfectly stable now at 700/1700.

Redeemed: If I were you, I'd still think seriously about going 7900GTX SLi. BFG Tech makes a good card that hasn't had the problems that others have, and they have a lifetime warranty on them. I can also vouch for their tech-support if you have issues; they helped me configure mine to my motherboard when I first bought it.

There is a BIG difference in the performance between 7900GT and GTX SLi setups. You can go here to read through some benchmarks:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/

I have been buying BFG GPU's as far as I can remember (Geforce3 ti500) and I agree they are great, although a 6800 GT OC I had died, and now my 7900 GTX is artifacting and freezing. After researching, I don't think I'm going to get a working card if I RMA for another. I have tried everything. Mine is running 650/1600 after downclocking and still get artifacts and lock-ups following. When I first got it, I put the card in my motherboard, fired it up, updated drivers, and ran the Nvidia demos to test it out first. When I started the Nalu demo, the first 10-20 seconds ran at like 1fps, and then went liquid smooth. Also with Luna and not as bad with Mad Mod Mike. Unlike others, I noticed something was wrong upon the first time I used my card. The games ran great for a couple days and then went to crap. NFS:Most Wanted is the only game I am able to play flawlessly. I have requested a RMA form from MWave, cuz this is no good. HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THE POOR PERFORMANCE WHEN RUNNING NVIDIA DEMOS ON A 7900GTX?

Redeemed
05-30-06, 07:26 PM

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...d_performance/

That review is only for Oblivion, which I don't even own a copy of. Atleast, not yet. But I do agree, the 7900GTX is definitely faster than the 7900GT- no question there.

But what I'm getting at is all the bugs with the GTX. I'm probably not going to be purchasing these cards for another month or so. Hopefully by then the issue will be solved. If not, I don't know- I might take my chances with dual GTXs or I might just go dual GTs and oc them like crazy.

But regardless of which card I go with, it will probably be either a BFG or an eVGA. Not sure which one yet.

Xion X2
05-30-06, 09:11 PM
SilentMercury--your power supply may be what's causing your problems. 450W is awfully low to be running a 7900GTX at. Is it split 12v rails or single rail?

Redeemed--

Go here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=6

--for some further benchmarks on SLi setups w/ games other than Oblivion. There's always a noticeable difference between the two due to the increased memory bandwidth of the GTX (512 vs 256). Even though you would have two cards in a 7900GT SLi setup, you would still be running at 256MB memory. You don't add the two together; the system still runs at the same memory rating.

Don't get scared off by some of the problems w/ these lately. Many of these are due to weak power-supplies that can't handle the load or a bad batch that's come out like the eVGA's recently. Only in the last few weeks have you seen problems w/ eVGA's--before then the thing had a 5-star rating on newegg out of 100+ reviews from people.

If you truly want a system that's going to be futureproof for the next 2.5-3 years and give you ample time before having to upgrade (after Direct3D10 and Vista have all the bugs finally worked out which will be two years from now), then 7900GTX SLi is the way to go.

Richteralan
05-30-06, 09:41 PM
I WOULD suggest that you DO put hope on it. I have a eVGA 7900GT Signature Series now, have so for a couple weeks now, and it's running marvelous even overclocked to 650/1800 from the stock 600/1600. I get no artifacts, hitching, freezing, etc etc. Before that I had a eVGA 7900GT CO Superclock and again that card ran perfect with no probs. I also have a hot case too.

Nice luck in getting such a good card ;)

I've RMAed 3 times and still same problem.

Maybe I should buy lottery;) (pirate)

SilentMercury
05-31-06, 12:00 AM
SilentMercury--your power supply may be what's causing your problems. 450W is awfully low to be running a 7900GTX at. Is it split 12v rails or single rail?

Redeemed--

Go here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=6

--for some further benchmarks on SLi setups w/ games other than Oblivion. There's always a noticeable difference between the two due to the increased memory bandwidth of the GTX (512 vs 256). Even though you would have two cards in a 7900GT SLi setup, you would still be running at 256MB memory. You don't add the two together; the system still runs at the same memory rating.

Don't get scared off by some of the problems w/ these lately. Many of these are due to weak power-supplies that can't handle the load or a bad batch that's come out like the eVGA's recently. Only in the last few weeks have you seen problems w/ eVGA's--before then the thing had a 5-star rating on newegg out of 100+ reviews from people.

If you truly want a system that's going to be futureproof for the next 2.5-3 years and give you ample time before having to upgrade (after Direct3D10 and Vista have all the bugs finally worked out which will be two years from now), then 7900GTX SLi is the way to go.

My PSU is dual 12v rails.The BFGtech website says a 400w minimum power supply for a 7900GTX. In SLi, a 500w minimum. I've also read in other forums that upgrading the PSU is not the fix, and I don't have the money to be replacing different components to troubleshoot with no guarantee. I built my system to specs so I would have no problem operating a 7900GTX. What exactly made you think it is the power supply? Do you know something I don't? Do you really think I should replace it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Xion X2
05-31-06, 01:01 AM
Silent Mercury-- 450W should be the absolute minimum, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone--especially for a PSU with dual 12v rails. What is the amperage on those two 12v rails?

AMD based motherboards have had severe problems with dual-rail PSU's. System components tend to want to pull from the same rail, leaving the second 12v rail unused and your components starved for power.

Go here to read up more on the "dual-rail myth" of power supplies:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=77062.0

I have personally witnessed three recently built systems all fail because of dual-rail PSU's. One had a 7900GTX, and two a 1900XT. All PSU's were rated at 550W or higher but were all dual-rail. At one time I was getting a few artifacts on my setup but as soon as I installed a new PSU they went away and have never returned. The other two systems are running just fine after a single-rail PSU installation.

These new cards take at least 15A by themselves to run at full power, and several of your system components will try to pull off the same rail. Check the amperage on each of your 12v rails and then we'll know more. You should have at the very minimum 18A on each rail (and that's pushing it.)

Redeemed
05-31-06, 03:10 AM
Even though you would have two cards in a 7900GT SLi setup, you would still be running at 256MB memory. You don't add the two together; the system still runs at the same memory rating.

I'm already aware of this. ;)

That sounds like pretty good advice. What PSUs would you recommend I get?

I originally wanted to 7900GTXs cause they had the 512MB of ram. And I KNOW that extra 256MB per card will come in handy a year from now. But these issues that seem to be popping up every where makes me think twice. After all, I have enough $$$ to purchase dual 7900GTXs only once. I don't want to order them, have them not work, and then get screwed over on the RMA (even though Newegg would probably help me without a problem, they always have in the past). It is just, nearly $1200 for my graphics card setup is A LOT OF MONEY. And I'm not rich. I've just been saving up forever. I want to purchase these cards once and only once, and have them work from that point on till I feel they need replacing to due low performance.

So, you strongly recommend the BFGs? What about the eVGA or ASUS? Also, if you could make some PSU recommendations that would be really awesome. Thanks. :D :D

Xion X2
05-31-06, 03:35 AM
BFG's have been the most reliable since the beginning and have a lifetime warranty. I've never had a problem w/ newegg's RMA policy, either, and have had to return quite a few things. I was refunded by them on my first purchase of an XFX 7900GTX that was DOA.

It sounds to me like you're in about the same position I was in when I decided to build my setup. I wanted something that would last me until my next build, which are normally 3 years or so apart from each other. And two 7900GTX's, at this point in time, is a much better bet to last you until D3d10 and Vista are established and bug-free. Although the 7900GT is a good card and very formidable in an SLi setup, it really begins to struggle compared to the 7900GTX when handling a heavy dose of HDR and AA.

Also, Direct3D10 will still incoporate some new features on these current gen cards. Take a look at this shot of "Crysis" that is running on DirectX9 hardware:

http://h.yimg.com/download2.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz2/content/p/6/452619/931665_20060418_screen010.jpg

http://videogames.yahoo.com/thumbgallery?cid=1993460120&tab=thumbgallery&page=0&eid=-1

The above is why I'm not worried about DX10 for quite a while. Give me a two-card setup that can run that game at 60 fps and I'll be happy.

From what you tell me, it sounds like two BFG's are the way to go. Newegg has a solid return policy in place if the cards are defective, and BFG has a lifetime warranty on them (I wouldn't remove the stock cooler as it could void that.) Their tech support is also very good. It sounds to me like that hits on all your concerns.

As for PSU's, there's a list of Nvidia certified PSU's for 7900GTX SLi setup here (scroll down in the box on the right and you'll get to the PSU's):

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_build.html

The one I have is very good, but I'm only running a single card on it at the moment. I have seen one or two people who have run two 7900GTX's with it and report no problems so far. It's a Silverstone 560W single 12v rail w/ 38A (45 peak). ST56ZF is the model #.

I still think single-rail is the best and safest way to go if you own an AMD motherboard.