PDA

View Full Version : Enough Power?

SoJo
05-25-06, 08:36 AM
Hey guys im new to the forums and wanted to make a question.
My specs
Atlhon fx 55
Dfi Lan Party nf4
1 ghz Ram
BFG 7900 GTX 512

dunno if it matters but i have a case asus vento with a big fan a cd writer and a disk drive.
The question is, im powering this thing with an Antec TPII-430 power supply. Is that enough??

Thks

Xion X2
05-25-06, 11:27 AM
I'd say you're probably going to have problems, especially if you decide to start overclocking your system.

If you can spare the change, I'd recommend the model I have in my sig below. The model# is ST56ZF (make sure it's the one with the single 12v rail at 38A). Newegg has it for 137.99$

Even if you decide not to go with the Silverstone, there are some others to choose from that will fit your system nicely. OCZ Powerstream(?) 520W, PCPower&Cooling 510w, for example.

Just make sure you go with one that has a single 12v rail with high amps on it. I and many others have run into many problems with dual 12v rail power supplies.

Good luck.

SoJo
05-25-06, 07:44 PM
Thks..the problem is that i live in southamerica and theres nothing like newegg over here...im gonna check what power supplies are available and post them so u can help me.
Thks a lot dude

Rytr
05-25-06, 09:16 PM
The Antec 430W psu's that I have used furnished very acceptable power with a rating of 20A on the +12V. 20A is probably on the minimal side for a GTX. IIRC 24A is recommended. Still, if your system is running stable you are probably OK. However, I agree with Xion X2 on overclocking. If you decide you want to overclock the GTX you should be looking for a stronger psu.

john19055
05-26-06, 06:26 AM
I had a ANTEC truePower 430watt and it would not run my system right when I had a 6800 ULtra.

SLippe
05-26-06, 06:45 PM
Do the dual 12v rail psu's only have problems when there are actually two cards installed or can they have problems with just one? I ask, because my psu has two seperate PCI-E connectors, but I am only using one right now. The other is in the box.

Rytr
05-26-06, 06:59 PM
Not sure exactly what you are asking but I have 3 systems running using PCI-E compatible power supplies and none currently are using the second PCI-E connection from the power supply. Each use the dual +12v setup and I have not yet had any problems with one connected or both connected to PCI-E cards.