PDA

View Full Version : Statement From NVIDIA

Pages : [1] 2

MikeC
05-25-06, 01:07 PM
Regarding 7900GTX "random freezing" issues:

In working with our board partners, we discovered the cause of the random slowdown and temporary lockup problems experienced by various users of certain over-clocked 7900 GTX graphics boards.

Essentially, it was a case where the core and/or memory clocks were driven a bit too high above NVIDIA specifications, and the over-clocking margins weren't available on those specific boards.

Users who experience problems should contact the graphics card vendor to fix the problem.

We have learned from our board partners that the situation should now be under control.

Regarding 7900 GTX "Corruption upon exiting a 3D app (3DMark06)"

This is a new issue that has just been reported, and our software team is looking at this.

--Brian Burke, NVIDIA Corporation

jAkUp
05-25-06, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the update Mike! :)

Marvel_us
05-25-06, 01:20 PM
Nice, they're really trying to get things straightened out.

lee63
05-25-06, 01:34 PM
This is good news :D

nippyjun
05-25-06, 01:45 PM
"Regarding 7900 GTX "Corruption upon exiting a 3D app (3DMark06)"

I have a pair of 7900gtx's and with 3dmark06 it freezes my system. It freezes between tests, not during a test. It's the only program/ game/ benchmark that i have a problem. Is this part of the corruption issue mentioned above?

Banko
05-25-06, 02:10 PM
"Regarding 7900 GTX "Corruption upon exiting a 3D app (3DMark06)"

I have a pair of 7900gtx's and with 3dmark06 it freezes my system. It freezes between tests, not during a test. It's the only program/ game/ benchmark that i have a problem. Is this part of the corruption issue mentioned above?
No I don't think it is, you don't get any artificating do you? Also with your problem it could be a numerous amount of things have you tried it with one 7900 or maybe another system or something?

whiskeychaser
05-25-06, 02:36 PM
It seems that Nvidia does not want to admit that there are any problems with STOCK settings. I have returned 4 7900 gtx's that all artifacted after a few days with Nvidia stock specifications. Before they broke, they all exhibited that annoying random freezing too. I love the cards when they work, but it seems that Nvidia is trying to distance themselves from liability by only admitting to faults with overclocked cards. THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN, IMO. 2 weeks and counting until my deadline for getting cash back from newegg expires unless I hear some word from Nvidia concerning faulty STOCK cards.

OWA
05-25-06, 03:24 PM
It seems that Nvidia does not want to admit that there are any problems with STOCK settings. I have returned 4 7900 gtx's that all artifacted after a few days with Nvidia stock specifications. Before they broke, they all exhibited that annoying random freezing too. I love the cards when they work, but it seems that Nvidia is trying to distance themselves from liability by only admitting to faults with overclocked cards. THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN, IMO. 2 weeks and counting until my deadline for getting cash back from newegg expires unless I hear some word from Nvidia concerning faulty STOCK cards.
I don't agree. I think their statement is pretty accurate.

The one I returned was fine at stock settings. I had one of the superclocked versions and kept it for a week or so before returning it. I could run 3DMark06 Deep Freeze all night long at stock settings and didn't have any issues in any games I tested at reference speeds.

nippyjun
05-25-06, 03:27 PM
No I don't think it is, you don't get any artificating do you? Also with your problem it could be a numerous amount of things have you tried it with one 7900 or maybe another system or something?

I don't get any artifacting. It's just when 3dmark06 runs it freezes between the tests, usually towards the end, but not always in the same spot.

GuOD
05-25-06, 05:14 PM
I don't get any artifacting. It's just when 3dmark06 runs it freezes between the tests, usually towards the end, but not always in the same spot.

I had a card that would get artifacts in deep freeze and then go black on/off after 3dmark06 finished and freeze my comp.

When I ran it in SLI, it would freeze my comp BETWEEN tests.. so I'm guessing your card is possibly defective. My other card runs through 3dmark06 hitch free.

lee63
05-25-06, 08:53 PM
Way to step up to the bat eVGA! you ROCK :D http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029472994&postcount=79 (nana2) (nana2)

knghtwhosaysni
05-25-06, 09:03 PM
I can confirm that even at stock 450/660, my 7900gt screws up in 3dmark06 anf FEAR. Glad I went with eVGA though :) Their recent actions have shown just how freaking great the company's tech support/RMA process is :)

bkswaney
05-25-06, 09:03 PM
Way to step up to the bat eVGA! you ROCK :D http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029472994&postcount=79 (nana2) (nana2)

Once these problems are ironed out it will be great news for those
who like buying refurb cards. There will be tons to be had.
I've had great luck with them myself. ;)

Glad to see Evga stepping up to bat so quickly.
I love my Evga 6800U.
My next card will also be Evga. :)

john19055
05-26-06, 05:24 AM
Well EVGA had'nt step up and help me ,I am haveing problems and I wanted the BIOS for the 7900GTX EGS so I could flash both cards with the same ,and I know they have one that they have emailed certain people but I have emailes and got one email saying they did'nt have a BIOS and I called them and the first guy I talked to said they had a BIOS but he could'nt give it out and then I talked to the other person that said he could'nt give it out and I would have to talk to Mario ,but I have email and it has been three days and still no answer ,It might not help nothing ,but looks to me it is worth giveing it a shot,I know when I had problems with my two 7800GT CO's after I flashed both of them with the same BIOS ,it fixed all the problems I was haveing.When you spend a Grand on a pair of video cards you would like for them to work right.

lee63
05-26-06, 07:33 AM
god please dont make my 7900gt have problems.... :( it will arrive next week...

what do you suggest guys i test first? 3dmark2006? fear?I would test FEAR, thats where I had most of my problems. Good luck :)

OWA
05-26-06, 12:58 PM
The deep freeze test in 3DMark06 is also a good one to test. If you have the purchased version you can just loop that continually.

jAkUp
05-26-06, 01:28 PM
Deep freeze, fear and oblivion.

Redeemed
05-26-06, 03:16 PM
Wow. I hope they get these issues sorted by the time I order my GTXs. I pray both of them work upon arrival.

SLippe
05-26-06, 05:34 PM
god please dont make my 7900gt have problems.... :( it will arrive next week...

what do you suggest guys i test first? 3dmark2006? fear?
I think they are referring only to the GTXs. Your GT should be fine.

mon
05-28-06, 05:00 PM
looks like to me they rushed out the 7900gtx with out full testing to beat the ati

its a modified 7800gtx and highley clocked

ElMoIsEviL
05-30-06, 11:49 AM
I don't agree. I think their statement is pretty accurate.

The one I returned was fine at stock settings. I had one of the superclocked versions and kept it for a week or so before returning it. I could run 3DMark06 Deep Freeze all night long at stock settings and didn't have any issues in any games I tested at reference speeds.

It also affects non oc'd cards.. looks like it's potentially something wrong with the cores or the voltage regulator(s) then anything else.

How do we know this... look at the fixed eVGA cards... they have different Voltage regulator components and added components. It looks like nVIDIA reference design was buggered. They seem to be to blame. Probably in an effort to compete with ATi on price rather then on features/performance they scaled back too much and now the users are the guinea pigs.

I'm a tad pissed off (mainly towards XFX) but all has been well so far with Asus.

Wait and see.

OWA
05-30-06, 12:25 PM
It also affects non oc'd cards.. looks like it's potentially something wrong with the cores or the voltage regulator(s) then anything else.

How do we know this... look at the fixed eVGA cards... they have different Voltage regulator components and added components. It looks like nVIDIA reference design was buggered. They seem to be to blame. Probably in an effort to compete with ATi on price rather then on features/performance they scaled back too much and now the users are the guinea pigs.

I'm a tad pissed off (mainly towards XFX) but all has been well so far with Asus.

Wait and see.
I don't agree but feel free to believe otherwise. All I can do is post on what I saw. I just know that the superclocked version I had (got it when it was first released) ran great at stock speeds through all the tests people are using now to check for problems (Oblivion, FEAR, 3DM06 Deep Freeze, etc.). If there was more of a problem than the overclock, I would have expected to have issues at reference speeds.

Buio
06-04-06, 04:05 AM
SoOki on the forum on Sweclockers (Swedish site) had problems with his 7900GT that he found out to be the northbridge cooler placed righty below the PCI-Express slot and blowing hot air up on the card making some components placed at the bottom of the card very hot.

There are some pics at the first page even if you dont understand Swedish.
http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=590873
He solved it by adding a fan inside the case, and a few heatsinks on the card.

According to him it fixed the freezes he experienced with his new 7900GT.

rflair
06-04-06, 07:26 AM
SoOki on the forum on Sweclockers (Swedish site) had problems with his 7900GT that he found out to be the northbridge cooler placed righty below the PCI-Express slot and blowing hot air up on the card making some components placed at the bottom of the card very hot.

There are some pics at the first page even if you dont understand Swedish.
http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=590873
He solved it by adding a fan inside the case, and a few heatsinks on the card.

According to him it fixed the freezes he experienced with his new 7900GT.

The northbridge has nothing to do with the amount of heat the 7900GT puts out.

The 7900GT I have now runs great, first one crapped out.

Nvidia's statement is like thier washing thier hands of this entire mess, maybe they should take greater control over thier board partners.

One good thing is it seems the amount of people complaining of bummed cards has dropped significantly.

Lfctony
06-04-06, 07:59 AM
The northbridge has nothing to do with the amount of heat the 7900GT puts out.

You're not paying attention. He said the heat from his NB was causing some parts of his 7900GT to overheat apparently. He fixed it by certain actions. He didn't say that's the problem with the cards... That was the problem in his case...