PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA related products account for 51% of my new PCs budget!

Pages : [1] 2

Uttar
02-03-03, 12:41 PM
Hey,

Just something that really surprised me...
I've finally decided what I'll buy for my next PC ( 2600+, nForce 2, Gainward GFFX Ultra, ... ) and... wow.
nVidia takes 51% of my budget for that new PC!
The total is of 1643. The nForce 2 costs 192 and the GFFX costs 649 ( could be slightly different, that's just the current expected price )

Anyway, 1643/(192+649)*100 = 51%! Damn, and then people are saying Jen Hsun Huang's opinion on moving toward that doesn't make sense :rolleyes:

And if anyone asks me to justify my buy of the GFFX: It's because of the for-developer toys in it.

Anyway, was just wondering how much nVidia stuff you think is going into your next PC?

Uttar

-=DVS=-
02-03-03, 01:01 PM
To my new pc 150$ max for Nforce 2 when Barton comes out :D

digitalwanderer
02-03-03, 02:23 PM
....hmmm, I don't think me chipset is out yet for my next PC. I'm a cheap arsed-bastard who puts off upgrading as long as humanly possible.

I'm gonna pick up either a 9500/9700 Pro in a month or two for Bubbles and I think that'll hold me over until DoomIII comes out. ;)

Darth Rancid
02-03-03, 02:56 PM
There is no nVidia hardware at all in any of my last 3 PCs... for a short while a Creative Labs Gf3Ti200 was to replave the Voodoo5 in my current box, but my mainboard is flawed and does not work with any AGP card that takes power over the AGP port, so I'm stuck with the Voodoo5.
I could get a R300 now, but it seems pointless with my old P3 933...
Since I hate fans there will be no nVida things in my planned new system in November unless they do something sensible to that cooler of theirs...

I really hope that S3G gets it right with Deltachrome, and doesn't put a fan on it... thats one of the things I liked with S3 all along... no fans.

My V5 is passively cooled.

jnd3
02-03-03, 03:44 PM
In my upcoming (budget) upgrade, Nvidia products will account for 49% of the total cost (Asus A7N8X Deluxe + Asus V9280TD Ti4200/128MB/8x). That is, of course, assuming prices don't come down between now and Friday. I figure it should about triple my overall performance, all for around $600. As long as I can play Splinter Cell at a reasonable resolution/frame rate, I'll be quite happy!

Cheers,
JND

OICAspork
02-03-03, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
Hey,

And if anyone asks me to justify my buy of the GFFX: It's because of the for-developer toys in it.

Anyway, was just wondering how much nVidia stuff you think is going into your next PC?

Uttar

Is that the Ultra or standard model? ^^ I can understand the standard model for-developer toys and just to toy with developing, but I don't think I could put up with the noise of the Ultra, unless that PR statement from Gainsward pans out.

SavagePaladin
02-03-03, 04:30 PM
I'm hoping for my next PC to be nForce powered with a Clawhammer and whatever gfx card they have out that I can afford (!)

Outside of that, I can't say all that much.

Kev1
02-03-03, 04:44 PM
So big part of my computer is Nvidia. I have owned Nvidia video cards since the TNT (TNT, GF2 GTS, GF3 Ti200) and while the GFFX release is a bit screwed up, I will most likely get a newer Nvidia video card sometime this year :)

Sometimes I consider going ATI, but I think Nvidia will have some better cards out later this year that have DX9 support, are fast, quiet, and are less expensive (Good price/performance ratio).

Until then I'm very happy with my GF3 :D

SavagePaladin
02-03-03, 04:51 PM
On the plus side, at least people seem happy with ATI now. Maybe I can consider em later.

Jovi
02-03-03, 05:20 PM
I hope to upgrade within the next two months. I plan on an nForce2 board, Barton, and probably an Ati r350. Never had an Ati card before but I think I may skip on the FX.

MrNasty
02-03-03, 11:00 PM
EDIT by volt: I suggest you calm down son and stop acting like you ate all the brains. Check your Private Message Box.

Euphoria
02-03-03, 11:08 PM
Well I'll wait for the NV40 or the R400, couze I dont like the current GFX performance, it seems too buggy for $400.00. .... Damn, I wouldn't pay even $300.00 for it.

jAkUp
02-03-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Uttar ? WTF just get a GF4 or Radeon 9700... DO you really need a GFFX which has worse image quality that the 9700 ?

No offence but your parents have more money than sense!

who says his parents pay for stuff??? i bought my entire system with my own savings... working at popeyes 2 days a week...lol still have plently of money for a great video card.

borntosoul
02-03-03, 11:30 PM
im going from amd 1333 mhz to 3500+ amd or intel dont matter .gf 2mx to nv35 (maybe)or ati . when i upgrade i like to see a big difference :) i wouldve got a fx if it was what i expected ,ill just wait for the refresh version

OICAspork
02-03-03, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Uttar ? WTF just get a GF4 or Radeon 9700... DO you really need a GFFX which has worse image quality that the 9700 ?

No offence but your parents have more money than sense!

Go reread his post. He explained why he bought it. For the developer toys that came with it... and I'm sure, because he wants to 'toy with developing' on it as well. Chill man and pay closer attention to what you are replying to before raving.

^^; And I'm pretty sure Uttar is an adult. That is based on the maturity of his posts and his developer interests though, so I could be wrong.

Uttar
02-04-03, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by OICAspork
Is that the Ultra or standard model? ^^ I can understand the standard model for-developer toys and just to toy with developing, but I don't think I could put up with the noise of the Ultra, unless that PR statement from Gainsward pans out.

Ultra. Yeah, the noise seems horrible, that's why I'm interested in the Gainward. Otherwise I might have to take the Regular.
Problem is, you really don't save much money by buying a Regular. It's around 100 cheaper. Better than nothing, I guess...

Uttar

MrNasty
02-04-03, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by OICAspork
Go reread his post. He explained why he bought it. For the developer toys that came with it... and I'm sure, because he wants to 'toy with developing' on it as well. Chill man and pay closer attention to what you are replying to before raving.

^^; And I'm pretty sure Uttar is an adult. That is based on the maturity of his posts and his developer interests though, so I could be wrong.

Acording to his Birthday he is 15, No 15 year old need to spend twice as much on a marginally better GFX card unless they were a spoilt brat.

Theres better deals out there uttar.

DSC
02-04-03, 10:37 AM
Uttar,

Why would you buy a FX, when it has the hardware fog bug according to the reply by MuFu here?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=7080&pagenumber=3

:eek: :rolleyes:

Nvidia should never have release this, man I can't believe this, really shoddy work, Nvidia. :mad:

kyleb
02-04-03, 10:37 AM
i am not one for calling names but i would have to agree on this one, it is highly unlikly someone would work hard for the cash to throw down on that card. what "cool developers stuff" are you refering to anyway?

Kruno
02-04-03, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by kyleb
i am not one for calling names but i would have to agree on this one, it is highly unlikly someone would work hard for the cash to throw down on that card. what "cool developers stuff" are you refering to anyway?

The video cards programmability, using CG of course, unless Uttar is a fan of assembly. ;) :)

StealthHawk
02-04-03, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by DSC
Uttar,

Why would you buy a FX, when it has the hardware fog bug according to the reply by MuFu here?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=7080&pagenumber=3

:eek: :rolleyes:

Nvidia should never have release this, man I can't believe this, really shoddy work, Nvidia. :mad:

someone else said that on their gf3 or gf4 there was no fog in some some shots too....without taking the time to go look at that link does that mean all of nvidia's cards are bugged?

Filburt
02-04-03, 04:31 PM
The Gainward "7dB" thing sounds like a marketing stunt. I think the best you could hope for is 7dB quieter. You pretty much cannot passive cool the GFFX. Even with a monstrously large heatsink, you'd still need a fan to move air away from it because the heat produced will be astronomical.

As for developer goodies...I've heard the R350 will have developer goodies as well? Seems like at the rate nVidia's going, we'll have the R350 out at around the same time.

SavagePaladin
02-04-03, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
someone else said that on their gf3 or gf4 there was no fog in some some shots too....without taking the time to go look at that link does that mean all of nvidia's cards are bugged?
NV has had like driver bugs in the past...just on a side note.

R9700PRO
02-04-03, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
Hey,

Just something that really surprised me...
I've finally decided what I'll buy for my next PC ( 2600+, nForce 2, Gainward GFFX Ultra, ... ) and... wow.
nVidia takes 51% of my budget for that new PC!
The total is of 1643. The nForce 2 costs 192 and the GFFX costs 649 ( could be slightly different, that's just the current expected price )

Anyway, 1643/(192+649)*100 = 51%! Damn, and then people are saying Jen Hsun Huang's opinion on moving toward that doesn't make sense :rolleyes:

Uttar I see you like to burn money, I guess you a rich, just take off those blinders and you might one day see the light, NV30 is a piece of junk, get over it, R300 is a 6 month old chip on .15 tech and it still competes with that garbage NVIDIA has come out with.

SavagePaladin
02-04-03, 06:38 PM
mmm
fanatics :rolleyes: