PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 Dashboard update features

LiquidX
05-25-06, 07:48 PM
-Boot to dash option even with a disk in the drive.
-Download manager with ability to navigate the dashboard or play a game.
-Better organized marketplace.

Pretty much what everyone has been asking for and more.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151874.html

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18350&stc=1&d=1148604077
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18351&stc=1&d=1148604077
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18352&stc=1&d=1148604086

Edge
05-25-06, 09:30 PM
Some pretty cool features, they removed probably the biggest annoyance people had with the console (the inability to do anything while downloading). Now they not only fixed that, but made it added more to it by being able to queue up downloads (uhh...why do we have a feature on a game console before it's even in Internet Explorer?). I also like the fact that it automatically pauses your download when you go online with a game.

PeterJensen
05-25-06, 11:58 PM
When will it be out?

PeterJensen
05-26-06, 12:00 AM
Though the update sounds like it will take up a large chunk of space, it doesn't require a single byte on the hard drive. It actually doesn't need a hard drive at all. The update is flashed to the 360's internal hardware and won't be stored on the hard drive, making it compatible with either SKU of the Xbox 360. It will initially be available online and may be available on disc further down the road.

Thats nice. And the news says about a week from now :)

PeterJensen
05-26-06, 12:17 AM
There is a rumor going arround that you will be able to stream some "video channels". Also a rumor is thaht when the camera releases there will be a codec update alowing you to play the most common videos from the net (divx/xvid ect.).

toxikneedle
05-26-06, 12:31 AM
There is a rumor going arround that you will be able to stream some "video channels". Also a rumor is thaht when the camera releases there will be a codec update alowing you to play the most common videos from the net (divx/xvid ect.).
Crap, I just formated to Media Center XP last week. :(

Mr. Hunt
05-26-06, 02:36 AM
Sounds nice... when is it? ;)

PeterJensen
05-26-06, 02:54 AM
Sounds nice... when is it? ;)

In about a week MS said. Also the update of codecs is to counter that the PS3 maybe will play divx.

msxyz
05-26-06, 04:37 AM
Maybe by the end of the year Xbox will get a browser too...

PeterJensen
05-26-06, 10:57 AM
Maybe by the end of the year Xbox will get a browser too...

If the ps3 got one the X360 will get one :)

msxyz
05-26-06, 11:20 AM
Yep, that was what I was thinking...

Altought I don't think many people will buy a USB keyboard to hook up to their console just for some browsing.

PeterJensen
05-26-06, 05:44 PM
Yep, that was what I was thinking...

Altought I don't think many people will buy a USB keyboard to hook up to their console just for some browsing.

uhmmm i have allot of USB keyboard in the house :) You do know you can allready hook a USB keyboard to the x360 and type with it?

Badboy_12345
05-27-06, 06:49 AM
uhmmm i have allot of USB keyboard in the house :) You do know you can allready hook a USB keyboard to the x360 and type with it?

I got to know that when I read about the new update some keyboard feature and I thoiught wtf could u use an usb keboard on the x360 :eek:

they really need to let the people know what the xbox can do...
I have had an x360 since launch and JUST got to know that an usb keyboard is usable :thumbdwn:

msxyz
05-27-06, 07:33 AM
Sadly you cannot use it for FPSes with a mouse.

I knew about the keyboard features but unless it can be used in games it's pretty useless.

Badboy_12345
05-28-06, 01:37 PM

I knew about the keyboard features but unless it can be used in games it's pretty useless.

typing messages?
I type ALOT of messeges to the friends on my list who are playing the same singel player gamer or doing something else..
I would have typed more If I knew a keyboard was supported.
Its really a great feature.. but yeeah if u dont have friends then its pretty useless :p

toxikneedle
05-28-06, 01:42 PM

I bet it's for a browser that MS is gonna release, plus I can see things like MSN messenger being intergrated as well.

LiquidX
05-28-06, 11:20 PM
Video narrative of the updated features for those interested.
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/3954

Badboy_12345
05-29-06, 12:58 AM
I bet it's for a browser that MS is gonna release, plus I can see things like MSN messenger being intergrated as well.

messenger is intergrated through MCE ;)

Ninjaman09
05-30-06, 01:20 PM
Is there any way to play .M4A files from my PC? It plays my MP3s just fine but most of my music is AAC encoded. :\

Gaco
05-30-06, 02:25 PM
messenger is intergrated through MCE ;)

How?

Badboy_12345
05-30-06, 03:19 PM
How?

if u have Windows XP MCE and connect the x360 by selecting MCE in the menu then u can select Messenger on the x360 and chat away its really neat ;)

sry if I suck at explaining how to get there but it is there I have tried it myself and it works wonderfully :D

Gaco
05-30-06, 03:43 PM
Oh man I gotta get the Media Center Edition.. ****..

GamerGuyX
05-30-06, 06:20 PM
I got to know that when I read about the new update some keyboard feature and I thoiught wtf could u use an usb keboard on the x360 :eek:

they really need to let the people know what the xbox can do...
I have had an x360 since launch and JUST got to know that an usb keyboard is usable :thumbdwn:

Actually that's been a pretty well known fact for awhile now. It's not about Microsoft not letting you know about some of 360's features but about you not paying attention.