PDA

View Full Version : Problems with AA on a 7900GT with leaked and official drivers.

Flying_Elbow
05-25-06, 08:47 PM
I've had my new rig together for a couple of weeks, and it runs everything beautifully, but I've noticed some problems when I have AA enabled and I have WoW minimized, and I try to play movies with any media player. Basically, the movies either stop playing in the first few seconds, and the sounds continues, or there is no video at all, but there is sound. I've tried both the official drivers from nVidia's web site and some leaked drivers that I got from a link posted on this board. I'm using an Abit KN8 Ultra, and an XFX 7900GT, and I am currently using the platform drivers and video drivers from nVidia's website on a brand new install of XP Pro. If I have AA turned off, everything works fine with WoW minimized. Anyone else had similar problems?

squall_leonhart
05-25-06, 08:57 PM
easy fix

DON'T MINIMISE WOW AND WATCH VIDEOS.

this isn't a bug, its what happens across all drivers across all video cards.

the reason is is because you already have a DX api window open, with AA which is a back>frontbuffer feature, which locks the api.

its just like having Java Runtime loaded and trying to load a video, the same thing occurs due to java locking the API.

Disable the program you are using 'use hardware acceleration' or similar setting and it should work.

Flying_Elbow
05-25-06, 09:11 PM
Ok, you just prompted me to try something I've been thinking about trying for a while and haven't gotten around to it. I have another computer here with a 9800 Pro, and latest Catalysts, and with AA enabled, I do not have any problems with WoW minimized, so I don't think you are correct. It seems that the recent versions of nVidia drivers have problems with AA.

squall_leonhart
05-25-06, 09:42 PM
no, its the way nvidia renders AA and decodes video that is the problem.

i can't use AA in a DX game, and run a video at the same time either.

SLippe
05-25-06, 10:00 PM
Okay, I've gotta ask...

Why in the wide-world-of-sports would you minimize a game to watch a movie/video?

If it works other wise, then leave it alone.

Some people absolutely amaze me with their crazy questions on here. Not meaning to flame you, I just don't get it.

Flying_Elbow
05-25-06, 10:49 PM
You people make me laugh. You either don't play WoW, or aren't in a large guild or don't use a ventrilo server with lots of people in it or maybe another reason, but something is keeping you from fathoming an occurence that is very common. There is always someone that has a vid link in their ventrilo comment, or you want to use FRAPS to capture your PVP videos, and you want to watch them to see if they came out OK(that's another thing.. capping with FRAPS with AA enabled, even if it's 2x AA, causes a massive frame rate hit. turn AA off, and it's all good). There are always situations when you want to Alt-Tab to look at something. It's ridiculous to have to leave the game to watch a video if you have AA enabled, because if you're waiting in a RAID group, leaving the game can cause problems. To be honest, it's been a big turn off towards nVidia's products(my first nVidia card in several years), especially for someone like me, who has many reasons to alt-tab and watch a video.

squall_leonhart
05-26-06, 02:16 AM
the Fraps thing is also NORMAL

You are not only running AA (a Gpu intensive method of filtering jagged edges)
You are also using the CPU to encode a video clip to the hard drive.

even with AA disabled there is a small performance hit. its just larger as becoz the cpu takes on more work, its can't feed the gpu data fast enough for it to remain smooth.

btw. only an idiot alt-tabs out of any game as your likely to encounter opcode and memory errors as a result of OS data becoming mixed in with Game data, forcing a game back into the pagefile can also cause corruption...

Flying_Elbow
05-26-06, 09:50 AM
the Fraps thing is also NORMAL

You are not only running AA (a Gpu intensive method of filtering jagged edges)
You are also using the CPU to encode a video clip to the hard drive.

even with AA disabled there is a small performance hit. its just larger as becoz the cpu takes on more work, its can't feed the gpu data fast enough for it to remain smooth.

btw. only an idiot alt-tabs out of any game as your likely to encounter opcode and memory errors as a result of OS data becoming mixed in with Game data, forcing a game back into the pagefile can also cause corruption...

I can no longer take your posts seriously. I'm convinced that you are deluding yourself into thinking that you're smart.

Superfly
05-26-06, 10:24 AM
I can no longer take your posts seriously. I'm convinced that you are deluding yourself into thinking that you're smart.

nice attitude. :thumbdwn:

squall_leonhart
05-26-06, 10:52 AM

no, i just know the flaws in the windows memory and pagefile management.

Flying_Elbow
05-26-06, 11:38 AM
You know, squall, I wouldn't be so quick to think that you don't know what you're talking about if I didn't have years of experience using other video hardware that is completely contrary to almost everything you've posted in this thread. I can't remember a time when I had a problem Alt-Tabbing out of a game. I'm not saying that there aren't games out there that have a problem with it, I just haven't had a problem with it in years. About the only thing I agree with you on is that using AA while FRAPSing may cause the performance hit I'm seeing on all hardware. No biggie, I can FRAPS without AA, which just so happens to be acceptably smooth on my current hardware, but as far as playing the game for enjoyment, I'd rather have AA on.

squall_leonhart
05-26-06, 12:07 PM
what program are you using to play videos on

simply turn of hardware acceleration or overlay mode and it should work.

i've had yrs of experience. working with windows in general when it comes to games. like.. 10. and i've found that opengl games are the worst culprit for alt tabbing from.

Flying_Elbow
05-26-06, 05:11 PM
It's usually either Windows Media Player 10 or QuickTime player, mostly WMP though. I only use QT for movie trailers and such. I disabled the hardware acceleration in WMP, but the problem remained. It doesn't seem to matter what type of file is being played, be it mpg or wmv or avi, I have sound, but no video. Disabling AA or exiting WoW instead of minimizing fixes the problem.

SLippe
05-26-06, 05:21 PM
How much memory do you have in your system?

squall_leonhart
05-26-06, 05:55 PM
...hmm...

well its exactly the same issue i had with java.

come to think of it... disabling the overlay didn't work for me either...

OOh :P

funky coincidence for you :P

the problem i had with java, was due to the java applet being Anti Aliased. i created a profile that removes aa from java applets and now i can watch videos again when java is loaded, so it does seem to be Nv's method of handling AA.. its not the driver, its just the way it works i guess :(

Flying_Elbow
05-26-06, 08:22 PM
How much memory do you have in your system?

2GB

K007
05-26-06, 11:38 PM
Not sure if i can recall this problem. I was doing my Rank 14 grind on my server, and the bg queues are 20-30 mins i usually watch a movie or watch a tv episode during the time, and i had no problem with having WoW Window mode/BSplayer...

But i did use 1280x960 res no AA, but i have had AA before in the past and never came across this problem..

Only problem i had was if i had a video in bsplayer (paused) and i quit WoW first out of fullscreen, my pc would hang after it quits and loads my desktop with my video in it...