PDA

View Full Version : AGPGART vs. NVGART and IOMMU in Linux 2.6.x

m0ppi
05-26-06, 08:05 AM
Hello,

i have a mainboard with ULi 1695 chipset and a geforce 6600gt. The box has running fedora core 5 on it. I install the nvidia kernel module and they uses kernels built in agpgart. When i run quake or doom it is very slow - unplayable a slideshow.

i try to disable the kernels agp with the kernel commandline paramter agp=off and check agp is off. when the system loads the nvidia.ko the told me in dmesg that GART_IOMMU is enabled and NVGART cant be use. Thus i append simply like explained in kernel docu that i can IOMMU disable like iommu=off. i try it reboot and feed the X server in xorg.conf that he please use the nvidia agp. But all what i try not work.

my considerations are about: bios settings correct?, IOMMU really disabled? (the code offers that the option not take precedence), nvidia not support my agp chipset?

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Venturi
05-26-06, 08:50 AM
Tried a comparitive
disaable Iommu and it seems to be off

Using Suse 10 64-bit
However I don't have the exact same chipset and different card config.

on the N4 proff chipset Iommu seems dissabled aftrer the bios setting is selected.

Check sig for machine spec

m0ppi
05-26-06, 09:27 AM
disaable Iommu and it seems to be off
via kernel parameter? what are you do to check that iommu is of?

on the N4 proff chipset Iommu seems dissabled aftrer the bios setting is selected. Check sig for machine spec
Can you explain a bit more please? bios? which option?