Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
05-26-06, 01:19 PM
The unbelievable has been accomplished

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1471041#post1471041

|MaguS|
05-26-06, 01:39 PM
Holy Crap!

Wonder how common hitting 3.2+ will be with the chip... if its a common thing then im sold already.

CaptNKILL
05-26-06, 01:46 PM
Holy mother of god... :eek:

Suddenly, blowing another huge chunk of cash on RAM, CPU and mobo doesnt sound so bad :p

Marvel_us
05-26-06, 01:48 PM
That's crazy! What kind of cooling was he using?

Sazar
05-26-06, 02:42 PM
Fwiw, these things do oc nicely and they are not that hot :D

Intel has done a GREAT job with lowering TDP. AMD has followed suit apparently but expect there to be as big a gap in overall TDP between intel and amd over the course of the next year or two as was the case with amd v/s intel the previous couple of years.

:smoking:

Son Goku
05-26-06, 04:32 PM
Holy ****, that is one hell of a good OC :thumbsup:

rudedog
05-26-06, 04:48 PM
What I don't understand, if all these chips overclock so well, then why is Intel downgrading them to a slower clock speed?

Still I hope the retail versions clock like this as I need another rig LOL...

lightman
05-26-06, 05:18 PM
What I don't understand, if all these chips overclock so well, then why is Intel downgrading them to a slower clock speed?

A couple of reasons (well, one possible reason, and one speculation) :

1) Lower clocks == higher yields == lower costs == higher margins

2) They know that those clocks are high enough to compete with (and beat) current AMD offerings, AM2 included. They know that AMD could have something almost ready in the next (maybe not so few) months. Therefore, they leave some good margins in order to be able to put out some E6900 or E7000 version clocked much higher than E6700, let's say 3.4 or 3.6 GHz, and trump anything AMD could be offering at a future time.

If the architecture is as good as it seems, Intel is poised for a huge comeback as king of the hill, and AMD will have to work (very) hard to play catch up.

jAkUp
05-26-06, 05:24 PM
Yea, definetely for yields, with high yields they can lower the price big time and really stick it to AMD.

sabersix1
05-26-06, 05:24 PM
I would think that once they get better BIN Speeds on the FAB they will increase to higher Multipliers on the EE with 1333MHz FSB. You will notice on the pricing chart that the Conroe E6400 thru E6700 are all at 1066MHz FSB.

lightman
05-26-06, 05:26 PM
I would think that once they get better BIN Speeds on the FAB they will increase to higher Multipliers on the EE with 1333MHz FSB.

Probably. 1333MHz has been cited quite a number of time with regard to the EE, and I think to Woodcrest, too.. Hmm...

jAkUp
05-26-06, 05:54 PM
According to the Intel Roadmap, the X6800 is only 1066FSB...

hemmy
05-26-06, 05:56 PM
A japanese user at XS has a E6800 at 4750 ish super pi stable

Riptide
05-26-06, 06:14 PM
How the hell do these people get a hold of these things early like that? Not fair! :p

ViN86
05-26-06, 06:45 PM
How the hell do these people get a hold of these things early like that? Not fair! :p
they get a hold of them because they OC the crap out of them with phase changers and post the screenies. then everyone sees em like we do and they get hyped about the chip. if you or i had the same OC'ing skills and a big name, wed get the chips too hehe

thats how they get em ;)

thats an amazing oc :drooling:

Riptide
05-26-06, 06:52 PM
Eh? You lost me there. They have to get a hold of them before they overclock them. So who is it that gives the CPUs to them (or sells them?) in the first place? Not all of these people have their own sites do they?

nrdstrm
05-26-06, 07:43 PM
Eh? You lost me there. They have to get a hold of them before they overclock them. So who is it that gives the CPUs to them (or sells them?) in the first place? Not all of these people have their own sites do they?

I think he is saying that they are known overclockers that OC to the extreme and have such things as phase change readily available to OC with. They are also well known OCers, so people like Intel/AMD send them chips to "pump up marketing" (seems more legit coming from an end user rather than Intel/AMD themselves...)

sillyeagle
05-26-06, 11:01 PM
I think he is saying that they are known overclockers that OC to the extreme and have such things as phase change readily available to OC with. They are also well known OCers, so people like Intel/AMD send them chips to "pump up marketing" (seems more legit coming from an end user rather than Intel/AMD themselves...)

Other than the phase chase equipment, is there any kind of specialized experitse that allows them to pull off OCs that others are not capable of?

jAkUp
05-27-06, 01:30 AM
The only other thing is obviously alot of knowledge of multipliesr, motherboards, memory dividers, etc. And also alot of patience :)

ViN86
05-27-06, 10:21 AM
basically they give em to ppl who have a name for themselves (like jAk does on this forum) and is known in his community as someone who knows their stuff with hardware. then they give em the CPU's and they OC em or just brag about em, and they spread the word about how great the CPU is.

so
a reputation + bragging/advertising the CPU = getting a free CPU before theyre released ;)

thats exactly what i meant nrdstrm :thumbsup:

rudedog
05-27-06, 10:24 AM
Makes you wonder if these chips are "special".

I'm waiting on reviews from sites who buy them over the counter.

If the results are the same, it's upgrade time baby

Tuork
05-27-06, 12:04 PM
I'm still waiting to hear official prices.... anyone care to enlighten me?

Let's say a mainstream Conroe+SLi board+1GB of memory (DDR2, I would suppose).
So far I've seen a lot of reviews and whatnot, which shows conroe to be a really promising chip (this coming from and AMD-FTW!-person), but no prices. :(

jAkUp
05-27-06, 12:08 PM
Prices :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70740

bkswaney
05-28-06, 09:34 PM
I don't know about u guys but I'm ready to stop reading about and buy a Conroe. ;)

Tuork
05-28-06, 11:48 PM
Prices :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70740

pardon my great big ignorance, but what's the difference between the E6XXX and the 940'ish and other ones they mention??

I'm really new to this new Conroe business, and it looks like the way to go so far :D