PDA

View Full Version : nVidia and SGI 1600SW flat panel

l_parker
05-26-06, 08:52 PM
SGI makes a flat panel monitor called the 1600 SW. It uses a DVI interface, but the format is LVDS. Does anyone know if any of nVidia's current graphics cards support this?

nVidia made the original graphics cards for the SGI x86 based workstations and supported LVDS up to at least 2002, but I need a 6xxx series or preferably a 7xxx series card that supports it.

I belive the Quadro line does, but they are a little to pricey for the project I have in mind.

Lee Parker
chief cook, bottle washer and sometime sysadmin
cacaphony.net

nutball
05-27-06, 03:06 AM
SGI makes a flat panel monitor called the 1600 SW. It uses a DVI interface, but the format is LVDS. Does anyone know if any of nVidia's current graphics cards support this?

No they don't. The 1600SW shipped with a seperate box of tricks (MLA, Multi-Link Adaptor) which could convert from DVI-D to LVDS (and VGA to LVDS too).

You might be able to find one of these on e-Bay, last I heard they were quite expensive (because they were EoL'd years ago and for some reason people still want to run their 1600SWs).

There is (or was) a company which makes a board which fits into a PCI slot which does the same thing. But it's not cheap ($255). Here it is (http://www.sharpertechnology.com/1600adapter.html).

I used 1600SWs for years, and they were great monitors for their time, but these days the same or better quality can be had for a lot less money (we upgraded to Dell 21"ers and they're far superior IMO). Unless there's a particular reason you want to use the 1600SW (eg. retro-chic) you'd be better off putting that money towards a new flat-panel.