PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Naughty Dog's PS3 Project

Pages : [1] 2

Nv40
05-26-06, 10:13 PM
THere is a new interview with Naughty Dog developers..

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/710/710266p1.html

THe graphics are very detailed...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18388&stc=1&d=1148699606

What is even more impressive is the game in action ,is so rich the variety of animations and physics and their quality that makes the game to feel very real like a movie. .People call it the next generation pitfall game..Sounds good. .:)

toxikneedle
05-26-06, 10:50 PM
Did the guy trip over the table or something? I don't see any shots fired.

msxyz
05-27-06, 01:52 AM
That screenshot reminds me of the Source engine. Don't know, maybe it's the lighting a bit flat or the the texture art direction....

Nv40
05-27-06, 03:10 AM
That screenshot reminds me of the Source engine. Don't know, maybe it's the lighting a bit flat or the the texture art direction....

You mean Hl2 ?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18395&stc=1&d=1148717075

Dude they arent remotely close , As good as HDR look still the Source engine is not at the level of this game or many others next gen games from Ps3 or Xbox360. Selfshadows or perpixel lighting ,neither realtime reflections is used.

Edge
05-27-06, 04:29 AM
Looks pretty weak to me, texture quality looks especially low. Aside from the self shadowing and resolution, it looks like an Xbox game.

|MaguS|
05-27-06, 06:36 AM
Watch the game in action and then eat your words... the game looks far better in motion then in the screenshots.

Nv40
05-27-06, 10:12 AM
Looks pretty weak to me, texture quality looks especially low. Aside from the self shadowing and resolution, it looks like an Xbox game.

like Halo ? lol!
never have seen a xbox game that looks that good can u show me one ? :)

slick
05-27-06, 10:35 AM
While it doesn't look bad, it is nothing fantastic, by any standard.

Edge
05-27-06, 10:55 AM
like Halo ? lol!
Pretty much if Halo 2 was running at high resolution, yes:

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen111.jpg

The Xbox version of Chaos Theory at high resolution would be a be a closer match though:

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/013/reviews/921914_20050114_screen003.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

But anyway, enough about how it compares to last gen games. In motion, it does look a bit better, although indoor areas still seem pretty bland from what I've seen. Outdoors are fairly good, with some very nice background details (particularly the plants) and a good shadowing system. But the characters all seem to have this dull, pasted-on look, as if they're only half-affected by the surrounding light (especially noticable in screenshots).

They really do need to ramp up texture resolution, the models themselves are quite good, but the textures just look monotone. Some bumpmapping that was up to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory standards would probably have a remarkable impact on the game's overall look. A small upgrade to that and a lighting system that flowed better between indoors and outdoors could probably help the game tremendously. Oh, and some anisotropic wouldn't hurt, either.

Toss3
05-27-06, 12:08 PM
Here's the link for the high-res video @ ign.com: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/vid_1523386.html

Now do you honestly think this looks like a freaking xbox game? You should get your eyesight checked man!

Edge
05-27-06, 12:23 PM
Here's the link for the high-res video @ ign.com: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/812/812550/vid_1523386.html

Now do you honestly think this looks like a freaking xbox game? You should get your eyesight checked man!

Did you even read the second reply I made in this thread?

Zelda_fan
05-27-06, 06:08 PM
graphics are ok. Nothing groundbreaking

Nv40
05-27-06, 07:17 PM

i second that.. its insane to try to compares HAlo1 with one of the best looking games (above the average) of what we have seen in the Xbox360 and PS3 games. :|

I can find low resolution textures in crisys and in Gears of wars and that doesnt mean they are comparable with a Xbox1 game.

Edge
05-27-06, 07:27 PM
i second that.. its insane to try to compares HAlo1 with one of the few games that looks Far better than the average Xbox360 and PS3 games. :|
That was Halo 2. And you're the one that posted a screenshot that was comparable to it and said the graphics are "very detailed".

I can find low resolution textures in crisys and in gears of wars
I'm sure you can, since you found them in this game so easily.

Nv40
05-27-06, 07:51 PM
That was Halo 2. And you're the one that posted a screenshot that was comparable to it and said the graphics are "very detailed".

I'm sure you can, since you found them in this game so easily.

Ok.. i admit.. have never played Halo2.
is this HAlo2 ?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18413&stc=1&d=1148777419

now for comparison here is the way skulls look in Naughty dog.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18414&stc=1&d=1148788549

Perhaps its only me , but at times this game looks even better than gears of wars. but graphics is not what this game focus but animation and physics which make the game to feel alive. and very cinematic. :)

slick
05-27-06, 08:02 PM
Ok.. i admit.. have never played Halo2.
Is this HAlo2?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18413&stc=1&d=1148777419

now for comparison here is the way skulls look in Naughty dog.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18414&stc=1&d=1148788549

Lol, not saying Halo 2 looks better because it doesn't, but holy **** if you are gonna make a comparison at least make it fair.

You went and found the ****tiest picture of Halo 2 you could and then pulled up an HD one of Naught Dog. GG.

Ninja Prime
05-27-06, 08:06 PM
The models and terrain are nice and high-poly but the texturing and lighting is pretty crappy, I'd agree with the equal to HL2 comment.

Nv40
05-27-06, 08:16 PM
Lol, not saying Halo 2 looks better because it doesn't, but holy **** if you are gonna make a comparison at least make it fair.

You went and found the ****tiest picture of Halo 2 you could and then pulled up an HD one of Naught Dog. GG.

well , i do my best.. :)
The point is that any game "can look good" with cheap tricks ,like extreme dark places ,very empty places (like boxing games), tight corridors with just 2 -3 players , or a very slow paced game , where the developers can focus 100% of the machine power in few things at the same time. but once you play the game in a more illuminated and bigger enviroment with more players and vegetation they need to scale down ALOT the polys and the textures to make the game possible in realtime. ;)

Bad_Boy
05-27-06, 09:48 PM
you guys gotta be kidding me if your saying it looks anything like a xbox 1 game It looks borderline cg in some respects to the remastered HD trailer. anttention to detail is great, animation is top notch, physics look damn nice with the boxes/truck scene...and i really cant wait to see more of this. Amazing a game like this looks so good so early in a consoles lifecycle, wish I could say the same about genji 2 as i really enjoyed the first one. Knowing its naughty dog, i cant wait.

this is not a xbox vs ps3 rant, im really really anticipating this title regardless of the platform.

Zelda_fan
05-27-06, 09:51 PM
well , i do my best.. :)

no you don't.

you're one of the biggest blatent fanboies on this fourm. I'm tempted to make a poll to prove it. Anyone who says the Doom3 engine sucks after seeing footage from quake wars is a F-A-N-B-O-Y.

(cue typical nv40 fanboy remark):

"NO TEH QWAK WARS INJUN IS A UPDATEDD VERSION!!!!"

This same game could come out for the xbox, and you'd be telling us how much the graphics suck.

Nv40
05-28-06, 12:25 AM
no you don't.

you're one of the biggest blatent fanboies on this fourm. I'm tempted to make a poll to prove it. Anyone who says the Doom3 engine sucks after seeing footage from quake wars is a F-A-N-B-O-Y.

(cue typical nv40 fanboy remark):

"NO TEH QWAK WARS INJUN IS A UPDATEDD VERSION!!!!"

This same game could come out for the xbox, and you'd be telling us how much the graphics suck.

i dont know whats your problem dude.. We where having a interesting conversation with comparisons until your childish non sense that doesnt have anything to contribute to this thread.. What was told in the "engines that sucks" still stand. Go start your own tread with whatever poll you want. but stop acting like a 10 years old retard.

Zelda_fan
05-28-06, 12:27 AM
i dont know whats your problem dude.. We where having a interesting conversation with comparisons until your childish non sense that doesnt have anything to contribute to this thread.. What was told in the "engines that sucks" still stand. Go start your own tread with whatever poll you want. but stop acting like a 10 years old retard.

this is not an interesting discussion. This is you pimping the PS3 like anna nicole smith.

slick
05-28-06, 12:28 AM

Nv40, you don't have conversations, you have PS3 circle jerks.

Zelda_fan
05-28-06, 12:59 AM
NV40, let me see if I can put this into terms you can understand.

This forum has a lot of fanboys. I am one of them. I am a bigtime nintendo fanboy. Magus, bad_boy, and Mr Hunt and bigtime Sony fanboys. You are on a totally different level.

NV40 I'd like you to answer a series of questions:

When was the last time you said something negative about the PS3? When was the last time you said something positive about the XBOX360? When was the last time you said something negative about the Unreal engine? When was the last time you said something positive about the Doom3 enigne?

The answer: never. In fact the closest thing anti-sony that I've ever heard you say was something along the lines of "nintendo may possibly gain a market share due to clever marketing and hype of their controller at e3."

Yes, I'm a nintendo fanboy, but at least I admit that Nintendo isn't perfect. Did I say the "wii" was a stupid name? Yes. Did I say nintendo ****ed up with Mario Sunshine? Yes.

Do I say things positive about the PS3? Yes. I admitted that MGS4 looked great if that was realtime footage. THAT is the difference between my fanboism and your fanboism. I have a bias, whereas you don't even consider other opinions.

Nv40
05-28-06, 01:36 AM
NV40, let me see if I can put this into terms you can understand.

This forum has a lot of fanboys. I am one of them. I am a bigtime nintendo fanboy. Magus, bad_boy, and Mr Hunt and bigtime Sony fanboys. You are on a totally different level.

NV40 I'd like you to answer a series of questions:

When was the last time you said something negative about the PS3? When was the last time you said something positive about the XBOX360? When was the last time you said something negative about the Unreal engine? When was the last time you said something positive about the Doom3 enigne?

The answer: never. In fact the closest thing anti-sony that I've ever heard you say was something along the lines of "nintendo may possibly gain a market share due to clever marketing and hype of their controller at e3."

Yes, I'm a nintendo fanboy, but at least I admit that Nintendo isn't perfect. Did I say the "wii" was a stupid name? Yes. Did I say nintendo ****ed up with Mario Sunshine? Yes.

Do I say things positive about the PS3? Yes. I admitted that MGS4 looked great if that was realtime footage. THAT is the difference between my fanboism and your fanboism. I have a bias, whereas you don't even consider other opinions.

I dont have time to re-peat all the things positive or negative or neutral that have said of each console or games. i dont like all Ps3 games ,many looks even worse than the worse xbox360 games..but i do know others like those games and i respect that. , and some xbox360 games looks quite nice.. again another opinion. But since you ask , im a fan of graphics and technology fan. nothing more ,nothing else. period.

its not that i like more Sony just because their name ,if that was true i will be having a PS1 and a PS2 and a PSP... but -i have none of those consoles - because i find superior PC games. even though 2 o 3 of the latest PS2 games are tempting .

nor an Nvidia "fan".. or an EPIC "fan" or Crytek , otherwise i will be having all of their products or games .its not that their names sound cooler. its that those companies push more ,and take bigger risk when others do less (for being lazy or for economic reasons) . The day the competition ,say a new gpu company ,a new console or new Developer push the extra mile ,even if that means a painfull experience for them ,i will be "their fan" but not earlier. because in the end.. all is all about higher graphics for better games.

Contrary to brand loyalty like you are ,im just a fan of technology and graphics.. period. and if in this generation that means to be a "SONY fan" so be it .because their games and tecnology behind indeed looks better to me.BlueRAy >HD-DVD , Cell > XEnon .. price ? who cares things will be cheapier years later. So whenever you think im biased of some company or some developer is not because of the company ,but because i believe in their work ,what they are doing is more future looking .