PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT->Zalman VF900

finortis
05-27-06, 12:15 AM
Before I make my post, it just dawned on me that this is probably the first time I have posted in, say, 4 years. Kinda odd, given how much I used to post, as well as the fact I used to write articles.

At any rate, I wanted to throw something out there. I put together a pretty killer rig recently, and decided to do the SLI thing. I grabbed 2xXFX 7900 GT's because, quite honestly, those were the only cards available via NewEgg. I really would have preferred BFG's, but...

Anyhow, as soon as I plugged these suckers into my new rig, I could not believe how freakin' loud it was. No joke, it was like standing in front of a turbine engine, relatively speaking. I was pretty much committed to fixing this problem, but was a little shaky as to which solution. I say this because there were a number of variables at play: is there enough room for an SLI rig? Will it really make that much of a difference, volume wise? Will there be any performance benefit? (in truth, I didn't really care about this too much). Will it fit comfortable with everything else? (almost impossible for me, since I'm now using a Lian Li V2000 server box).

To make a long story short, I found this store out in the middle of nowhere at the last possible moment tonight, and they had 2x Zalman VF900's in stock. I bought them, installed, and cannot tell you what a massive difference they make. The HSF's that XFX use had to be the most ridiculous pieces of crap I have ever used...and believe me, I have used my share of video cards.

I'm posting this info because I found a lot of questions about this subject, but not a lot of content...with respect to the newer wave of cards. At one point, I wasn't even totally sure if the 7900's were even supported because Zalman was a little fuzzy on this with their previous VF700 series.

Bottom line: it definitely works, and these things make a huge difference in terms of noise. If you have been thinking about grabbing a Zalman VF900, I highly recommend them.

Rytr
05-27-06, 12:52 AM
There are several here that would agree: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69329

john19055
05-27-06, 02:10 AM
I recomend the Zalman VF 900-Cu too they look good and they work great .

Wmc90
05-27-06, 07:32 AM
Seconded over here..

Dropped temps on my GTX, thats pretty amazing concidering the bohemoth that was on the card before :D