PDA

View Full Version : frequent computer shut offs...

gamefreak
05-27-06, 01:41 AM
Hi guys... I have had a problem with my new comp for a few months now...The problem is when I play any game..NFS:Most wanted,FEAR,Ghost recon advanced warfighter,Hitman:blood money...or any game, my PC jus shuts down after about 10 mins. into the game..I have earlier suspected this to be a problem of bad air flow in the my cabinet so I changed my cabinet to SERVER cabinet..I have enough power supply (I guess!) and I have even put a new coat of thermal compund on my processor's heat sink...after doin all this, my computer still shuts off after few minutes into any game!

I m so tired of thinkin of solutions to this problem...Can anyone give me any suggestions regarding...I m now beginning to think that it's because of my video card...that is, probably it's not getting enough power or something...

The numlock key light on my keyboard stays ON even after my computer abruptly shuts off! And after my computer shuts off if I power it back on immediately it takes a long time for the boot screen even to show up!

I haven't even overclocked anything..I m running all my devices at the stock speed..

My specs are :

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/15/06 17:32:12 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual core CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 274MB used, 3668MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video card: PNY GeForce7800 GT
Power Supply: 600W

jAkUp
05-27-06, 02:32 AM
What kinda temps are you getting on your CPU?

AthlonXP1800
05-27-06, 02:58 AM
I believed it your CPU fan are dying. I had the same problem last year on my old Athlon XP 1800+ system, one time when played a game and then suddenly my PC shutdown itself. Then I restarted PC and it shutdown 5 mins after I log in XP, I was puzzled what went wrong and thought it was either GPU and CPU temp but GPU temp found to be normal, I went to the BIOS to checked the CPU temp, watched the temp went from 75C to hit 85C threshold and the PC shutdown. I realised my PC shutdown to prevented CPU from overheated and fried, then I opened the PC case and restarted PC to watched the CPU fan, it spinned very slow and lose balance both side. After ordered a new CPU fan heatsink and had it installed, everything went normal. :D

Maverickman
05-27-06, 09:43 AM
This definitely sounds like a CPU problem. Either your CPU is overheating or is somehow defective. Try getting a new fan for it and see what happens. You can also get some programs like SANDRA to monitor your CPU temp.

OWA
05-27-06, 11:55 AM
I've had that happen when I had the fan rpm checks turned on and the bios didn't properly read my fan speeds. Although, in that case it would shut down almost as soon as it booted into windows.

ViN86
05-27-06, 12:02 PM
a few possibilites:

temps are too high
PSU doesnt have enough voltage
windows/RAM errors - windows will just turn off the computer to prevent permanent damage to the OS

bugmage
05-27-06, 03:04 PM
-im not sure what case you have but ive seen 3 aspire cases power buttons go bad where, the computer would just shutoff if the desk were bumbped, aka game playing, i just switched it to the reset button but still could be falty switch, have you tryed just letting yourself get fragged up hehe, other than that, temp problem, maybe bad overclocking?

try running prime 95 and running temp monitering software

SH64
05-27-06, 06:32 PM
Did you try changing the PSU ?
.. also make sure the power cable isnt moving.
sometimes with the increase of the temp the power cable might move & thus cause a shutdown.

Sticky Mick
05-28-06, 12:13 AM
Have a look on your PSU and see how many Amps it is putting out on the +12v rail.

I thought my 450w would be enough to power my rig:

ASUS A8V Deluxe AMD 64/3000
1GB RAM (Dual channel)
Nvidia 6600GT/128
5 IDE drives = 2xOptical on secondary IDE channel, Boot drive + ZIP 100 on Primary and second Hard drive on RAID channel as IDE.
2xcase fans, CPU fan and graphics card fan.

Although the wattage of my PSU is more than enough, I need more than the 18A that the +12v rail is putting out. I know peeps that are running SLI on only 300w PSUs but because they're putting out enough Amps on the 12v they're getting away with it.

gamefreak
05-28-06, 01:35 AM
thanks a lot people for ur replies :) ...sorry for the delay in replying guys... :)

well here's wat I did...I was goin thru my PNY instruction manual and in it he says that I shud give the video card a power supply DIRECTLY from the SMPS and it shudn't branch to any other device in the comp...and this is jus for normal performance...and he says that I shud give it two power dongles DIRECTLY from the SMPS which is the RECOMMENDED power configuration for my video card..But the problem is I don't have another free power dongle from my SMPS..So I have to work around with wat I have for now... :(

Now comes the beauty...the problem of frequent shut offs somehow has reduced..it had shut off only once so far when I played hitman blood money..But the point is it CRASHED once..And I m still testing it... :)

Any more suggestions guys?? oh and did I mention dat I also changed the heat sink COMPOUND on the heat sink?? Thanks again guys :)

AthlonXP1800
05-28-06, 01:50 AM
Hmmm it will be better if you can list all devices connected to your PSU then we will make a suggestion which one to free up for your videocard and connect it with Y power cable supplied with the videocard. :)

I think maybe one of them are a case fan, you really dont need it.

wollyka
05-28-06, 01:38 PM
i had this problem 3 months ago when i upgraded to Geforce7800GTX and A64 X2, changing mu 500W PSU (with a 680W that have more amps on the 12V rail)solve it!

Dazz
05-28-06, 04:19 PM
If you are ussing the retail fan on the dual core and it's in a cabinet this is a big no no as them P4 Dual core CPU's get very HOT very FAST. I would recommand a better Heat sink fan, like a Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

mon
05-28-06, 06:08 PM
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=340995

get this i have the amd version .. very good heatsinkfan

site

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&disc=

grey_1
05-28-06, 07:04 PM
Does your motherboard have any extra psu plugins aside from the atx and extra 12v rail? If so make sure thats seated properly. Also disconnect any and everything you can and still be able to boot into windows and fire up a game, even go with one stick of ram. Turn your game of choice video settings down, make it less demanding, and try that. I forgot not long ago an optical drive was shorted, but wouldn't show it til everything was under load.

I think the guys are right on about the psu...Good luck with it!

gamefreak
05-28-06, 10:36 PM
hey guys...I have disconnected my optical drives for now..this is wat I have inside my cabinet..two motherboard optional fans, a heatsink, and a CPU fan...is this fan config enough?? oops..I can see a couple of angry eyes there.. I gt u guys..I m goin to buy a better heatsink soon and I m goin to load my cabinet with more cabinet fans...

I played hitman again with no problems till now..well that's an improvement for now..I m goin to try playing the other games and see if anything happens :)

thanks for ur help again guys..

MadKent
05-28-06, 11:48 PM
Although the wattage of my PSU is more than enough, I need more than the 18A that the +12v rail is putting out. I know peeps that are running SLI on only 300w PSUs but because they're putting out enough Amps on the 12v they're getting away with it.

Lol, wattage specs are so worthless I pay no attention to them, I just go straight to 12V rail amperage rating. You can obtain the real average wattage by simply multiplying amperage value by 12 (amperes*volts=watts) and it rarely matches the manufacturer's claims. A true 300W PSU will have around 25A on the 12V rail which is more than enough for most rigs including SLI. The reason video card manufacturers require high wattage values is because they need to compensate for certain PSU manufacturers' grossly inflated specs.

gamefreak
05-29-06, 12:16 AM
hmmm I see ur point dude...I m gonna start hunting for some niiiice PSU for my rig! :)

Redeemed
05-29-06, 02:20 AM
hmmm I see ur point dude...I m gonna start hunting for some niiiice PSU for my rig!

While you are at it, really check that CPU fan. Look at some other heatsink and fans that you could get. It wouldn't hurt anything.

gamefreak
05-29-06, 05:18 AM
hey guys..I asked around everywhere for a nice heatsink for my dual core processor and these bums here in India don't have em yet!!! So, I have to order one from US or I'll have to ask my bro to get it when he comes here!!

Tough luck huh guys?? Anyway now dat I have to wait for the heatsink I m lookin for a better PSU..something which has more amperage and more power dongles that I cud use directly for all my devices or directly atleast for my video card and branched one's for the other devices... :)

thanks again guys for ur suggestions..if u have any other solution or suggestion please do let me know...I m game for any suggestion at this point ;)

john19055
05-29-06, 06:35 AM
Just get you one that has high amps on the 12v rail and the newer power supplies should come with a six pin hook up so you don'nt need to mess with that spliter to go to your card.

XDanger
05-30-06, 02:39 PM
I just ordered a Hiper 580W Type-R Black PSU (good and CHEAP not the modular version thats for show offs) coz of constant interuptions from smartdoctor saying my vram wasnt being supplied with adequate juice from my 500w generic psu. After changing my driver from the hot set to 91.28 the problem has stopped .I think theres more than just a 5 degree increase problem with those last drivers.Is that possible ?? That the drivers are affecting the voltage or something .If the cards 5c higher that must be somehow down to the voltage???

mon
05-30-06, 04:23 PM
I just ordered a Hiper 580W Type-R Black PSU (good and CHEAP not the modular version thats for show offs) coz of constant interuptions from smartdoctor saying my vram wasnt being supplied with adequate juice from my 500w generic psu. After changing my driver from the hot set to 91.28 the problem has stopped .I think theres more than just a 5 degree increase problem with those last drivers.Is that possible ?? That the drivers are affecting the voltage or something .If the cards 5c higher that must be somehow down to the voltage???

wot drivers did you change down to?