PDA

View Full Version : Does AA work with HDR in HL2:Lost Coast (and Eps 1)?

wazooda
05-27-06, 02:28 PM
I've searched and read and see many conflicting responses.

Is there an ultimate conclusion on whether HDR wroks with AA in Source?

I can't see ANY difference when playing with AA.... but maybe I am not tweaking correctly.

Any help GREATLY appreciated in advance of Episode 1.

Thanks!

Wazoo

OWA
05-27-06, 02:29 PM
Yes, definitely with Lost Coast. Not sure about Episode 1 since it's not out yet.

wazooda
05-27-06, 02:30 PM
Yes, definitely with Lost Coast. Not sure about Episode 1 since it's not out yet.

Man! Then I am doing something screwy.

I tried in-game settings and also overriding.... but the jaggies remain....

Maybe I'll remove nHancer and see if that makes a difference....

Oh... a followup....

Is the Lost Coast profile the same for HL2?? The shortcut seems to run Steam.exe and the HL2 exec is HL2.

OWA
05-27-06, 02:50 PM
I'd try making your changes to the HL2 profile. I had that issue with Counter-Strike. My AA settings didn't seem to take. Then I discovered if I changed the AA level in the HL2 profile, it took effect in CS: Source.

Tym
05-27-06, 03:08 PM
Is the Lost Coast profile the same for HL2?? The shortcut seems to run Steam.exe and the HL2 exec is HL2.

As far as I remember, you need to link the profile to steam.exe. Just to be on the safe side, put both files (steam.exe and hl2.exe) in the nHancer profile for HL2 and set the profile to override default AA settings with those you've selected.

sniggle
05-27-06, 03:41 PM
There are no actual games that run with a process name of "steam.exe". That's just the process for the launcher. Make all changes to the Half-Life 2 profile to see them take effect in CS: Source, DoD: Source, HL2, Lost Coast, or any game with an actual EXE name of hl2.exe. You can also check by going into your Steam\SteamApps\<your email>\<whichever game>\ and see what exe is in there.

And yes, Valve's implementation if HDR allows it to work along with AA with all cards that support both features. If only other game companies did something similar, but unfortunately it's probably not a "correct" implementation or perhaps not as efficient.

Quijonsith
05-31-06, 12:11 AM
Last I checked no nVidia card can actually do both AA and HDR at the same time in any game. You might be able to set both in some games, but the card can't do it. Only ATI has cards that can do both.

fivefeet8
05-31-06, 12:38 AM
Last I checked no nVidia card can actually do both AA and HDR at the same time in any game. You might be able to set both in some games, but the card can't do it. Only ATI has cards that can do both.

Last I checked, Nv4x and G70 cards can do HDR+AA in AOE3. It's supersampling, but it's still AA. Also, HDR+AA in HL2 Lost Coast works on any video card.

It depends on what type of HDR the game uses. ATi cards can do HDR+AA in FP16 filtered HDR. Nvidia card's can't.

jAkUp
05-31-06, 12:45 AM
EP1 will have HDR + AA as well.

MEI
06-01-06, 01:15 AM
With 91.28, AA don't work in my Source games :'( ...

Xion X2
06-01-06, 02:30 AM
Half-Life 2's HDR is incorporated in the software; that's why Nvidia cards can run it without a problem.

The 91.28 Forceware drivers clean up jaggies so well that AA is hardly needed anymore while you're running HDR and 1280 res, so no big loss in other games now, either (namely Oblivion.)

Wmc90
06-01-06, 02:39 AM
Half-Life 2's HDR is incorporated in the software; that's why Nvidia cards can run it without a problem.

Its not that its incorporated in the "software"
Its that it is programmed as a shader and not going through the FP16 buffer.

In the end, what you get is the same effect of HDR+AA minus the stupid performance hit and AA on every SM3 card

saweetnesstrev
06-01-06, 04:45 AM
Can't Wait To Play Episode 1 TODAY! soon :D