PDA

View Full Version : Memory stick faulty.

Capt. Picard
05-27-06, 03:17 PM
I bought a mem stick the other day and have been using it without any problems for the last couple of days. But then yesterday while I were copying something it just stopped. When I clicked on the drive, all my files were gone. When I went to properties the pie graph showed that my files were still there but inside the drive I see nothing. What went wrong?

AthlonXP1800
05-27-06, 03:39 PM
Oh dear that may be sound like fake memory stick. Did you bought it on ebay? They issued warning on fake memory stick scams here (http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Beware-of-FAKE-1GB-2GB-4GB-8GB-USB-Flash-Drives-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000000953346?ssPageName=BUYGD:C AT:-1:LISTINGS:1). I think 2 of my friends are victim of this scam, they bought 1GB and 2GB Sony memory sticks at incredible very cheap prices imported from Hong Kong.

Capt. Picard
05-28-06, 03:39 AM
No, I bought it locally. It's a Legend 512MB.

einstein_314
05-28-06, 12:45 PM
I hate defective memory...I just built a rig for my dad's company, and the stupid memory was defective. Won't even POST. Luckily I had some other stuff laying around that I could use to install Windows while I RMA the bad stuff. Errrr. Stupid Samsung Cheapo Ram. Oh well.

But your problem is interesting indeed. That's definately a weird one. Have you had any more problems since that? Maybe your hard drive is going?

Capt. Picard
05-28-06, 01:17 PM
I think I created some confusion by using wrong term. It's not a memory stick, but my flash drive (Legend 512MB) that gave me the above mentioned problem. Sorry my mistake. :o

einstein_314
05-28-06, 09:53 PM
Lol, that makes more sense :rofl But I still don't know what would cause that...hmmm. Have you had the problem since?

Rytr
05-28-06, 10:02 PM
I have several flash drives laying around. Very handy and dependable but I did have one go out shortly after I bought it...just quit working. RMA'ed it and the second one has given no problems for the last 6-8 months. It's used almost daily so you do get some bad ones that get past QA...