PDA

View Full Version : Low 3DMark scores with Athlon X2 system

Maverickman
05-27-06, 07:46 PM
I just tried 3DMark 2006 in my Athlon X2 system and scored 3859 at default speeds. I have a BFG so it is overclocked by default, but I was still expecting more out of this system. I also get 7030 in '05 and 14877 in '03. These aren't pitiful scores by any means, but I still think they're rather low for the system. I've downloaded the latest Athlon X2 drivers from AMD, so I don't think it's a driver issue. I do have Windows XP Media Center in this computer, so that may be the problem. I should have loaded XP instead.

At least all my games seem to run great. :)

a12ctic
05-27-06, 07:47 PM
3dmark doesnt matter, all that matters is that your happy with your acual games performance

Maverickman
05-27-06, 08:26 PM
I'm happy with the performance of my games. It's just that many (including myself) get caught up in the benchmark craze. We think that if our scores seem low compared to others' system, something must be wrong.

PeterJensen
05-28-06, 02:13 AM
x2 cpus are FUBAR.

Dazz
05-28-06, 12:12 PM
I would like to see how your CPU handles playing Battlefield 2 while video encoding and burning a disc fairs

PeterJensen
05-28-06, 02:39 PM
I would like to see how your CPU handles playing Battlefield 2 while video encoding and burning a disc fairs

Well as of yesterday i returned my X2 3800+ and got me a AMD 4000+ Sandiego and it ownz. :p

therapture
05-28-06, 03:01 PM
x2 cpus are FUBAR.

And you are an idiot.

PeterJensen
05-28-06, 03:15 PM
And you are an idiot.

Please take a look at the AMD forums and see how manny there are having performance problems with them. You are the idiot.

a12ctic
05-28-06, 03:25 PM
all that matters is that your happy :)

JaxMacFL
05-28-06, 03:26 PM
No problems here. Runs rock solid. Gets 9572 in 3dmark06. Very satisfied.

therapture
05-28-06, 03:27 PM
Please take a look at the AMD forums and see how manny there are having performance problems with them. You are the idiot.

The only performance "problems" are user related. There is an AMD driver and a Microsoft patch that cures any issues with some software/games that don't react to dual cores properly. It's a timing issue with the work load being split between more than one core. Had you actually TRIED to solve your "problem" you would have found out how easy it is to "fix" and I'll put my dual core at 2.6ghz up against your single core any day....ever used a real multi-threaded app? Guess not, but I do, and the dual core will slap the **** out of the single core any day of the week.

Nope, I just checked, and you are still the idiot.

PeterJensen
05-28-06, 03:41 PM
The only performance "problems" are user related. There is an AMD driver and a Microsoft patch that cures any issues with some software/games that don't react to dual cores properly. It's a timing issue with the work load being split between more than one core. Had you actually TRIED to solve your "problem" you would have found out how easy it is to "fix" and I'll put my dual core at 2.6ghz up against your single core any day....ever used a real multi-threaded app? Guess not, but I do, and the dual core will slap the **** out of the single core any day of the week.

Those patches dont work for like 20% of the users.

therapture
05-28-06, 03:47 PM
Those patches dont work for like 20% of the users.

I bet 90% of those 20% still have a configuration error. Just stop throwing a blanket statement over a product because you have an issue with it. Maybe I am sensitive, but your original post was so....n00bish and...ignorant sounding.....

Dazz
05-28-06, 04:15 PM
Well as of yesterday i returned my X2 3800+ and got me a AMD 4000+ Sandiego and it ownz. :p
In older games yes, but over all no now games are starting to take advanatge of Dual cores Oblivion and Quake 4, Call Of Duty 2 where the preformance can be quite impressive. But if you have alot of programs running in the background it makes games run so much better. I gonr from a A64 3500+ winnie @ 2700MHz to a X2 4400+ @ 2700MHz and it is alot better.

Neophyte
05-28-06, 04:48 PM
I bet 90% of those 20% still have a configuration error. Just stop throwing a blanket statement over a product because you have an issue with it. Maybe I am sensitive, but your original post was so....n00bish and...ignorant sounding.....

Dude your awesome! You owned the **** out of him. Ahhh yes the allmighty dualcore works fine in this system too. Ahhhh back to my music...(nana2)

Nope, I just checked, and you are still the idiot. ahahahha can't stop laughing... totally owned...

anyway's i had a 3200 64 and went to 4800x2 yes i know it's a big leap, but it OWNS.

snowmanwithahat
05-29-06, 12:56 AM

i haven't tried it, but i seriously doubt that dual cores will ever be slower than a single core of an equivalent speed, it just doesn't make sense, even worse case, it'd be the same speed.... i think you're right, all the problems should be able to be fixed by updates to the game/OS/driver

Redeemed
05-29-06, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I mean, how can a dual core processor be slower than a single core that is running at the same clock speed and has the same everything else (just not dual core)? Doesn't make sense. Any slowdown would have to be due to a software issue, not hardware.

Any ways, what you should have done is instead of sending that chip back you should have shipped it to me. I'd be more than willing to pay this shipping fees. :D ;)

Unless you do a lot of mult-tasking, or deal with a lot of multi-threaded apps, a dual core processor isn't necessary. A single 3500 would be fast enough. Heck, my s754 3700 screams. There isn't much I can do to really get the system to come to a crawl, unless I do a lot of heavy multitasking. Even then it does pretty well.

PeterJensen
05-29-06, 02:16 AM
Yeah, I mean, how can a dual core processor be slower than a single core that is running at the same clock speed and has the same everything else (just not dual core)? Doesn't make sense. Any slowdown would have to be due to a software issue, not hardware.

Any ways, what you should have done is instead of sending that chip back you should have shipped it to me. I'd be more than willing to pay this shipping fees. :D ;)

Unless you do a lot of mult-tasking, or deal with a lot of multi-threaded apps, a dual core processor isn't necessary. A single 3500 would be fast enough. Heck, my s754 3700 screams. There isn't much I can do to really get the system to come to a crawl, unless I do a lot of heavy multitasking. Even then it does pretty well.

Well guys i tried everything for like 3 days. But no matter what i only got 150 fps in 3dmark03 wings of fury where is should get about 300 fps. The funny thing is if i run SuperPI at the same time as 3dmark03 i got about 300 fps.... So maybe its a dud cpu? Thats what im thinking. (ohh and i tried all the patches drivers and so on).
What i did now is orderd a Gigabyte motherboard and a new cpu. I still got the x2 3800 so i will test it on the new motherboard.

Maverickman
05-29-06, 10:44 AM
I didn't mean this to become a dual core vs. single core thread. Multi-core CPUs are definitely the wave of the future. Like it or not, single core is on the way out. Still, with today's apps my X2 4200+ would probably be on the level with an Athlon 64 3200+ in most of today's games. That CPU runs at 2.2GHz with 512MB L2 cache, just like both cores of the X2 4200+.

ViN86
05-29-06, 11:49 AM
yea, cause i see threads every day :bleh:

my OC'd X2 runs like a hot knife through butter.

PeterJensen
05-29-06, 11:57 AM
yea, cause i see threads every day :bleh:

my OC'd X2 runs like a hot knife through butter.

Hehe well i spent 2 days sniffin the entire web for help and fixes :) There is allot with problems.