PDA

View Full Version : HELP 7900 GT video problems

Ocky88
05-28-06, 09:28 AM
hello guys, I got two EVGA 7900 GTs in sli mode, on the 84.21 drivers.

Problem is when i play world of warcrack, only on the loading screen between zones, i get all these lines going through my monitor, sometiems if covers the whole monitor other times it dont. But it is there. All i have to do is windows key out then come back in the game and problem fix. My 7800s that i had in there did not have this problem and i just switched em out about 3 days ago. Any help would be sorely appreciated.

system is
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, 2 gig ddr in duel, xfi platinum, xp pro service pack 2, 300 gig WD hard drive, Dell 2405pw, amd x2 4600

Eren
05-28-06, 08:09 PM
Try different drivers, i had a similar thing on my machine where intros became a bit blurry, changed drivers = solved problem for me.

Ocky88
05-29-06, 04:48 AM
Try different drivers, i had a similar thing on my machine where intros became a bit blurry, changed drivers = solved problem for me.

Should i go beta drivers or go down a version?

john19055
05-29-06, 10:59 PM
Try some of the betas I had good luck with the 84.56 drivers when my system did work right.

Quijonsith
05-30-06, 11:09 PM
Try the latest drivers from eVGA's site.

Stevedroid
05-31-06, 09:05 PM
I have this same exact problem with Oblivion. Whenever an area loads I get streaks going across the screen. Alt-tab to and from the game and they're gone. I'm using the beta 91.28 drivers, I guess I'll try the older ones.

Ocky88
06-01-06, 10:05 AM
tried different drivers and the problem stille exists. Put my old 7800s back in and no problem.

Stevedroid
06-01-06, 10:36 AM
I did some searching and this does appear to be some kind of driver issue. There are threads on nVidia's forum about this here (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=12659) and here. (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=12884&st=0&p=79528&#entry79528)

Looks like it's affecting everyone using a pair a factory overclocked 7900GTs in SLI. Also appears to be limited to games that use AFR mode SLI.

Fixes are:
1) Go back to 83.91 drivers.

2) Turn on AA (though that doesn't help if you're using a game where you can't run AA of course).

3) Underclock or overclock cards' memory by 5MHz - Have no idea why that works, but for some reason it does.

Redeemed
06-01-06, 01:11 PM
I did some searching and this does appear to be some kind of driver issue. There are threads on nVidia's forum about this here and here.

Looks like it's affecting everyone using a pair a factory overclocked 7900GTs in SLI. Also appears to be limited to games that use AFR mode SLI.

Fixes are:
1) Go back to 83.91 drivers.

2) Turn on AA (though that doesn't help if you're using a game where you can't run AA of course).

3) Underclock or overclock cards' memory by 5MHz - Have no idea why that works, but for some reason it does

That wouldn't apply to the GTXs as well, would it?

doddsy
06-01-06, 01:28 PM
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

saw this and thought of you lot.

Stevedroid
06-01-06, 06:19 PM
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

saw this and thought of you lot.
This is not an overheating problem!!! It's merely a driver issue. Stop tying to make people nervous.

Overclocking the memory above the card's clock (even if already overl****ed in the BIOS) removes the issue just the same as underclocking it. For whatever wierd reason it seems to be related to the multiple of the memory frequency or perhaps the ratio of the memory to core speed. Who knows, but going to the older driver or adjusting the memory clock by 5MHz in either direction gets rid of the problem.

-----

As an aside that article is total muck by the way. E.g.:

"I know that there are an elevated number of GeForce 7900 failures in the field among overclocked retail video cards"

Based on what data? Where's the proof? Forum posts? That's hardly concrete data. For all we know the problem rate among 7900GTs is typical of 3D cards. The 7900GTs sold like hot cakes, the couple dozen posts of people having problems may be a tiny percentage of the overall market of 7900GTs out there. People don't join forums just to post "my card is working fine", so you get this unrealistic perception because you only see the people having problems. It's like the same problem with judging how buggy a game is by a forum, I mean go to the Oblivion forums and you'd think Oblivion is the buggiest game in the world, but as a percentage of the overall players based on the game's sales, the people having serious problems is just a drop in the ocean, and for the vast majority of people the game works fine.

Anyway I'm not saying the 7900GTs don't have problems, because I'd be making the same bullcrap assumptions as the author of that article, I just mean to point out how totally bogus some of the statements in that article are. Wait till they get some real proof until you start worrying if you got a bad card.

Redeemed
06-01-06, 06:49 PM
Okay, so does this fix work on the GTXs as well then?

Stevedroid
06-01-06, 06:58 PM
Okay, so does this fix work on the GTXs as well then?
I'm not sure, every post I've seen about it is with people using 7900GTs. It's not that difficult to try it out though. Just download nTune or Coolbits to adjust your clockspeed if you haven't done so already and change your memory speed by 5MHz.

Redeemed
06-01-06, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure, every post I've seen about it is with people using 7900GTs. It's not that difficult to try it out though. Just download nTune or Coolbits to adjust your clockspeed if you haven't done so already and change your memory speed by 5MHz.

I don't own the GTXs yet- but as I'm in the market for a pair I'd like to know that there is a fix for the problems people have been having with them. This way, if I run into the same problems, I wont have to worry about RMA'ing them or anything.

Stevedroid
06-01-06, 10:03 PM
I don't own the GTXs yet- but as I'm in the market for a pair I'd like to know that there is a fix for the problems people have been having with them. This way, if I run into the same problems, I wont have to worry about RMA'ing them or anything.
I'm not aware of people reporting this specific problem with the GTXs. So you were asking me if this fix works for a problem your not even sure the GTXs have :bash:

Sheesh. As I elaborated above don't let all the problem posts throw you off. For every poster with a problem, there's probably several if not dozens of others using their cards with no problem who have no reason to post. If you're worried then your best bet is to stick with a standard clocked card from a maker with good customer service like eVGA, just in case you do have a problem.

Redeemed
06-01-06, 10:12 PM
I'm not aware of people reporting this specific problem with the GTXs. So you were asking me if this fix works for a problem your not even sure the GTXs have

Heh, pretty much. :D :D

I was referring to this "fix" solving the "problems" that have been reported about the GTX. You know, the instability after a few days.

But, you are right about the majority of people probably having zero problems with their GTXs, and the one's I've been reading about are the minority.

I'll probably go with a stock GTX from either BFG, XFX, or eVGA. And if I do run into problems, I'll then try this "fix" and see if that helps. If it does, then I wont have anything to worry about. If it does not, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. ;)

Thanks for your advice. :D