PDA

View Full Version : Updating drivers for SLi is painful!

dante
05-29-06, 10:35 AM
Everytime I change my drivers for my SLi setup I have to take one card out before my pc will even boot. It wont even post it just has a black screen. Then, of course I go through all of the regular driver install deal. Is this they way it is for everyone with SLi? Ive scoured the message boards and no one seems to have the same problem as I do.

Kaguya
05-29-06, 10:38 AM
Everytime I change my drivers for my SLi setup I have to take one card out before my pc will even boot. It wont even post it just has a black screen. Then, of course I go through all of the regular driver install deal. Is this they way it is for everyone with SLi? Ive scoured the message boards and no one seems to have the same problem as I do.

The VERY first time I upgraded from single to SLI the drivers borked a 'little' ... when it detected the first card the screen went black and didn't come back... but I listened to the sounds and got it installed anyway, and it worked (That was in January or something).

Since then I've upgraded drivers hundreds of times without having to remove my cards. I always uninstall the old ones, Driver Clean in Safe Mode, Regclean in Safe Mode, then load up the new drivers... it detects both cards, installs both drivers and away I go.

I think there's probably something wrong with your system :(

OWA
05-29-06, 10:46 AM
Never had to remove mine.

If you disable SLI, does your system still function correctly? If so, try disabling SLI before you remove/install the driver to see how that goes.

dante
05-29-06, 10:50 AM
Kayuga. Ive never cleaned the registry however I do use Driver Clean. How do you clean the registry out??

OWA. I will try disabling sli this time. Havent tried that angle out yet. Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

dante
05-29-06, 10:55 AM
oops. Forget it Kayuga. I found Regclean

OWA
05-29-06, 11:01 AM
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

squall_leonhart
05-29-06, 11:33 AM
do PCI-E mobos have a first init display setting?

Kaguya
05-29-06, 11:42 AM
do PCI-E mobos have a first init display setting?

I don't remember if it does (I'd have to reboot and I'm lazy), but if it did the only options were PCI-E, PCI... nothing that can distinguish between SLI or non-SLI.

Dante, I actually use Regsupreme: http://www.macecraft.com/ ... not that it makes a difference which you use, but I like this tool.

squall_leonhart
05-29-06, 12:04 PM
is the monitor plugged into the right board?

OWA
05-29-06, 12:16 PM
is the monitor plugged into the right board?
Ah, that's a good one. I 2nd this suggestion.

Slammin
05-30-06, 12:52 AM
OS drivers wouldn't have anything to do with the machine not posting. The drivers may make it possible to plug the monitor into the wrong card or port, yet still work though.

I'm with these guys - try plugging into the other card, or port.

grey_1
05-30-06, 04:36 AM
Also make sure SLI is enabled in the bios. I don't know your mobo, but DFI's expert model has a bios setting for it, you may have to dig a bit. Also, I've gotten away from driver cleaner, I just uninstall thru add/remove programs and install the new drivers. never had an issue.

dante
05-30-06, 09:12 AM
OS drivers wouldn't have anything to do with the machine not posting. The drivers may make it possible to plug the monitor into the wrong card or port, yet still work though.

I'm with these guys - try plugging into the other card, or port.
Well, as embarassing as it is I have to admit it. The monitor was plugged in the wrong board. Oh well, I already knew I was stupid. At least I know now I dont have any defective video cards or mobo. Thanks guys

OWA
05-30-06, 01:35 PM
Well, as embarassing as it is I have to admit it. The monitor was plugged in the wrong board. Oh well, I already knew I was stupid. At least I know now I dont have any defective video cards or mobo. Thanks guys
Heh, I did the same thing initially.

Superfly
05-30-06, 01:40 PM
does it matter which DVI port you use?? (as long as you have the right card) I hav'nt tried it with any other ports.......

OWA
05-30-06, 01:45 PM
Early on, people sometimes got different performance using different ports but I haven't seen anyone mention that in quite a while. So, it shouldn't matter but I always try to use the primary port.

rewt
05-30-06, 04:59 PM
On my board I have to use the 2nd slot (graphics card closest to the bottom of the case) for my primary display. If I use the 1st slot I have weird problems like this.

Kaguya
05-30-06, 05:18 PM
EVGA tech support also told me that you should be using the output closest to the motherboard on the primary card... (I had to contact EVGA to make sure I was hooked into the right board as the primary board is the bottom and not the top one for me) :)

Slammin
05-31-06, 09:06 AM
I really have no idea if I'm plugged into the right card or not. With this case, the gfx cards are upside down. I have my DVI cable plugged into the top (1st) card (furthest away from the CPU). Is this the correct card to plug into?

I've not had any problems, and it's the first card/port I tried when I first built the system, so I just never though about it again.

tweaked
05-31-06, 11:37 AM
primary card should be the one closest to cpu.
primary port should be port nearest motherboard.

rewt
05-31-06, 05:25 PM
primary card should be the one closest to cpu.

Oddly enough this doesn't appear to be the case with my setup. Primary card is furthest from the CPU. Or are you referring to the DFI motherboards?

primary port should be port nearest motherboard.

What if you're using a DVI output? On cards with VGA + DVI, DVI normally being the furthest from the motherboard.