PDA

View Full Version : LOL these 7900gts are rough buggers

bugmage
05-29-06, 06:14 PM
so this morning i was putting on watercooling on my 7900gt, and i picked it up and put it in the computer and notices a resistor i think it is on teh floor, the brown things with silver on each end, anyway I couldent find out where it came off so i turned on the computer, overclocked, ran 3dmark 05,06 mad mod demo and oblivion w/o any problems, so i guess that did something but who knows? the only thing i didnt test was tv out, but im fine with that, what a lucky basterd lol, anyway just thought id share(pirate)

we shal c how the voltmod goes

also it matches the color of the one in the far left corner of the card when the card output is facing your right hand and your looking at the back of the card

john19055
05-29-06, 09:01 PM
You can't see any where on the card it may have came off and was there anything else that it could have come from.

AdmiralHalsey..
05-29-06, 09:37 PM
Hmm, my bfg7900gt worked for quite a while with a capacitor broken off, but I think I would rma if I were you. That resistor, or anything and everything that could of been torn from the graphics card, DOES serve a purpose, and your just screwing yourself by waiting till your waranty expires to find out "hey, guess that was and essential resistor after all." Post pics, front and back, of the card. I have a spare 7900gt sitting here, I could compare with yours and see if I can spot where it came from.

bugmage
05-30-06, 01:32 AM
hmm warranty hmm, well do you think putting my cooler from the 7900 on my old 6800 and putting that ram cooler on my 7900 with watercooling voids my warranty ? hehe, yeah it could be important, but i would think that it would have blown by now, can you post a pic of your card, im not at my house but i can print it here and check it later, it might be easyer for me to find it than you, and then ill see if i can reattach it, also my card came kinda weird missing foil over the soilder points on the front so i wonter if it was designed to fall apart and work great lol ill have to get a pic up tomorrow sometime

bugmage
05-30-06, 01:19 PM
heres a pic of my card, its off to tech support job now, but ill be on the computer there so let me know if you see something wrong, the missing one is darkish brown(darkets of the ones on the board) and silver on the size in a rectangual box shape

heres the like to high res pic

http://tescorp.web1000.com/vc.jpg

Redeemed
05-30-06, 01:24 PM
Um, that link took me to two different websites. But it didn't bring up a pic of your card.

bugmage
05-30-06, 03:33 PM
weird and if you just copy it into your address bar it looks like it works fine

let me know

Redeemed
05-30-06, 06:42 PM
Yup, it works when copied to the address bar. Wonder why it isn't working when you click on it?

Back on topic, I'd be cautious running a card with a possible missing capacitor. Could lead to irreversible damage later on.

bugmage
05-30-06, 08:43 PM
i take it the cap hunt didnt go well

do you have pic of your card?

bkswaney
05-30-06, 09:13 PM
Hmm, my bfg7900gt worked for quite a while with a capacitor broken off, but I think I would rma if I were you. That resistor, or anything and everything that could of been torn from the graphics card, DOES serve a purpose, and your just screwing yourself by waiting till your waranty expires to find out "hey, guess that was and essential resistor after all." Post pics, front and back, of the card. I have a spare 7900gt sitting here, I could compare with yours and see if I can spot where it came from.

I agree 100%. RMA that sucker.

bugmage
05-30-06, 09:44 PM
cant lol as if i ddint apply that in a long line of posts :)
im sure its a little voided by now

AdmiralHalsey..
05-30-06, 11:48 PM
Give me a while to look it over. If its a capacitor that came off, then it would be on the front of the card and not the back. Capacitors are rather large, cylindrical, and have 2 connection points. Resistors are very small, usually rectangular thin "chips", usually clumped into groups. I see nothing missing at first glance, at least in the pic you provided.

AdmiralHalsey..
05-31-06, 12:08 AM
Ok, after a good look, I must say that is one blurry photograph. It took me like 8 minutes to download, too.:( Post a pic of the chip that came off, and include in the post[ I.E. type it out] any writing. Like I said, if its a tiny rectangular or square flat chip it is not a capacitor. Cut two thirds off a AA battery, color it dull metalic, and you have a capacitor look alike. That all being said, there were several spots that looked different than the BFG7900gt I have in my lap, but its just so blurry... If you've voided your warranty, I feel for you, but I have returned three 7900gt's after volt modding, and applying aftermarket heatsinks,ramsinks,and stuff. Just cleaned up the card and stuck the stock gpu decoration, i mean peice of ****, i mean "heat sink" back on there and sent it back, no problem and not even a question asked.