PDA

View Full Version : Going to Try A LCD Monitior again

john19055
05-29-06, 09:37 PM
It is sure hard to get me away from my Trinitron CRT 21' ,I have tried two 19' in the past a viewsonic 8ms and a spectra 19' 8ms ,the picture look sharp but I had noticeable ghosting when I played certain games,I have look at a lot of reviews and the Samsung SyncMaster 204B is a 20.1inch TFT-LCD monitor delivering a 800:1 contrast ratio, at 5ms response time and a maximum resolution of 1600x1200 ,all the reviews so far show it to be a great monitor and no ghosting in fast games,at least that what I am hiopeing .I looked at the viewsonic 19" which has a 2ms response time which I am sure would have been great but I wanted a monitor that had a resolution of 1600x1200 since that is what I play my games at,I going to give it a shot ,it has got to top my 21"CRT trinitron.

Belarnion
05-30-06, 03:37 AM
Don't worry about ghosting on the fastest LCD's. You'll probably notice a bit of ghosting the first couple of weeks, but it's soon forgotten. That's my experience at least. I've not had a CRT monitor since late 2001.

ViN86
05-30-06, 09:17 AM
i cant even tell if my LCD ghosts or not, i dont really look for it. its just so damn crisp i cant believe it. i use a CRT for gaming when im home over the summer though, i like playin games at 1600x1200

einstein_314
05-30-06, 10:54 AM
Yeah, on pretty much all newer LCDs you don't have to worry about ghosting. I mean, my LCD (Samsung 172x) which I got almost 2 years ago, has a 12ms response time, and I don't notice ghosting most of the time. There is the odd situation where I do notice it. But those situations are very rare. Once you've gone to a LCD, you won't go back. Everything is so crisp. Now if only the Dell 2407wfp would come out in Canada, I could get a new one...

john19055
05-31-06, 02:39 PM
Iwent to LCD but I went back to my old 21" trinitron because of ghosting maybe this Samsung SyncMaster 204B has a faster response time of 5ms ,I want notice it as much,I wanted a 20.1" because of the 1600x1200 where I play nearly all my games at and ever review I have look at has nothing but good to say about the 20.1"Samsung SyncMaster 204B

Tygerwoody
05-31-06, 03:40 PM
Just my .02

No matter what ANYONE says. EVERY single LCD monitor out there will ghost. I don't care how good it is. If you are in the mindset "ooooo look at me, I'm going to see if I can find ghosting on my monitor so I can tell everyone I have super vision that notices ghosting. Oooooo look at me!!!" then you WILL see ghosting. Even if its not there, you will see it.

Either keep the CRT or just accept the fact that "hey, this might have a small amount of ghosting, but at least it wont kill my eyes like CRT's do when reading text. I also have a ton of desk space now. I'll miss my CRT, but LCD's are the supreme technology in day to day usage".

This is coming from a guy who started a thread in the gaming forum about how much I LOVE CRT's. I do like CRT's, but in day to day usage LCD's DO rank supreme. If it is better than 16ms refresh, then the LCD monitor is definitely good enough to game with.

/my 0.2

Riptide
05-31-06, 04:02 PM
/agress w/Tyger

I don't notice ghosting unless I look for it. But motion blur is still there under specific circumstances - such as panning around at moderate speed or facing a wall and strafing side to side.

SLippe
05-31-06, 04:49 PM
Well, every since I got my 7900 GT CO Superclocked, NHL 06 is virtually ghost free. It was really only noticeable with the puck and not the players, but like I said, that has disappeared now. I think ghosting on LCD's just depends on too many factors to blame the LCD itself.

john19055
06-01-06, 09:57 AM
On some LCD monitors you do no have to be (OOOOO look at me ) they are just that bad.I am not one to be that picky but the last LCD I had a blind man could have seen the ghosting.

Mathesar
06-03-06, 07:56 AM
24" Sony GDM-FW900 CRT ftw! ;)