PDA

View Full Version : Japanese want the Wii, say PS3 is too expensive

saturnotaku
05-30-06, 10:12 AM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17343

Good for Nintendo I'd say, not so much for Sony.

Athena
05-30-06, 10:21 AM
Can't read that link here at work, can you sum up what it says? Beyond PS3 costs to much?

I am really kinda excited about the price backlash against the PS3. I would love to have one but currently it will not happen. I do not have that kind of money. But this could push the developers to make more Wii games :D

Am_I_Evil
05-30-06, 10:52 AM
Wii is most wanted console for Japanese consumers - survey

Ellie Gibson 12:46 30/05/2006

Nearly 90 per cent of respondents say PS3 is too expensive

A reader survey by Famitsu magazine has revealed that nearly 70 per cent of respondents are most looking forward to the arrival of the Nintendo Wii - while more than 85 per cent believe the PS3 has been priced too high.

Readers voted the PS3 release date and price announcement as the biggest news to come out of this year's E3, with 88.4 per cent stating that the console is too expensive. Just 10.9 per cent believe the price is about right, while 0.7 per cent think it is too low.

A total of 68.8 per cent of respondents said they were most interested in the Nintendo Wii, with the PS3 trailing behind at 21 per cent. Just over 7 per cent voted for the Xbox 360, with the remainder expressing the most interest in the Nintendo DS.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the most popular game to be shown at E3, followed by Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Super Smash Bros. Famitsu readers also placed Dragon Quest Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, Final Fantasy III, Monster Hunter 3 and Biohazard in the top ten, with Halo 3 ranking in last place.

msxyz
05-30-06, 10:53 AM
Is this the same survey I pointed out in this thread ? http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70718 :D

Anyway, at least till 2008, Nintendo new console has a chance to lead the market in Japan

S.I.N
05-30-06, 10:57 AM
The way there gobbling up the Nintendo DS Lite's and paying more for it than a 360 when it sells out I wouldnt doubt it. The DS is killing the PSP in Japan and If it wasnt for the west it would be a failure.

saturnotaku
05-30-06, 11:18 AM
But this could push the developers to make more Wii games :D

Maybe. Depends on how their realtionship with Nintendo is. Sony had excellent relations with 3rd party developers. Nintendo, not so much. Aside from Resident Evil 4, you probably can't name but a very small handful of 3rd party titles for the Cube that were successful.

Mr_LoL
05-30-06, 01:19 PM
Good so I might as well enjoy the last console Sony will ever make as everyone in Japan will buy the wii..

Gaco
05-30-06, 02:12 PM
They say it's too expensive, but they don't say they won't buy it.. I really think Sony has nothing to worry about, especially in Japan! :)

aAv7
05-30-06, 02:16 PM
Sony will still sell millions of systems. But I honestly dont think they will have a clear and easy win this time around. Dare I say I feel 360 will probably be king of the hill this gen. It just has way too much momentum right now.

Blu-ray really has to catch on quick for the ps3 with developers making use of the extra storage space ala n64 vs. psone for them to really grab a majority of gamers imo.

Meanwhile everyone will buy a wii as a second system and nintendo will quietly dominate all heh

Zelda_fan
05-30-06, 04:07 PM
Sony will still sell millions of systems. But I honestly dont think they will have a clear and easy win this time around. Dare I say I feel 360 will probably be king of the hill this gen. It just has way too much momentum right now.

Blu-ray really has to catch on quick for the ps3 with developers making use of the extra storage space ala n64 vs. psone for them to really grab a majority of gamers imo.

Meanwhile everyone will buy a wii as a second system and nintendo will quietly dominate all heh

They will sell millions of systems. But more like 8-9 million, not 80+ million like the PS2. EVERY single piece of evidence is pointing towards the fall of sony. Good riddance.

LiquidX
05-30-06, 05:20 PM
The PS3 will definitely have a fight on there hands. I dont think we will see numbers like the PS2.

Toss3
05-31-06, 06:56 AM
The PS3 will definitely have a fight on there hands. I dont think we will see numbers like the PS2.
Of course not - they didn't have a strong competitor back then. I still think that sony will sell a lot of Ps3s, not 8-9million, more like 20-50(million). Most of my friends have Ps2s and would never ever buy an xbox360, so they're all waiting for the ps3, why I don't know. I really don't see why one should wait for something that is already being offered to us by microsoft. Of course bluray would be nice, but seriously: how many of us have hd-tvs?

ENU291
05-31-06, 08:28 AM
I doubt Sony will sell 20-50 million PS3's. Even some hardcore Sony fans that I know started having second thoughts the second Sony announced the $600 price tag. The statement I keep hearing is that most gamers don't care about Blu-ray and that $600 is just to expensive for a console.

Mr_LoL
05-31-06, 10:44 AM
I honestly think that when Sony drops the price, the sales of the console will pick up significantly. I just cant see a price drop within at least a year of release especially if it sells well initially.

Zelda_fan
05-31-06, 10:58 AM
The way there gobbling up the Nintendo DS Lite's and paying more for it than a 360 when it sells out I wouldnt doubt it. The DS is killing the PSP in Japan and If it wasnt for the west it would be a failure.

The PSP is pretty much a failure in the west as well....

evilchris
05-31-06, 02:52 PM
Wii60 ftw

Yuet
06-02-06, 02:16 PM
At the end of day, it really depends on what kind of games and how many developers Sony can keep for PS3. The success of PS2 really down to third party developers releaseing tons of games for PS2, this makes the console have like 10-15 new games per week to keep it fresh. One of the reason why Cube looks dead is because it just don't release games fast enough.

Back in the day when Nintendo was king (mid/late 80s - early 90s) in far east asia, they have the worst machine in NES (8-bit), Sega have MegaDrive (16-bit) and NEC have PC Engine (8-bit/16-bit), both Sega and NEC's machine are much more powerful, but because Nintendo have the most third party developers, they are the most succesful with many games, and that momentum carries them on to SNES (16-bit). Nintendo then lost to Sony and Sega because they don't have a 32-bit machine to match the first Playstation and Saturn.

I think keeping interest for third party developers is the key for a console's success and of course also the people who plays on them.

aAv7
06-03-06, 02:10 PM
Nintendo then lost to Sony and Sega because they don't have a 32-bit machine to match the first Playstation and Saturn.

Nintendo had an even more powerful 64-bit machine to take on those two 32-bit machines. The reason they lost that generation was because they stuck to a cartridge based format which chased away all the 3rd party developers, who went to sony's cd's based machine where so much more was possible.

It also didn't help nintendo to charge developers the highest fee for making a game on their machine. (This happened with gamecube as well) Why pay more to develop a game on a system with half the user base.

Yuet
06-03-06, 07:07 PM
Nintendo had an even more powerful 64-bit machine to take on those two 32-bit machines. The reason they lost that generation was because they stuck to a cartridge based format which chased away all the 3rd party developers, who went to sony's cd's based machine where so much more was possible.

It also didn't help nintendo to charge developers the highest fee for making a game on their machine. (This happened with gamecube as well) Why pay more to develop a game on a system with half the user base.

Yea, I know but I did not bother to mention it because I don't think we need a whole history lesson on console war :p, but as you said Nintendo lost it mainly because of the format for N64 and no 3rd party developer support.