PDA

View Full Version : Image burned in LCD after 3 days!?

sillyeagle
05-30-06, 08:29 PM
I restarted my work PC friday night, and when I got here on Tues I found out it had hung at the desktop image, and that white parts of the image are now burned in where there was a hard line of contrast between white and dark gray. Is it normal to have burn in on an LCD after only 3 days?

Vapor Trail
05-30-06, 08:35 PM
I restarted my work PC friday night, and when I got here on Tues I found out it had hung at the desktop image, and that white parts of the image are now burned in where there was a hard line of contrast between white and dark gray. Is it normal to have burn in on an LCD after only 3 days?

It is not the same type of burn in as you get on a CRT. Try setting the background to a solid white screen for a couple days and it will probably go away.

You either have to select a good reliable screen saver that changes the entire screen with no high contrast areas stuck in the same place or better yet, just set the screen to go blank after 30 minutes or so.

sillyeagle
05-31-06, 04:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like it is mostly gone already.

Neophyte
05-31-06, 05:53 PM
Damn, why do screensavers excist ? i wonder why. Must be to showcase some great graphical details instead of saving the lifetime of your monitor / tft. shiees. Likw go drink a cup of coffee behind your pc not touching a key... a well you get the point.

Rakeesh
05-31-06, 06:02 PM
Well most people use CRT's still. CRT's have the problem of uneven aging of the phosphors which results in the so called "burn in," which is why they need the screen saver to make sure it ages more evenly.

Liquid crystal doesn't really age. Just when the charge is applied to the liquid crystal for so long it will tend to remain in its state long after the charge has gone. You can fix that by massaging the pixels and/or leaving it warm for a while without any charge (e.g. a solid white screen.)