PDA

View Full Version : Any 7900GT cooler that uses card's fan power?

Stevedroid
05-31-06, 07:02 PM
I'm looking to get some better coolers for my 7900GTs.

I looked at the the Zalman coolers, but I don't like having to connect them to system power instead of the card's power slot. My case is already a horrid mess of cables despite my best efforts, and I don't want it getting any worse.

Does anyone know a 7900GT compatible cooler that uses the card's on board power connector for the fan?

Stevedroid
05-31-06, 08:16 PM
Hmm...did some searching and found someone saying the 3 pin connector on the VF700/900 work fine if you pull the red and black contacts out of the connector and plug them into the card's 2 pin power. 3rd pin is just RPM monitor as is normal for a 3 pin fan connector.

I think I might be picking up a pair of VF700s then. VF900 is a bit expensive for my taste and I'm not doing any extreme overclocking. Mainly I just want something that will keep the memory a little cooler since it gets burning hot.

john19055
06-01-06, 02:04 AM
Be careful because most after market coolers draw more power then the factory one on it ,I would just hook it up to the three pin motherboard and then you can see what the fan spins at,or just hook it up straight to the power supply with a 4pin to 3 pin adapter.

Stevedroid
06-02-06, 11:32 PM
Be careful because most after market coolers draw more power then the factory one on it ,I would just hook it up to the three pin motherboard and then you can see what the fan spins at,or just hook it up straight to the power supply with a 4pin to 3 pin adapter.
Well the stuff I read said it's ok to use the card power for the non-LED fan version (which is the ones I got).

I just dread having yet more untidy cables in my PC. I really like to keep my case clean, but it's been difficult with the number of components I've got in there now.

SLippe
06-03-06, 03:16 PM
Dude, use little 3" or 4" quick-ties. I just installed my VF900 yesterday and I ran the wire back behind the fan/heatsink straight to the mobo plug. You can't even see it. Besides, the card's plug is only a 2-pin plug and the mobo plug is a 3-pin. I can't believe how quiet this fan is at full-power. I didn't use the Fanmate.

Stevedroid
06-03-06, 04:46 PM
Dude, use little 3" or 4" quick-ties. I just installed my VF900 yesterday and I ran the wire back behind the fan/heatsink straight to the mobo plug. You can't even see it. Besides, the card's plug is only a 2-pin plug and the mobo plug is a 3-pin. I can't believe how quiet this fan is at full-power. I didn't use the Fanmate.
My mobo plugs are occupied by case fans. Even if they weren't I don't have two in close enough proximity (I'm running SLI). As mentioned above the 3rd cable is just for RPM monitoring and is unimportant. The 3 pin plug on the fan and can fit over the 2 pin socket on the video card by removing the plastic gaurd from around the pins.