PDA

View Full Version : ASUS A8NSLI-32 Motherboard And Water Cooling

The Bigman
05-31-06, 09:21 PM
I got this board and have heard alot of folks who went watercooling have issues with heat from the chipset. I was running stock cooling fan from my AMD fan from the x2 4400 which is ok not the best but was doing the job.

I was getting cpu temps of 116F 130F Max load. Went to Water Cooling and get 95F to 105F Full load, But the chipset is running about 125F idle Max 140F.

I think that is sick if you ask me its not a GPU or CPU. It shouldn't run even near that. 112F is good. I called ASUS and ragged at them about it. They say go water cooling of the chipset, but their is that copper tubing chipset pipeline. I don't know if it just takes care of the chipset or both chipset and voltage regulators buy the radiator ajasent to the cpu. I may have to go wasterbock on the chipet and also i heard if you have stock cooling the 2 7800 GTX BFG tech cards that creates alot of heat near the chipset. I think its that so i went with Zalman vga coolers for both Friday hoping that fixes that problem.

I don't get why this board runs hot with chpset after cooling. Folks do this most for cpu but don't think of the chipset even with this board.

sandeep
06-01-06, 12:53 AM
Don't worry about chipset, its perfectly fine. Just overclock the hell out of the beast.

Also, did you take the thin plastic bit out of the chipset heatsink. Its like glad-wrap. Transparent plastic to prevent the scratches from handling.

I haven't heard of any A8N32-SLI board die because of chipset.

The Bigman
06-01-06, 01:13 AM
I didn't do that but removed the ASUS logo sticker from the middle of the heatpipe. I don't know if that was it but it exposed the copper pipe more.

I hope that isn't the problem with my heat becuase i pitched that in the can a month ago.

People are saying it because of the sli with 7800GTX running so hot with stock cooling so went and got 2 silencers so Friday i will be getting those on. I didn't mod anything just went with a Corsair water cooling kit. Can this board do chipset watercooling?

The Bigman
06-01-06, 11:27 AM
Sounds like folks aren't having these problems here. I will just call ASUS again and bfgtech for advice.

mon
06-01-06, 05:04 PM
i get 38-42 c on idle i contacted them ages ago and the max temp for mb is 70c

also i have the frezzer 64 cooler on the board

The Bigman
06-02-06, 12:22 AM
I got a friend who has same board and gets around 112F 118F full with this board. I get 125F Idle or browsing and 139F or 140F max which is strange. I heard it could be my chipset is shot or damaged.

No BSOD or errors but the annoying high temp messeges in asus probe 2.

rudedog
06-02-06, 05:31 AM
When you added your water cooling setup did you put the small optional cooling fan on the chipset fins

It's in the bag marked "For use in junction with passive cooler or water cooler only:

I assume by not having a cpu fan you loose the air flow around these cooling fins

kwynjunk
06-02-06, 08:22 AM
When you added your water cooling setup did you put the small optional cooling fan on the chipset fins

It's in the bag marked "For use in junction with passive cooler or water cooler only:

I assume by not having a cpu fan you loose the air flow around these cooling fins

I had this board and it ran hot. I updated to the latest BIOS and temps dropped by 6 degrees C!!!!!!

Then I put a fan blowing across the southbridge!!! BAM...2 more degrees.

So idles went from 40-42 down t0 34.

When the Air Conditioning is on they went down to 28-30 degrees C.

This is all on air.

Get the latest BIOS. I think it is 1250 or 1260 or something like that.

The Bigman
06-02-06, 01:30 PM
I got the latest bios for this board from April. I noticed temps alittle higher. I didn't get the optional fan with the board, so i baught a brushless chipset fan and placed it on the radiotor by the socket.

I think its alot to do with the 2 7800GTX's near the southbridge and close to the northbridge.

I am at witts end with this thing even had the pipe removed from system to replace the thermal paste with silver paste which helped.

Maybe watercooling the 2 gpu's will help alot. Can i put a fan over the middle block on the pipeline? Thats where all the heat is coming from. people say this board is very hot their because of factory flaws.

The Bigman
06-04-06, 11:25 PM
I think i figured this out. Its the chipset at the bottom of the heatpipe with Alife on it. I have 2 cards and soundcard XFI, so i moved the xfi to the bottom pci slot giving more room for a fan so i put a fan over it and cooled this things down over 20degees. I don't know why that block gets so hot but it does. I think it might the main chip on this board.

Greasy
06-05-06, 06:32 AM
I had to put a secondary fan on mine, because I was regularly hitting 50~55C. After zip tying a 120mm fan on to the door of my shark (looks like crap) the temps went down to 30~35C and no more than 41C under load.

An added benefit of this was my memory gets cooled now as well. :)

No doubt about it though... this board will get very hot if you're water cooling the CPU

The Bigman
06-10-06, 12:24 PM
That cool i dumped the AMD project and went with an Intel Dual Core 3.2GB anyway.

From my gatering the tmeps are 10c CPU and 30C Chipset and GPU 22C. Wow Good ha. I went danger Den.