PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS3 Exec Says, "We Do Not Need The PC"

Pages : [1] 2 3

aAv7
05-31-06, 11:22 PM
Now they're just getting ignorantly dumb...

If this doesn't make Gates push Vista like no tomorrow I don't know what will/would...

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=10494

Q
05-31-06, 11:33 PM
Didn't they say this about the first two playstations also??? We saw how that went....

evilchris
06-01-06, 12:02 AM
Yeah, elite PS2 web browsing.

PeterJensen
06-01-06, 12:34 AM
Well they are really starting to bug those PS3 workers. I was planning getting a PS3 with my x360.

Nv40
06-01-06, 01:30 AM
again... more sensationalist journalism ,and people who love to hate that company for nothing. Sony sells PC's ,they arent going to drop their Notebooks and desktops from the market anytime ever.

He compares Ps3 with TRADITIONAL PCS those that are only used for Internet browsing ,email and chat ,things that the ps3 will easily do ,and the xbox360 does too. nothing new..the diference is that the PS3 will have an open OS enviroment for anyone who have the console to write their own aplications and programs. in others words for non-gaming stuff will work like a traditional PC. since will have a Hardisk/mouse/keyboard and an open OS enviroment ,is like a new AMIGA 500 or ATARi512st. programmable consoles or microcomputers. . So Sony is one more time correct again. about 5% from 100 millions of their ps2 users will buy the console even if it had no games at launch ,very easy ..since at least the hardcore ps fans can remember Sony past ,and know that historically they have always released excelent games..and the console will work also like a traditional computer. no news here .. only more evidence of a full time FUD campaing againts the company. wouldnt be surprised if Microsoft is behind every "controversy" raised ,about them.

Edge
06-01-06, 02:46 AM
So basically what NV40 is saying is that Dreamcasts should've replaced PCs years ago?

PeterJensen
06-01-06, 03:53 AM
I still dont think you have free accesss to the PS3 OS.

|MaguS|
06-01-06, 06:40 AM
I still dont think you have free accesss to the PS3 OS.

You don't, You have free access to Linux which is availabe aswell as the PS3s OS. Its going to be dual boot.

ENU291
06-01-06, 07:11 AM
You guys are dreaming if you think Sony will leave the PS3's OS open for the programming and modding community. They are going to lock it down TIGHT! The PSP and that whole rootkit fiasco is a perfect example of how Sony loves to control every aspect of there products. You will be able to browse the web, send email or have access to some kind of word processor app when Sony decides it not before.

agentkay
06-01-06, 08:57 AM
**** Sony and I wanted to buy that console. :mad:

PeterJensen
06-01-06, 09:33 AM
You don't, You have free access to Linux which is availabe aswell as the PS3s OS. Its going to be dual boot.

A dual booting console....

|MaguS|
06-01-06, 09:50 AM
**** Sony and I wanted to buy that console. :mad:

So because what an exec says your not going to? Wow, Hope you don't apply this to everything else in life or you wont have much...

PeterJensen, Why not? Sony wants the PS3 to be a center for a persons entertainment needs... Oh and when I ment that linux would be free access, I do expect them to implement some limitations so users cannot access any vital parts of the PS3s firmware, Bios or main OS.

aAv7
06-01-06, 11:37 AM
So basically what NV40 is saying is that Dreamcasts should've replaced PCs years ago?

ROFL!!!!!

Q
06-01-06, 11:45 AM
ROFL!!!!!

Hey, Don't laugh!!!

I was using my NES for word processing YEARS ago!!!

Ok...it was a game genie....but still...;)

Zelda_fan
06-01-06, 11:56 AM
Nothing new here guys.

Sony makes another stupid comment, and NV40 procceds to rub their nuts.

Nothing out of the ordinary here folks.

brady
06-01-06, 01:51 PM
Nothing new here guys.

Sony makes another stupid comment, and NV40 procceds to rub their nuts.

Nothing out of the ordinary here folks.

:rofl

Hex
06-01-06, 02:03 PM
The whole negativity thing is pretty assinine all and all.
Sony is attempting to offer more options than just a gaming console for the price.
With the hardware involved it is a smart move and I am surprised that 360 hasnt pushed more options yet.
We have people on here acting like they know what Sony will allow and not allow with linux but honestly as far as I know, nobody in this thread works for Sony or has an insider or has even had hands on.
If it fails it fails, if it never happens it never happens, but to dismiss it before launch day is just jackassery.
You act like Sony is the only company that makes empty promises or doesnt deliver.
Nobody expects to replace high end gaming pcs, and to read it as that shows very limited thought.
But a game system that you can also do day to day fuctions on is not such a bad idea.

Zelda_fan
06-01-06, 02:10 PM
The whole point of buying the PS3 is to play games on the PS3. End of story.

Is the $600 entry price + tax worth it just to play MGS4? I have a feeling a lot of peple will say no. Especially when the Wii is $200, and you get access to games like Red Steel, Zelda, and Mario Galexy.

PeterJensen
06-01-06, 02:14 PM
Well they will be playing MGS4 on the PS3, i will be playing Paper Boy on XBL :D

Hex
06-01-06, 02:22 PM

Is the $600 entry price + tax worth it just to play MGS4? I have a feeling a lot of peple will say no. Especially when the Wii is $200, and you get access to games like Red Steel, Zelda, and Mario Galexy.

I disagree fully, and that is the limited thinking that is behind everyone whining over the price of the PS3.
When you have a processor with that much power, a GPU with that much power, upgradable hard drive, blue tooth, usb2, wifi why in the hell would you limit it to just playing games.
Full online potential ( free) opens the door for quite a bit of options also.
Whether it will be tapped into is up in the air and nobody will know until November and beyond but there are no such things as just game systems anymore.

Zelda_fan
06-01-06, 02:36 PM
I disagree fully, and that is the limited thinking that is behind everyone whining over the price of the PS3.
When you have a processor with that much power, a GPU with that much power, upgradable hard drive, blue tooth, usb2, wifi why in the hell would you limit it to just playing games.
Whether it will be tapped into is up in the air and nobody will know until November and beyond but there are no such things as just game systems anymore.

If I want wireless networking, I'll buy a wireless router that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

If I want bluray, I'll buy a dedicated bluray that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

If I want to browse the internet, I'll use a computer that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

no one really gives a rats ass about an all in 1 uber device. They just want to play games. That is why Wii60 will win, and Sony will lose.

LiquidX
06-01-06, 02:56 PM

Great posts. People have to look at the fact your getting alot more and when factor in what it is that your getting then its a reasonable price. Many people also whined about MS including a hard drive in the original XBox but look how great it turned out to be. It brought consoles to a whole new level.

The media capabitites of the PS3 are a major draw for me and if I can dump all my movies, music and pictures on the HD with having to convert or do anything fancy then it will be more than worth it. Surfing the net and Blu-Ray are a major bonus. The price is hefty but look at what your getting.

Toss3
06-01-06, 03:12 PM

Well now, I plan on getting the Ps3 not only to play games but also to watch bluray movies, surf the web, send e-mails and chat. It offers so much more than the xbox360. I don't care if you tell me that "0Mg T3h Ps3 SuXX0rs!!", when you're the one not seeing the whole picture. I agree that Sony makes their console sound like it would be the next supercomputer while everyone knows that it isn't, but what they offer for the price of just 600$ is still convincing. But you swing your wii stick around while I do so much more with my console.. :P (Yes I own an xbox360)

If I want wireless networking, I'll buy a wireless router that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

If I want bluray, I'll buy a dedicated bluray that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

If I want to browse the internet, I'll use a computer that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

no one really gives a rats ass about an all in 1 uber device. They just want to play games. That is why Wii60 will win, and Sony will lose.

And this would cost you just how much? Definately more than 600$!

slick
06-01-06, 03:45 PM
And this would cost you just how much? Definately more than 600$!

You missed the key part of each of those sentances.

...that does the job much better than the PS3 ever will.

Toss3
06-01-06, 03:58 PM
You missed the key part of each of those sentances.
Yes, but at what price? So he's saying that the ps3 sucks because other devices do a better job than it? Well now, I don't know about you, but getting the best at something isn't always an option; I've got a tight budget and the ps3 offers all of these great features that I couldn't afford separately. And why now doesn't he say anything about the external hd-dvd player for the xbox360?