PDA

View Full Version : PureVideo

MindBlank
06-01-06, 04:09 AM
What does PureVideo do?

I installed it as i heard it hepls playback of HD movies. Well, it doesn't even see my HD movies let alone play any of them. Same for DVDs.

How can i play HD movies and not see my CPU go to 100%, get sound async and get a steady framerate. Weren't the new GPUs from both nV and ATI supposed to get the some of the load off the processor when playing demanding media like HDTV?

Someone please explain these things as i really am uninformed in this domain. I always skip any list of video "features" GPUs have cause i find them uninteresting.

sharangad
06-01-06, 06:50 AM
What does PureVideo do?

You need codecs which can use the acceleration. For example for WMV HD clips:

You can download a patch for WMP10 to enable the acceleration ( KB888656 ) or use the beta of WMP11.

For H.264, you need a build of PowerDVD with PureVideo H.264 support or a version of Nero Showtime Ultra which supports it.

For MPEG-2 both SD & HD with Forceware 91.28, should work with any program which uses DXVA video acceleration for MPEG-2, like PowerDVD, WinDVD, Nero and so on.

SLippe
06-01-06, 07:19 AM
Just download WMP 11 and you won't need Purevideo, plus, it's borked with the 91.28 drivers. I usually use PowerDVD, but not anymore, not since WMP 11.

MindBlank
06-02-06, 04:41 AM
Yeah, i got MP11 and it's the same. It's still choppy in some spots, and sometimes it looks like getting HD trashing in games! I have all the codecs people told me to install before playing a HDTV movie, and still i'm not satisfied.

SLippe
06-02-06, 06:48 AM
Well, I don't know what codecs you are talking about. All you need is WMP11 and maybe Quicktime 7 for HD .mov files. Now, if you are talking about some type of HD xvid or divx, then yes, of course you'll need those codecs. It's gotta be one or more of the codes you've installed. I'd suggest uninstalling them all and just trying WMP11 or Quicktime 7, depending what you are watching, first. Good luck.

BTW, you can find both .wmv and .mov in HD on their prospective websites.

MindBlank
06-02-06, 07:14 AM
I've uninstalled the codecs and it doesn't run anymore. If i start it with WMP11 then the HDD starts working like mad and it never stops until i end task WMP.

I'm giving it up, this is just BS.

LE : The file i'm trying to play is an .mkv which is a Matroska file. Doesn't this count as HD?

sharangad
06-02-06, 03:19 PM
I've uninstalled the codecs and it doesn't run anymore. If i start it with WMP11 then the HDD starts working like mad and it never stops until i end task WMP.

I'm giving it up, this is just BS.

LE : The file i'm trying to play is an .mkv which is a Matroska file. Doesn't this count as HD?

You won't be able to play back DVDs/MPEG-2 clips without an MPEG-2 decoder. WMP11 doesn't come with an MPEG-2 decoder, so you need some other third party decoder. The only thing that WMP11 comes with is a WMV decoder, which can offer hardware acceleration of WMV HD and WMV SD. For H.264, Quicktime's a pure software decoder and will work on any machine irrespective of whether you have an nVidia card. If you use something like one of the decoders listed here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_purevideo_requirements.html ( apart from WinDVD listed here, which at the moment doesn't support H.264 acceleration )

you should get hardware accelerated decoding of H.264.

You should uninstall all other codec packs, as they will probably mess with the filter graphs used for playing back other stuff.

Monolyth
06-02-06, 04:14 PM
Matroska is NOT processed by PureVideo.
H.264 and .TS (MPEG2) streams are what PureVideo handles best.

I use VideoLAN (VLC) to handle Matroska files since it will play it without me having to install any additional codecs.

AndreUY1980
06-02-06, 07:32 PM
Purevideo is just a "Marketing product".
I had NVDVD decoder and I got Purevideo, Both supports HD.
But running in a P4HT 3.40Ghz 2GB RAM 7900GT 512MB, Both programs have unexpected results.
Purevideo Uses 60% of Cpu and the color is far from good in HD.
But Nvdvd the older codec uses 40% and the definition is great also with any trouble or sputtering like purevideo.
NVDVD 2.67 and Purevideo 1.26 9(playing in Nstand) .
I think they should try to improve in the new products instead of going backwards.

MindBlank
06-03-06, 02:29 AM
Matroska is NOT processed by PureVideo.
H.264 and .TS (MPEG2) streams are what PureVideo handles best.

I use VideoLAN (VLC) to handle Matroska files since it will play it without me having to install any additional codecs.

Yes, you're right. I just played some HD media and the nV Decoder icon appeared. I chose Hardware acceleration and it ran exptremely smooth and looked amazing. Without Hardware acceleration it was horrible.

So, how do i play Matroska media fluidly?