PDA

View Full Version : Pentium still in it?

NrGx
06-01-06, 07:03 AM
Building the "new rig" in my sig and am now having second thoughts about the cpu. The reason I chose it was because it is very cheap $AU 299 and performs almost as well as a X2 3800+ ($AU 438). Not only this, but I've heard that they can OC so high they outperform a FX-60 (can't remember which review).

Secondly, would I be better off with a cheaper A64 3700+? I wish to game, maybe encode movies and thats it. As long as my sapphire isn't bottlenecked.

Badboy_12345
06-01-06, 08:08 AM
no dual core is the way to go now...
buying singel core now Is just waste of money in my opinion

ViN86
06-01-06, 09:30 AM
if youre going to go with intel, id wait to see how the Conroe (Core Duo) prices look in AU terms

ENU291
06-01-06, 09:52 AM
In my opinion the Intel Pentium 4 with Net Burst technology was totally disappointing and the fact that Intel has totally turned away from that tech tells me that they also came to the exact same realization. Stay away from P4s!!

bkswaney
06-03-06, 03:28 AM
In my opinion the Intel Pentium 4 with Net Burst technology was totally disappointing and the fact that Intel has totally turned away from that tech tells me that they also came to the exact same realization. Stay away from P4s!!

That's a fact.
Nut Bust is dead. Thank god.

Maverickman
06-08-06, 02:15 PM
Netburst was definitely nothing special as it was tuned for high frequencies and low IPC. However, high-end Pentium 4s and Extreme Editions are nothing to make fun of. The P4 3.8GHz is still a very powerful chip. If you have an AMD 2.2GHz (like me), it's tough to make up 1.6GHz in clock speed even if you have a much more efficient CPU.