PDA

View Full Version : please god someone help me!!!!!!!!!!1

ringfort
06-01-06, 02:04 PM
I play Aces High 2 and upuntill I bought a new graphics card thingss were not to bad except I needed to get a better card. My new card is a GeForce 6200, PCI 128MB DDR. now when I play Aces High the game freezes and after a while the computer shuts down.

I have been told it could be a driver problem (by 3d fusion tech support) But nothing I have tried has worked. I have also been told that older drivers may work better, can anyone advise me on this I would be very greatful for any assistance.

Ringfort:)

ringfort
06-01-06, 02:07 PM
I play Aces High 2 and upuntill I bought a new graphics card thingss were not to bad except I needed to get a better card. My new card is a GeForce 6200, PCI 128MB DDR. now when I play Aces High the game freezes and after a while the computer shuts down.

I have been told it could be a driver problem (by 3d fusion tech support) But nothing I have tried has worked. I have also been told that older drivers may work better, can anyone advise me on this I would be very greatful for any assistance.

Ringfort:)lets do it to them before they do it to us

SLippe
06-01-06, 02:22 PM
What driver set are you using? Sounds somewhat like a heat issue. Have you monitored the temps on your card? Could be a defective card or maybe your PSU isn't strong enough. What size PSU do you have?

ringfort
06-01-06, 02:35 PM
hi slippe not sure about the drivers i think they are 77-77, these drivers were recommended by 3d fusion tech supportbut my PSU is 250W my understanding from reading some of the stuff here is that nvidia recomend at least 350W is this so, is it expensive to replace PSU? how do I check temperature of the card?

Thanks for the help i really mean it your a gentlman sir

nutball
06-01-06, 03:15 PM
No way will you need more than 250W with that graphics card (unless you've got some dual-processor over-clocked Pentium 4s sitting alongside it!). That doesn't mean the PSU isn't at fault though, if it's a cheap and bad one.

Graphics card temperature can be checked in the NVIDIA control panel, under Display Settings.

Check that all your fans are working as they should (PSU, CPU, graphics card, etc.).

john19055
06-01-06, 04:01 PM
What is the spec's of your system,have you tried the 84.21 and do you have DX9c installed.And it is possable that it could be a power supply problem even on the lowest end 6200 PCI it recomends a 300watt power supply.

Salamandar
06-01-06, 04:32 PM
250 watt !!! that's too low by todays PC specs.
Give us all your PC specs please and also temp. reading from both CPU and graphics card.

jcniest5
06-01-06, 10:24 PM
Yeap, I also agree that 250W is out of spec for any current PC. Grab yourself at least a 400W or better. It doesn't cost that much, sometimes it's even less. Running a PC on 250W PSU is almost like a joke these days. No, I'm not bashing you at all. Just telling you how it is.

nutball
06-02-06, 01:48 AM
Yeap, I also agree that 250W is out of spec for any current PC. Grab yourself at least a 400W or better. It doesn't cost that much, sometimes it's even less. Running a PC on 250W PSU is almost like a joke these days. No, I'm not bashing you at all. Just telling you how it is.

Really?

My rig:

Gigabyte K8N-SLI mobo
AMD A64 X2 3800+
4 x 512MB RAM
NVIDIA 7900GT
Raptor 150GB
Samsung 160GB
DD5.1 sound card

This consumes ~150W under full load. How do I know this? I have measured this with a watt meter. Not made up by that stupid Exxtreme PSU calculator, not guessed from crap spouted by l33t k1dz on forums. Measured.

No, I'm not bashing you at all, just telling you how it actually is.

Zelda_fan
06-02-06, 02:01 AM
Really?

My rig:

Gigabyte K8N-SLI mobo
AMD A64 X2 3800+
4 x 512MB RAM
NVIDIA 7900GT
Raptor 150GB
Samsung 160GB
DD5.1 sound card

This consumes ~150W under full load. How do I know this? I have measured this with a watt meter. Not made up by that stupid Exxtreme PSU calculator, not guessed from crap spouted by l33t k1dz on forums. Measured.

No, I'm not bashing you at all, just telling you how it actually is.

you know you're absolutly right. Most high end PSUs are retarted. BUT a couple factors your are forgetting.

A lot of PSU makers WAY overratte their PSUs. As a PSU heats up, the efficency goes down, thus lowering the actual wattage outputted. So a 400W PSU might only output 300W under a full load in a poorly circulated case.

And what you thought was "full load" may not have actually been full load. I saw a hardware review site use a watt meter to measure the system load (the system had similar specs to yours) and it clocked in around 280-300.

Now suppose by some fluke, the wattage shoots up to 350 or 400. If your PSU can't handle it, then you run the risk of blowing your entire rig because you wanted to save $50 on a PSU.

So becasue of that, I'd play it on the safe side and get a quality 500W PSU. 600W if I was going SLi.

nutball
06-02-06, 02:38 AM
A lot of PSU makers WAY overratte their PSUs. As a PSU heats up, the efficency goes down, thus lowering the actual wattage outputted. So a 400W PSU might only output 300W under a full load in a poorly circulated case.

That's why it's more important to buy a high quality PSU than a high wattage PSU. Yet this message seems to get lost amongst Those Who Must Have The Biggest Number.

And what you thought was "full load" may not have actually been full load.

2 x Prime 95 (one instance attached to each core) plus 2 x RTHDRIBL (likewise affinitised). Plus all other possible combinations of the above (we don't want Prime95 slowing down RTHDRIBL now, do we?). Can you tell me what else I might need to do to increase my power consumption by a factor of three?

I saw a hardware review site use a watt meter to measure the system load (the system had similar specs to yours) and it clocked in around 280-300.

Link?

Now suppose by some fluke, the wattage shoots up to 350 or 400.

What "fluke"? Some alien spacecraft going into warp nearby? I can think of one plausible reason which might cause this: a short-circuit, eg. due to me spilling a pint of beer inside my PC.

If your PSU can't handle it, then you run the risk of blowing your entire rig because you wanted to save $50 on a PSU.

That's fair enough (if you can come up with a reason for the fluke)!

So becasue of that, I'd play it on the safe side and get a quality 500W PSU. 600W if I was going SLi.

The OP has a GeForce 6200, PCI 128MB DDR which was an upgrade. SLI where? 600W where?

Please. Anyone buying a card like that is clearly on a budget. Advising buying a $150 PSU which they'll never even get within 20% of full load really isn't ethical. If the PSU is the problem the much better advice is to invest in a good-quality ~300W PSU.

A Seasonic S12 330W should be about $40 I guess (they're ~30 over here), or FSP (who OEM for a lot of the "manufacturers" with Z's in their names by the way).

It may even be that the model of PSU the OP has is up to the job, but the particular unit is old, faulty or whatever!

SLippe
06-02-06, 06:56 AM
I agree with the whole 250w psu. Wow. I'd get a new one for sure and I wouldn't buy one under 350w. One thing to remember with psu, usually the heavier, the better. And of course, like with most computer parts, you get what you pay for. You should be able to get a new one easily under a $100. If you're in the States, check out your local Best Buy or CompUSA or maybe any smaller "ma and pop" computer store, just becareful there. Good luck.

ringfort
06-03-06, 09:58 AM
Hi guys I bought and installed a new PSU 450W the computer nolonger shuts down but AH2 is still hanging. I installed drivers 84.21 as sugested and sound drivers these seem to be working very well:) The temperature of the card before instalation of the new PSU was 41c it is now around 37c I dont know if that is helpful or not!

I want to sincerely thank you all for the help you have given me at least now my head is not melting I have a better understading of how some of this stuff works (it was all a mystery to me)

Thanks to slippe nutball john19055 salamander who correctly spotted im on a tight budget jcniest5 and last but not least zelda fan. come and play AH2 sometime I can garuentee your saftey as I am an animal in a spitfire 16.

Good luck to you all and again many thanks:D see you among the clouds "lets do it to them before they do it to use".

SLippe
06-03-06, 03:23 PM
Glad you got everything working. As for the cooling down of your card, maybe the fan was finally able to pull enough juice to run like it is supposed to (full speed). See ya around! Don't be a stranger to NVNews.net.

ViN86
06-03-06, 07:53 PM
Hi guys I bought and installed a new PSU 450W the computer nolonger shuts down but AH2 is still hanging. I installed drivers 84.21 as sugested and sound drivers these seem to be working very well:) The temperature of the card before instalation of the new PSU was 41c it is now around 37c I dont know if that is helpful or not!

I want to sincerely thank you all for the help you have given me at least now my head is not melting I have a better understading of how some of this stuff works (it was all a mystery to me)

Thanks to slippe nutball john19055 salamander who correctly spotted im on a tight budget jcniest5 and last but not least zelda fan. come and play AH2 sometime I can garuentee your saftey as I am an animal in a spitfire 16.

Good luck to you all and again many thanks:D see you among the clouds "lets do it to them before they do it to use".
excellent. glad to hear it was fixed. btw, 250W was definitely way too low ;)

tranle
06-03-06, 08:17 PM
If you have random crashes, one things that you need to rule out is a bad memory stick. You can go to www.memtest.org download their bootable floppy (or cd) test. If you can go through 2 pass clean then your memory are ok.

ringfort
06-05-06, 02:05 PM
does anyone know the correct working temperature for the GeForce 6200? During game play it is running at 44, 45c is this ok? cheers ringfort it cools to 38c after a few minuets after game play.

JasonAndreychuk
06-29-06, 06:31 PM
I beg to differ on this situation. There is a problem in some of the driver sets where on the PCI Version of the Geforce 6200 the video freezes. I run a 250 watt power supply in my Dell B110 and run a TV Tuner at the same time and this card works perfectly with the 84.21 drivers with the exception of artifacting from time to time being noticed on the desktop. If I upgrade to the 91.xx drivers then when I try to play a DVD movie or watch TV, the same thing happens again. 100% CPU usage. Machine locks up. No BSOD, but I have to power off my machine the hard way by holding down the power button till it shuts off.

tacos4me
06-29-06, 06:41 PM
does anyone know the correct working temperature for the GeForce 6200? During game play it is running at 44, 45c is this ok? cheers ringfort it cools to 38c after a few minuets after game play.

Thoes are perfectly fine. You don't need to worry about it. :)