PDA

View Full Version : Help REALLY REALLY appreciated

blunthawk
06-01-06, 07:05 PM
Im setting up a computer I used to use for a few simple commands downstairs. Im not an expert at computers and I never have taken one apart but I think im close to doing it.

I put the harddisk back in and the ribbon cables are 20 pins for the CDROM and the HardDisk, there is primary and secondary slots there and one above it for the floppy.

Well the hard disk would never shake or spin inside of it when I put it into the primary/secondary 20 pin slots. It turns on when I wedge it into the 17 pin slot but the screen tells me to put in the system disk and press enter.

help>

to add to this one of the pieces of the mother board is metal, and I took metal from the engine thing and put it to the mother board metal and it turned off. It still turns on but I dont know if I fried the motherboard and shouldnt even bother.

supra
06-01-06, 07:27 PM
judging from your description I dont think you should be touching the inside of a computer ;)

einstein_314
06-01-06, 07:50 PM
well, first off, ribbon cables for hard drives and optical drives are 40 pin...so I don't know where you got the 20 pins from...unless you only counted half of them :p.

So what you're saying is that the hard drive is not even spinning up when you plug it in and turn on the computer? Try just plugging in the molex power connector (it has 4 pins). Leave the ribbon cable unplugged. And turn on the computer. The hard drive should start spinning. If it does, turn off the computer and plug in the ribbon cable again. If you only have one hard drive on the ribbon cable, plug it into the end plug, not the middle one. And plug the other end in the motherboard. (into either the primary or secondary ide connector). The plugs on the ribbon cable should have a tab on one side to ensure you plug the cable in the correct way. Make sure you are doing that right.

Did you really force the plug into the floppy connector?!?! How on earth did you manage that?!? Did you like...alter the plug?

And about this metal on your motherboard. Touching a piece of metal to a motherboard is ummm, stupid. What exactly where you trying to accomplish? You probably shorted something out and it shut itself off to protect it.

And what "engine" are you talking about?!? Last time I checked there aren't any engines in computers...Do you mean CPU?

Oh and how old is this computer? What are its specs?

sillyeagle
06-01-06, 09:35 PM
Make sure the jumper on the back of the drive is set correctly. If the hard drive is the only drive on the ribbon cable, set the jumper to single or master. If you have two drives on the cable, like hard drive and cd-ro, one must be set to master and the other to slave.

As far as the metal to metal, sounds bad. You might need somebody who knows what they are doing to troublshoot and find out if its still useable.

I would get a good basic book on building a PC and familiarize your self with the components, and what you can and can't do inside the case.

nV`andrew
06-01-06, 09:37 PM
judging from your description I dont think you should be touching the inside of a computer ;)

gotta start somewhere :)

ViN86
06-01-06, 10:46 PM
Make sure the jumper on the back of the drive is set correctly. If the hard drive is the only drive on the ribbon cable, set the jumper to single or master. If you have two drives on the cable, like hard drive and cd-ro, one must be set to master and the other to slave.
it sounds like this is the issue at hand. there is a lot of documentation online about jumpers, and its really easy. the jumper should be in the master position if its a master drive (placed on the end of the ribbon cable) and in the slave position if its a slave (placed on the middle of the ribbon cable).

also, there is a notch on the top of the ribbon cable to prevent you from putting the cable on the wrong way. make sure the cable is oriented correct and plugged into the PRIMARY IDE channel on the motherboard.

aww comeon now, we were all new to this game at one point. besides, thats why this forum is here :)

gotta start somewhere :)
so true so true