PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2K4 Engine Freezes?

Kaguya
06-02-06, 01:06 AM
I play Red Orchestra:Ostfront which uses the UT2k4 engine and for some reason in D3D mode the game randomly freezes during the menus and gameplay... sometimes immediately, sometimes after hours of play.

I recently decided to try editing the .ini file to force OpenGL mode instead, and it works fine (except there are a few graphical bugs and the menus are really f'd up).

I'm just wondering if other people have had freezes in this game or other UT2k4 games to see if this is an Engine problem or a problem with RO itself. If others have had problems, post your specs so maybe we can compare. Thanks!

skoprowski
06-02-06, 11:58 AM
It has been my experience that any freezes in UT2004 based engine games are because of system memory issues or video card overclocking. It seems the UT engine is very sensitive to memory settings. I see from your sig you are running 4 sticks of memory- make sure they are running at 2t command rate. Running the 4 sticks at 1t can cause problems. Also, since you have a dual core make sure the latest AMD cpu driver is installed and the Microsoft dual-core hotfix is installed. I have no issues with my system and any UT based game.

Kaguya
06-02-06, 03:22 PM
It has been my experience that any freezes in UT2004 based engine games are because of system memory issues or video card overclocking. It seems the UT engine is very sensitive to memory settings. I see from your sig you are running 4 sticks of memory- make sure they are running at 2t command rate. Running the 4 sticks at 1t can cause problems. Also, since you have a dual core make sure the latest AMD cpu driver is installed and the Microsoft dual-core hotfix is installed. I have no issues with my system and any UT based game.

Thanks for responding! I already have the latest AMD drivers and the Microsoft Dual-Core hotfix. I also stopped overclocking my CPU and Video Cards when I built this system.

I took a look at my memory settings, and I think they're all right but I'll post them here to see if there's anything glaringly wrong with them...The first 5 options are greyed-out (set by the motherboard) but if I change it to Manual from Automatic I can change any of the settings:

DRAM CAS Latency - CL=2.5
RAS Active Time - 8T
RAS Precharge Time - 2T
RAS to CAS Delay - 4T
DRAM Bank Interleaving - Enabled
DRAM Command Rate - 2T
MTRR Mapping Mode - Continuous

Oddly the game works perfectly well in OpenGL mode, but I lose out on a couple DirectX 9 features that I'd like enabled. If the engine wasn't happy with my system, I'd assume OpenGL would crap out as well as Direct X?

skoprowski
06-02-06, 05:41 PM
Hmmm.........take out 2 sticks of memory and see if that helps or run the memory at CAS 3.

grimreefer
06-02-06, 07:24 PM
umm, memtest and dual prime95....see how long u can run each
after that, see if it happens with ur graphics cards at stock
o, and if u dont wanna do memtest, u can also use superpi 32m test to test ur memory

Kaguya
06-03-06, 12:31 AM
Okay, I grew tired of running dual Prime95's and Memtest... nothing showed up that was unusual. However, I might have found something.

I have two 7800GT's in SLI, but they aren't exactly the same model. One is a stock 7800GT and the other is a 7800GT CO SE (for some reason it was on sale a number of months after I built my system and was cheaper than the stock one).

I think there may be an SLI issue... anyone else experienced some troubles with mixed-SLI models?