PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to stop backwards compat. updates - 360

Am_I_Evil
06-02-06, 05:15 AM
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6495
News - Xbox 360 backwards compatibility updates to stop?
Posted by Ron Kimberly at 08:35:12 PM EST on 6.1.2006.

Microsoft's Peter Moore participated in a video interview recently in which he revealed that Microsoft may soon discontinue production of backwards compatibility updates for the Xbox 360. Here's a quote directly from Moore:

"Nobody is concerned anymore about backwards compatibility. We under promised and over delivered on that. It's a very complicated thing... very complex work. I'm just stunned that we have hundreds of games that are backwards compatible. More are coming, but at some point, you just go, there's enough, let's move on, or people aren't as worried about a game being backwards compatible - and I like to think we've upheld our end of the bargain in making at least two or maybe three hundred games backwards compatible."

So while there is no definite target date at this time, it seems strange that Microsoft would drop backwards compatibility so soon after the console's launch, with so many titles left un-emulated. Do you truly believe Moore's claim that Microsoft has 'under promised and over delivered' with regards to backwards compatibility? Feel free to comment below.

Source: Kikizo

saturnotaku
06-02-06, 05:21 AM
He's right about at least 200 games being backwards compatible. I counted 207, with most of those titles being absolute crap. To be honest, the only games I'd want them to add are all the Dance Dance Revolution titles and Shenmue II.

msxyz
06-02-06, 06:59 AM
I wish there was an option to remove BC and save some HD space. If I'm not mistaken, 4GB out of the 7 unavailable to the user are reserved for BC.

saturnotaku
06-02-06, 10:16 AM
I wish there was an option to remove BC and save some HD space. If I'm not mistaken, 4GB out of the 7 unavailable to the user are reserved for BC.

And only download software for the games on an as-needed basis. I want BC for Halo and Forza. I don't really care about any other games.

Droid6
06-02-06, 11:48 AM
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/06/01/535135.aspx

This was posted yesterday, it seems like there still working on games.

evilchris
06-02-06, 12:36 PM
I never gave **** about this. Just use an Xbox to play Xbox games.

saturnotaku
06-02-06, 01:04 PM
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/06/01/535135.aspx

This was posted yesterday, it seems like there still working on games.

Thanks for the link. Good to know BC isn't dead on the 360.

/crosses fingers for Shenmue II in the next update

Gaco
06-02-06, 01:14 PM
I don't care except perhaps Halo 2..

Better do some good with the resources elsewhere though, I say send them to their first party developers for better games :D

OWA
06-02-06, 01:16 PM
I was surprised at how many of my xbox games weren't compatible with the xbox 360. Also, some of the ones that they did provide backward compatability for, didn't run all that well so the feature ended up not being all that useful (for me). I've held on to a few xbox games hoping they'll be compatible (and run well) at some point so I hope those get done before they call it quits.

Gaco
06-02-06, 01:30 PM
I was surprised at how many of my xbox games weren't compatible with the xbox 360. Also, some of the ones that they did provide backward compatability for, didn't run all that well so the feature ended up not being all that useful (for me). I've held on to a few xbox games hoping they'll be compatible (and run well) at some point so I hope those get done before they call it quits.

Which ones are that?

OWA
06-02-06, 01:57 PM
Which ones are that?
That didn't work or didn't run well or both...oh, or that I'm holding out hope for?

Edit: Here are the ones that I still have that don't work:

ESPN NFL 2K5
ESPN NBA 2K5
Mortal Kombat Deception
Tao Feng
Unreal Champsionship
BloodRayne 2
Doom 3

Outlaw Volleyball works, barely. I can't remember the other ones that had glitches and didn't run well.

I took the Xbox to my parents not too long after getting the Xbox360. Some of the games that didn't work and that were somewhat family friendly I also took to my parents. I can't recall all of the ones but I think NBA Live 2005, Madden 2005, NFSU, Rallisport Challenge 2 (maybe one also), and Burnout 3 were a few that also didn't work. Seems like there were a couple of arcade variety ones with arcade classics that also didn't work. I think I had 3 of them and I only kept one (Namcomuseum).

The ones that I played the most are BloodRayne 2, Doom 3 and Outlaw Volleyball (well, Halo 1 & 2 but those work) so I'm still holding out hope for those three.

brady
06-02-06, 02:58 PM
I wanted BC so my wife could play sims 2 on the 360 but I've given up hope. I honestly don't care about it anymore.

Mr. Hunt
06-02-06, 08:36 PM
Yeah... Red Dead Revolver is supposedly backwards compatability if I remember right... it ran... but wow there was a TON of graphical glitches.

toxikneedle
06-02-06, 09:15 PM
I guess I won't get to play The Warriors after all :(

PeterJensen
06-03-06, 01:32 AM
Well i just want to play XBL Arade games.

Gaco
06-03-06, 07:49 AM
That didn't work or didn't run well or both...oh, or that I'm holding out hope for?

Edit: Here are the ones that I still have that don't work:

ESPN NFL 2K5
ESPN NBA 2K5
Mortal Kombat Deception
Tao Feng
Unreal Champsionship
BloodRayne 2
Doom 3

The sports titles are available in newer versions that also supports XBL, DoA4 er better than Mortal Kombat Deception and Tao Feng IMO and Doom3 is sooo last year :D

I can see that you may wanna play Unreal Championship and I have no acquaintance with BloodRayne 2.

I can see that it somehow sux, but it's not that bad is it? :)

OWA
06-03-06, 10:00 AM
The sports titles are available in newer versions that also supports XBL, DoA4 er better than Mortal Kombat Deception and Tao Feng IMO and Doom3 is sooo last year :D

I can see that you may wanna play Unreal Championship and I have no acquaintance with BloodRayne 2.

I can see that it somehow sux, but it's not that bad is it? :)
No, it's really not that big a deal. It was just a little disappointing at first mainly b/c part of the reason I justified going with the Xbox360 was that I'd still have access to all my xbox games. So, it was a little surprising that so many didn't work. But, after playing some of the newer Xbox360 titles, it's hard to go back to the regular xbox games anyway.

evilchris
06-03-06, 12:38 PM
No, it's really not that big a deal. It was just a little disappointing at first mainly b/c part of the reason I justified going with the Xbox360 was that I'd still have access to all my xbox games. So, it was a little surprising that so many didn't work. But, after playing some of the newer Xbox360 titles, it's hard to go back to the regular xbox games anyway.

I don't understand, are you saying that when you bought the 360, you had to throw away your original Xbox?

OWA
06-03-06, 01:30 PM
I don't understand, are you saying that when you bought the 360, you had to throw away your original Xbox?
The cabinet I have doesn't really have enough room for two with the other stuff I already have in there. So, I hoped the Xbox360 would replace the xbox. I ended up just taking the regular Xbox to my parents house. I'm not sure what I'll do when the PS3 is released. I may just see which one I like best and keep it. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to weigh how much I want to keep both versus getting another TV stand/cabinet.