PDA

View Full Version : Dat Recovery

|MaguS|
06-02-06, 10:17 AM
Anyone know where I could send/take my drive to get some data recovered? I have a large storage drive that seems to have failed. My PC will not boot into windows with it plugged in though I was able to do a CHKDSK in DOS.

Im looking for a place that would recover the data for a decent price, if theres a free alternative then thats good too. There is alot of information I do not wish to lose on the drive...

Any help would be appreciated.

mullet
06-02-06, 10:42 AM
have you tryed slaving it to another pc and recovering the data that way?

kwynjunk
06-02-06, 10:44 AM

You beat me to the punch. Do what he said.

|MaguS|
06-02-06, 10:47 AM

It was already slaved to begin with, its a storage drive. But yeah, I tried it on my media PC and it gets the same issue, no boot while installed.

mullet
06-02-06, 10:52 AM
It was already slaved to begin with, its a storage drive. But yeah, I tried it on my media PC and it gets the same issue, no boot while installed.

sorry some how I thought it was a external drive, The places my former work used was like $1,200 :( . IDE or SATA?
you could try this. http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

|MaguS|
06-02-06, 11:19 AM
IDE

Ever use this program? Would like some feedback prior to spending $90 to test it out...

Anyone know where I could get a CD Image of a boot disk that would allow me to read and write NTFS filesystem in DOS? I can access the folders in the drive through windows repair but it wont allow me to copy anything...

einstein_314
06-02-06, 12:04 PM
IDE

Ever use this program? Would like some feedback prior to spending $90 to test it out...

Anyone know where I could get a CD Image of a boot disk that would allow me to read and write NTFS filesystem in DOS? I can access the folders in the drive through windows repair but it wont allow me to copy anything...
Here you go...

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Appears to be a NTFS reader for DOS. There is a link on that page to the bootable CD image. And it says you can copy things so I think it should work :thumbsup:

doddsy
06-02-06, 12:13 PM
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

this did a stunning job of recovering my pics from a formatted drive

not sure if its good for anything else.

EDIT check out http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk at the same site.........

|MaguS|
06-02-06, 12:13 PM
Here you go...

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Appears to be a NTFS reader for DOS. There is a link on that page to the bootable CD image. And it says you can copy things so I think it should work :thumbsup:

I saw that but the boot-dsk.iso is empty... just has acouple pdfs and some txt files... no actual boot files.

EDIT: Looking into the Ultimate Boot Disc... this might do it.

I find it really weird that I can access the disc through DOS and even comes up clean and fine through CHKDSK... wonder why windows doesn't like it.

|MaguS|
06-03-06, 09:36 AM
Well Ultimate Boot Disc didn't help at all... Best Buy has data back up service for $89 but they can only backup up to 4GBs... I need 80GB.

mullet
06-03-06, 09:43 AM
why cant they ghost it to a sata drive then take it home with you.:D

|MaguS|
06-03-06, 09:55 AM
why cant they ghost it to a sata drive then take it home with you.:D

Im gonna call them and ask that. I will even buy the HD there if they will do it... since well I need to replace this one.

mullet
06-03-06, 10:00 AM
cool, good luck. BTW what part of FL?

|MaguS|
06-03-06, 10:01 AM
Orlando

mullet
06-03-06, 10:09 AM
ahhh cool, I spent my whole life in Pensacola beach, after having to replace/fix my roof 3 times in 1.6 years due to hurricanes I finally gave up and moved to VA. I think this year is gonna be a bad one.

|MaguS|
06-03-06, 10:13 AM
ahhh cool, I spent my whole life in Pensacola beach, after having to replace/fix my roof 3 times in 1.6 years due to hurricanes I finally gave up and moved to VA. I think this year is gonna be a bad one.

So I have heard. I've been living in FL since 1989 and have been through some horrible Hurricanes so I am use to it. I personally hate this state though, Its boring and there are alot of total idiots in Orlando...

|MaguS|
06-03-06, 11:31 AM
Ok, This is dam weird. I finally got the chance to test it out in my roommates PC and it works perfectly. Boots into windows without a problem and I can access the drive flawlessly.

So theres something up with my PC. Is there a limit to how many partitions windows can detect?

mullet
06-03-06, 03:12 PM
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Uninstalling Nvidia IDE drivers and installing Windows IDE Drivers fixed it!

Tygerwoody had this issues with a Nforce IDE driver his pc would lock up with the IDE HD attatched. he removed the Nforce IDE driver and it works now.

|MaguS|
06-04-06, 12:59 PM
Tygerwoody had this issues with a Nforce IDE driver his pc would lock up with the IDE HD attatched. he removed the Nforce IDE driver and it works now.

Yup, That was the issue... Weird that I never got this problem up until now. What bothers me is that with the MS drivers I have 9 IDE Controllers listed. Don't know if thats normal or now... I know I don't have 9 drives.... only 7.

mullet
06-04-06, 01:47 PM
awsome man, glad it works now.:D