PDA

View Full Version : New Gears of War screen captures

msxyz
06-03-06, 04:47 AM
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv05-2006-gamefront/01737.html

enjoy...

Redeemed
06-03-06, 05:01 AM
Wow. Those are some impressive graphics. I probably wont buy this game though, I'm not much for the 3rd person shooters. I prefer to be seeing things as the character you are playing sees it.

But, if the game gets good enough reviews, I might try it. If they ever release a demo, I'll be mre than likely to try that first.

Looks beautiful though. Hope this is what we'll be getting with most DX10 games (graphicaly).

kev13dd
06-03-06, 05:48 AM
My biggest and only complaint about the game remains the same- too much blood. Your character can lose about his entire bodily volume of blood just getting shot in the foot a few times, and he keeps going. Overkill. Beautifully done overkill

K

PeterJensen
06-03-06, 06:42 AM
My biggest and only complaint about the game remains the same- too much blood. Your character can lose about his entire bodily volume of blood just getting shot in the foot a few times, and he keeps going. Overkill. Beautifully done overkill

K

There cant be to much blood :p

Buenamos
06-03-06, 09:47 AM

K

You do obviously know that this isn't based on real-world events fundamentals, right? I mean there are monsters running around...;)

Actually, this is just in the future...nevermind then. haha

ralinn
06-03-06, 10:18 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of OTT blood! Just look at Kill Bill :D class

aAv7
06-03-06, 03:02 PM
Wow. Those are some impressive graphics. I probably wont buy this game though, I'm not much for the 3rd person shooters. I prefer to be seeing things as the character you are playing sees it.

But, if the game gets good enough reviews, I might try it. If they ever release a demo, I'll be mre than likely to try that first.

Looks beautiful though. Hope this is what we'll be getting with most DX10 games (graphicaly).

This is actually dx9.0c/sm3.0 at it's finest. Epic hasn't added any dx10 effects to the engine yet, but it is possible further down the line.

EDIT: And i'm not all to sure about 360's capabilities and dx10. From what I understand 360 only supports a limited amount of dx10 instructions, i'm assuming microsoft could change this with a xbox live update.

Zelda_fan
06-03-06, 03:05 PM
graphics in this game are just amazing

Nv40
06-03-06, 06:17 PM
graphics in this game are just amazing

Perhaps its me ,but Unrealt2k7 looks alot better to me. :)
All that i have seen from Gears of wars recently looks washout , like if the graphics where tunned down somewhat to fix the performance issues people have noticed in their playable videos. i remember been more impressed more than a year ago with their PC screenshots in the geforce 6800 launch. perhaps its the compression in the videos ?

kev13dd
06-03-06, 06:30 PM
Perhaps its me ,but Unrealt2k7 looks alot better to me. :)
All that i have seen from Gears of wars recently looks washout ,like if they are in the lowering graphics phase making the game more smooth and playable in the xbox360. i remember been more impressed more than a year ago with their PC screenshots in the geforce 6800 launch. perhaps its the compression in the videos ?
Ummmmmmmmmmm

Those are PICTURES taken from a CAMERA of a screen playing the game. I'm pretty sure you're not ganna be getting 100% clear and non washedout photos with a crappy picture like that

K

P.s. From what I've seen of UT2007 videos, Gears of War actually looks a litle nicer. More attention to detail. The environments I've seen of UT2007 was kinda bland. Everything there was beautiful, it just felt like it wasn't as close to completion as GoW

Nv40
06-03-06, 06:41 PM
yeah its hard to tell from those pictures.. but their E3 trailers looks also tunned down in graphics. Its quite possible that they have tweaked the graphics somewhat for better performance. it already happen with Oblivion for example where their developers changed the lighting completely in their last year of development for a cheapier one ,by coincidence just about the time they announced that the game will be released for next gen consoles too. this happen in many games , so i wouldnt be surprised that it happened to GOW too.

msxyz
06-03-06, 07:31 PM
I've seen several released PC screenshots of Ut2k7 (according to Epic, the PC version will benefits from higher resolution textures thanks to the larger memory available on PCs) and I agree with those who say that's a little more bland.

Nothing wrong with that. The engine is the same, but UT2k7 should be geared towards multiplayer which poses different technical challenges than a single player game like GoW. They will both be awesome games from a technical perspective.

Let's see if Epic can finally surpass UT '99 with the gameplay, too. I have my doubts, though. :p

aAv7
06-03-06, 07:36 PM
I agree that GOW looks to have more detail than UT2K7, UT2K7 never looked all that great to me, I remember commenting about low res rocks and ground and vehicles and everyone screamed at me, now people are starting to see....

Again, this is dx9 at it's best, so it's quite understandable why we arent as "wowed" by these shots like we were a few years ago,what with crysis screens and all. :D

Nv40
06-03-06, 08:22 PM
just for comparisons here is UT2k7.. a nice old screenshot.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18539&stc=1&d=1149380210

another released a year later
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18540&stc=1&d=1149380407

Its hard to compare with crappy compressed videos ,Gow is without a doubt one of the best looking games ,but using their official still screenshots Ut2k7 looks many times somewhat a lot more detailed than GOW. and old and newer screenshots looks about the same in quality. ANy other see the same ?

and if i remember well ,TSweeney in an interview told that the PC version is the same that will be seen quality wise in the PS3 version ,no diferences ,and even in a early build without final hardware it was running at very solid fps.

one of the latest ,doesnt this look pretty. :)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18541&stc=1&d=1149392263

I think the only reason for Epic giving all the bells and whistles to GOW and a lot more advertising than UT2k7 is because of the lots of money Microsoft is paying them for their exclusive , but graphics wise it doesnt look that Ut2k7 is missing something.

In a side note ,is sad that unreal tournaments dont support single player ,because with the graphics of ut2k7 and the gameplay of Unreal1 it will easily kill halo3 if they wanted.

slick
06-03-06, 10:02 PM
UT would never be a Halo killer, ever. Even if it had better graphics and U1 gameplay, it wouldn't touch Halo 3 in sales or popularity. The Halo franchise is an unstoppable tank in the videogame world. Halo came around in the right place at the right time, and has gathered the largest fanbase in America of any video game ever made, ever, and it's only getting bigger. Halo is to America as Final Fantasy is to Japan. Sure there will be other RPG's and FPS's, some arguably better, but they aren't going to leave so much as a scratch on these games.

As for UT2k7, it looks good, but it's not going to look as good as GoW. Cliffy has already said that they are pushing every last ounce of graphical beauty they can. "If it's running higher than 45fps, we're doing something wrong". Went on to say stuff about how the game is a story, and the combat engine built around it is just a tool to help them tell it, etc etc, graphics help immersion, etc etc. Yeah, in short, UT2k7 (while still looking amazing) isn't going to look as good.

muaddib
06-04-06, 04:07 PM
^ QFT.

BTW, Nv40, watch some scripted GoW pictures (similar to the 3rd you posted here), and see how much better it is than UT07.

Acid Rain
06-04-06, 04:44 PM
^ QFT.

BTW, Nv40, watch some scripted GoW pictures (similar to the 3rd you posted here), and see how much better it is than UT07.
Scripted or non, UE 3.0 is utterly fantastic in every screen I've seen to date. In every game that uses it.

evilchris
06-04-06, 08:41 PM
In a side note ,is sad that unreal tournaments dont support single player ,because with the graphics of ut2k7 and the gameplay of Unreal1 it will easily kill halo3 if they wanted.

lol, yeah, they just don't "want to" kill Halo 3. I'm glad it's so easy NV40...

six_storm
06-05-06, 03:59 PM
I preordered my copy of the collector's edition for $5 at Gamestop a week or two ago. Gears of War is going to be one of the games of the year hands down.

Toss3
06-05-06, 04:05 PM
lol, yeah, they just don't "want to" kill Halo 3. I'm glad it's so easy NV40...
Heh yeah UT killing halo3, riiighhht... :rolleyes:

msxyz
06-07-06, 04:59 PM
Found another pic:

http://xbwproxy.ncode.nl/thumb.php?width=720&height=405&pic=/images/content/40316.jpg

It makes me cry because my PC will never be able to handle the new Unreal engine :cry:

t6_shadow
06-07-06, 05:11 PM
Found another pic:

http://xbwproxy.ncode.nl/thumb.php?width=720&height=405&pic=/images/content/40316.jpg

It makes me cry because my PC will never be able to handle the new Unreal engine :cry:

This is why I bought an 360. Shrug.

Acid Rain
06-07-06, 05:31 PM
In a side note ,is sad that unreal tournaments dont support single player ,because with the graphics of ut2k7 and the gameplay of Unreal1 it will easily kill halo3 if they wanted.*NV40 argument mode=engaged* Oh, I know! Halo 3 doesn't stand a chance!!!!!!!

Halo 3-left, UT 2007-middle, Gears of War-right. Microborx suX!

Hex
06-07-06, 06:06 PM
I think people are putting a bit too much faith in Halo 3.
Console FPS is now a proven market (yes thanks to Halo in many ways) but there are some amazing engines out there.
My favorite is this one "Heh yeah UT killing halo3, riiighhht... "
Doesnt matter, it will sell a crap load no matter what, but I do not think it will have the same feel that keeps the first Halo still a favorite of many.