PDA

View Full Version : Should Morrowind Be Able to Slow this PC down?

kwynjunk
06-03-06, 08:26 AM
I just built this PC. See specs below. (See my current setup)

Sometimes in Morrowind, I can get slowdowns to 40 FPS. (I know it's not that bad, but this is a much older game)

I do have some mods that put more actors in the game. I have all options maxed at 1280x960. View distance Full and 4x AA.

I know those are high settings, but look at the specs of my PC.

Most of the time outdoors it's around 60s/70s
Indoors is 100's.

However in cities where there are lots of people it goes into the 40's. SHouldn't my PC be able to do better.

(remember this is Morrowind not Oblivion)

Medion
06-03-06, 09:32 AM
Morrowind has always been a dog on any system. I'm no expert, but it just seemd sloppy. The fact that modders were able to make better looking models with fewer polygons just shows how bad their character design team is. As beautiful as the environments are, the player models are horrid in both geometry and texturing.

Rytr
06-03-06, 10:30 AM
By slowdowns I guess you are talking about FPS speeds and not actual video slowdown or stuttering.
MW will tax most any system in the towns. With the 8500 (with pre-CAT drivers) and a socket A board I would see FPS dip into the teens and would experience slowdowns especially in the towns. After the 9500Pro I did not experience this anymore and minimum FPS usually was over 20 FPS. From then on with 5900U, 9800Pro, 5950U etc. I did not pay any attention to FPS because the game played well. Enabling shadows was a problem and I guess they still are. The modified engine was not the best but the game set several new standards for video games.

kwynjunk
06-03-06, 11:05 AM
By slowdowns I guess you are talking about FPS speeds and not actual video slowdown or stuttering.
MW will tax most any system in the towns. With the 8500 (with pre-CAT drivers) and a socket A board I would see FPS dip into the teens and would experience slowdowns especially in the towns. After the 9500Pro I did not experience this anymore and minimum FPS usually was over 20 FPS. From then on with 5900U, 9800Pro, 5950U etc. I did not pay any attention to FPS because the game played well. Enabling shadows was a problem and I guess they still are. The modified engine was not the best but the game set several new standards for video games.

You're right I was talking about FPS. I do see stuttering (only when the games loads a new area) even with my Raptor/2 gig Ram. I guess that's cause it's streaming from the HD and there really isn't much you can do when it loads a new area.

My FPS are maybe 1-2 lower with shadows fully enabled, but I turned them off because in Morrowind you can sometimes see shadows of people on walls when they're on the other side of the wall (in towns). That is a big pet peeve for me, so I don't even think about shadows when I turn them off.

Anyways. Thanks for the feedback. I just figured that since the game was so old, my PC would slice through it. But for the most part it does. If I didn't have FRAPS running I would never even notice.

Ever since I built this new machine I've been somewhat of a FPS/3DMark junkie.

Tho Jo Smale
06-03-06, 01:31 PM
Try using the Morrowind FPS optimizer....it really improves the game and has many useful features. You can also use it to make the view distance further....alot further.

http://tes.vasya.stepanets.info/tweaker/download.html

Goodluck

kwynjunk
06-03-06, 01:55 PM
Try using the Morrowind FPS optimizer....it really improves the game and has many useful features. You can also use it to make the view distance further....alot further.

http://tes.vasya.stepanets.info/tweaker/download.html

Goodluck

Can you recommend settings? I'm not sure I understand what they mean. The instructions aren't that clear.

Tho Jo Smale
06-03-06, 02:55 PM
There are many settings...I use the autoviewdistance and set 20 as min and 25 as max. then I set the maxviewdistance to twice what it says default is...makes the game look better and you can see further.

Also...please note: SLi makes no difference with this game.

JC

Dazz
06-03-06, 03:41 PM
Morrowind is all CPU really.

SH64
06-03-06, 04:22 PM
Yep ^ most likely CPU limitations .. YES EVEN FOR A FX-60 (& remember it dosent take advantage of dual-core processors).