PDA

View Full Version : The Future Of Tenebrae

StealthHawk
02-04-03, 06:01 AM
- Tenebrae 2.0
This will be a "next generation" version of Tenebrae. It will play Quake 3 Arena maps exclusively, no Quake I support anymore and it is a completely stand-alone application.
Features (these are already partially done)

Quake 3 bsp file support. (may not be compatible with existing q3 maps)
Shaders
Curves
3D Audio (using OpenAL)
Scriptable menus (using xml)
Planned features
Prefab support (ASE file format)
Skeletal animation
Physics (using ODE)
On the hardware side we will support all the current supported cards, and plan to use nVidia's CG to do vertex-pixel programs.
All this will come with a new TestMap from Willi, totally remade from scratch with all new textures. Further planed is to add at leased one default weapon for the first release of Tenebrae 2.

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php

of course no word on a release, but it does sound interesting nonetheless. seems like this will be a totally new engine, or perhaps one very loosely based on Quake source. i can't wait to see it :D

Kruno
02-04-03, 06:10 AM
plan to use nVidia's CG to do vertex-pixel programs.

Ati will not be able to use shaders then unless he plans on using CG in a magical way or he is going to do it in assembly for Ati.

nin_fragile14
02-04-03, 10:21 AM
I think the first Tenebrae took two years. Who knows how long this will take...

Smokey
02-04-03, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Ati will not be able to use shaders then unless he plans on using CG in a magical way or he is going to do it in assembly for Ati.

As cg is open source, it doesnt mean that they will be using NV only vertex shaders? Doesnt open source mean that anyone can write shaders to use in cg?

Kruno
02-04-03, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
As cg is open source, it doesnt mean that they will be using NV only vertex shaders? Doesnt open source mean that anyone can write shaders to use in cg?

Sure, but what are the cances that Ati will write profiles for their hardware? Unless someone else is willing to take up the cup for Ati. :p

DaveW
02-06-03, 05:27 PM
3D Audio (using OpenAL)

so it will sound crap on anything but an audigy.

Chalnoth
02-07-03, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Cg fully supports the ARB_fragment_program extension, so that any user with a Radeon 9500/9700 should be able to run it just fine. The 8500 series is another story.

Oh, yeah, and Cg also supports the ARB_vertex_program extension. This had better be supported by every piece of hardware with vertex program support, as this is JC's only path for DOOM3.

Kruno
02-07-03, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Cg fully supports the ARB_fragment_program extension, so that any user with a Radeon 9500/9700 should be able to run it just fine. The 8500 series is another story.

Oh, yeah, and Cg also supports the ARB_fragment_program extension. This had better be supported by every piece of hardware with vertex program support, as this is JC's only path for DOOM3.

Ahh, thanks.
Good work Chalnoth. :)
BTW I am transfering to your university. ;)

Nutty
02-07-03, 04:59 PM
Oh, yeah, and Cg also supports the ARB_fragment_program extension. This had better be supported by every piece of hardware with vertex program support, as this is JC's only path for DOOM3.

eh? There are loads of render paths in doom3 that _dont_ use ARB_fragment_program.

Chalnoth
02-07-03, 05:32 PM
Sorry, typo, fixed.

Meant to say ARB_vertex_program.

Unique_user_id
02-07-03, 11:22 PM
if quake1 looks that seksy with tenebrae
how seksy will tenebrae 2.0 look?

Smokey
02-08-03, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Unique_user_id
if quake1 looks that seksy with tenebrae
how seksy will tenebrae 2.0 look?

Im thinking, damn sexy, so sexy in fact that I will go and buy another copy of Q3, as I gave my copy to someone that never gave it back the bastard :p Ive still got the manual, but not the cd key:rolleyes: so I cant even dl.