PDA

View Full Version : FarCry 7900GT SLI probs

Stevedroid
06-03-06, 11:31 PM
So far I haven't been having too much trouble with my SLI'd 7900GTs, but I just tried replaying FarCry (now that I can run HDR) and have hit a brick wall.

When I get into the game and load a level everything runs fine until it's time to load the next level. The progress bar fills the whole way, but when the loading is complete I get a BSOD with "DRIVER IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL" followed by a reboot.

Previous to installing my second 7900GT I had no problems with the game. I haven't tried running the game in non-SLI mode since installed the second card, but I have tried the last three drivers and the problem occured with all of them. Checked my IRQs and both video cards and my sound card have their own IRQs.

Anyone familiar with this problem? Is it a driver issue or is something more worrisome afoot here?

I haven't really had this crash with anything else I've played (though that's not much at the moment: Oblivion, Half-Life 2, and Tomb Raider: Legend). So at least it seems like it's something related to FarCry rather than a genuine hardware issue.

SH64
06-03-06, 11:47 PM
I remember having this issue when loading a new level/map with 2 of my systems (one is X1900 , the other is Go 6800) & yet i couldnt figure what is wrong.
are you running latest patch ? (i think its 1.32 or something ..)

Stevedroid
06-04-06, 12:22 AM
Yup running patch 1.33.

Good (I guess) to know that it must be something with the game and not related to the card or drivers since you had the issue with a X1900 too.

---edit---

I think I figured it out. If I turn HDR off before the next level loads I have no problem. So it must be something with HDR. Though oddly I can't guess why that wasn't a problem when I had a single video card - hmm, actually now that I think about it I might not have been playing with HDR on at that point because I couldnt' run it fast enough.

Anyway it's pretty annoying to have to turn it off and then on for every level but it's better than dealing with a system reboot.

---edit2---

Man this is really wierd. If I set HDR via the shortcut (command line) I can load the next level fine without having to turn HDR off.

OWA
06-04-06, 05:15 PM
Yeah, that's kind of weird. BTW, what drivers are you using?

Stevedroid
06-04-06, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that's kind of weird. BTW, what drivers are you using?
84.43, but as I mentioned in my original post I have this problem with the last coulple releases (91.28 and 84.21 also have the problem). Given that SH64 had this problem with an ATI card it doesn't seem to be a driver problem.

SH64
06-04-06, 06:43 PM
Interesting Steve. yeah i was using HDR when playing on the X1900 too. didnt try without it though.

OWA
06-05-06, 02:03 AM
84.43, but as I mentioned in my original post I have this problem with the last coulple releases (91.28 and 84.21 also have the problem). Given that SH64 had this problem with an ATI card it doesn't seem to be a driver problem.
Okay, I want to give it a shot to see if I see the same thing but I didn't want to bother if you hadn't tried the 91.28s (since I don't want to change drivers).

Stevedroid
06-05-06, 05:33 PM
Okay, I want to give it a shot to see if I see the same thing but I didn't want to bother if you hadn't tried the 91.28s (since I don't want to change drivers).
I should mention that why I ended up using the 84.43s and not that 91.28s, is that the 91.28s did have other, unreleated problems.

Mainly there's a problem with flickering shadows and water at a distance. I think nVidia tweaked their occlusion culling algorithm with the 91.28s and I've been seeing a lot of low level clipping issue in various games - mostly on "thin" things like shadows or decals.