PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot!

MeTaLliC
06-04-06, 02:16 AM
First post, please bare with me.

I have just finished building my new budget PC and I did something very stupid. The case is a Antec Minuet 300, with an Antec Micro ATX PSU. The power supply has two settings, either 110v or 230v. By accident, I left it as 110 (I didnt check it, just assumed it was set correctly) and plugged it in to the wall to start it up. Just as I plugged it in, I saw a spark as well as a pop which came from the PSU and blue smoke. The PSU is now dead and I'm looking for a replacement.

I just have one question. Would the PSU had protected the hardware inside the case? If not, what would be damaged?

Thanks guys

AthlonXP1800
06-04-06, 02:36 AM
OMG That really sad to hear, unfortunately the PSU blew up are more likely not protected your hardware, your motherboard, CPU and cards like videocard, soundcard and modem card could be dead and fried caused by shock after the PSU blew up when plugged in wall socket.

It best to take the rest of your hardware to your friend to test it all out to see if any survived.

Infinity666
06-04-06, 02:37 AM
First post, please bare with me.

I have just finished building my new budget PC and I did something very stupid. The case is a Antec Minuet 300, with an Antec Micro ATX PSU. The power supply has two settings, either 110v or 230v. By accident, I left it as 110 (I didnt check it, just assumed it was set correctly) and plugged it in to the wall to start it up. Just as I plugged it in, I saw a spark as well as a pop which came from the PSU and blue smoke. The PSU is now dead and I'm looking for a replacement.

I just have one question. Would the PSU had protected the hardware inside the case? If not, what would be damaged?

Thanks guys

Why wouldnt you leave it @110??? and your stuff "should" be ok. I would reccomend checking it with a friends psu

Starscream
06-04-06, 03:25 AM
Why wouldnt you leave it @110??? and your stuff "should" be ok. I would reccomend checking it with a friends psu

Based on the wording of his post I think it's safe to say he lives in a country that DOESN'T have 110 volt ac power. So his mistake was leaving it on that setting and not flipping it over to the 220 in his area.

Infinity666
06-04-06, 04:19 AM
Based on the wording of his post I think it's safe to say he lives in a country that DOESN'T have 110 volt ac power. So his mistake was leaving it on that setting and not flipping it over to the 220 in his area.

k thats what I was thinking, just try your stuff with another psu hopefully the psu acted as a fuse and protected the rest of your system

MeTaLliC
06-04-06, 07:58 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was from Australia.

I didnt even turn the system on. The PSU didnt have an ON/OFF switch, so as soon as it was connected to the wall, it got power. As soon as I plugged it in, it blew.

I look over the motherboard and it looks ok, but something like that probably wouldnt leave any physical damage.

I'll be checking it later on in the week once I get a PSU. What should I be looking for once I test it? I'm assuming if it doesnt boot or display anything on the monitor that the motherboard or CPU is stuffed (Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M).

grey_1
06-04-06, 08:57 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was from Australia.

I didnt even turn the system on. The PSU didnt have an ON/OFF switch, so as soon as it was connected to the wall, it got power. As soon as I plugged it in, it blew.

I look over the motherboard and it looks ok, but something like that probably wouldnt leave any physical damage.

I'll be checking it later on in the week once I get a PSU. What should I be looking for once I test it? I'm assuming if it doesnt boot or display anything on the monitor that the motherboard or CPU is stuffed (Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M).

sorry to hear, what a hassle. Once your hooked back up just watch for anything out of the ordinary, corrupted/no video, more smoke(:) j/k). I recently had a psu blow on me and the rest of my components were ok, hopefully yours will be too. Good luck with it!

MUYA
06-04-06, 09:22 AM
I short circuited my PSU when I installed my 6800 ULtra. It was done by forcing two pins on a molex plug to touch each other when i shoved the damned thing into the 6800 U connector...but the PSU went up in smoke causing palipitations...1 hour later with a new PSU, everything worked honk dory! And it's great to be back!

jAkUp
06-04-06, 11:00 AM
His hardware is probably fine. Most good PSU's have a fuse. He probably just blew the fuse. I put a $100 bet on his stuff being completely fine :)

MeTaLliC
06-04-06, 06:02 PM
I've had a PSU blow on me before and the hardware was fine. It was after a lightning storm and a surge of electricity mades its way to my computer, blowing the PSU immediately after switching the computer on. As I said, the hardware was completely fine. This happened two years ago.

I'm hoping its ok. I've asked a few other people and they have said the same thing ("it will be fine hopefully"). You would think a new PSU would have a feature that would protect the hardware inside the case in the event of something like this would happen.

npras42
06-04-06, 06:10 PM
OK, not to put a downer on things but the one time I've had a PSU die on me, my motherboard died too. Not the biggest problem in the end cause the motherboard was replaced for about 30 ($50) and the same for the PSU.

But just warning you that although most people's hardware survives, tha doesn't always happen.

ViN86
06-04-06, 06:22 PM
His hardware is probably fine. Most good PSU's have a fuse. He probably just blew the fuse. I put a $100 bet on his stuff being completely fine :)
yea, i agree. im sure it blew the fuse without any voltage goin to the computer parts at all. i dont bet $100 though, heh.

bkswaney
06-04-06, 11:55 PM

I agree with JakUp on this one.
I'll bet it's just the power supply. I've seen this happen before.

MeTaLliC
06-05-06, 12:00 AM
I agree with JakUp on this one.
I'll bet it's just the power supply. I've seen this happen before.

Thats what i'm hoping. I'll have a spare PSU tomorrow to test it. Fingers crossed.Like I said, I've had a PSU blow before and the hardware was fine. I've just never had this happen before (240v going into a PSU set to 110v).

CaptNKILL
06-05-06, 12:24 AM
Man, you guys have it rough.

I've accidentally had computers set to 230 (i think twice, ever :p)here in the US and it simply doesnt work. I've never personally seen anything take any damage at all from this.

Anywhere that uses 230 though... you better have it set right or that PSU is toast.

MeTaLliC
06-05-06, 06:53 PM
I just got my hand's on a spare PSU and have just tested the hardware. ITS ALL FINE :) WOOHOOO!

Thanks guys :)

|JuiceZ|
06-05-06, 09:02 PM
I just got my hand's on a spare PSU and have just tested the hardware. ITS ALL FINE :) WOOHOOO!

Thanks guys :)

congrats ;)

crainger
06-06-06, 08:59 PM
Don't feel bad dude. I did this once before, though I was set up. We were doing projects in late primary to do with computers, mine was to build a new PC. anyway Mum and Dad decided it best to just buy a new PC and have the shop owner take apart our old one and I would rebuilt it.

I get all the parts home and put it all together, never noticing the shop owner had switched the power supply to 110. Anyway the Power Suplly died in a puff of smoke and I had no idea what happened. (It was my first PC built). Anyway Dad spotted the problem and forced the shop to replace the power supply. The rest of the PC was fine.

I'm thankful that most modern Power Supplies no longer need the voltage selector and automaticaly select the correct one.

Since then I have built many a PC, learning from what I destroy :p