PDA

View Full Version : XFX Vs. EVGA-tell why please

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 03:42 PM
Which brand do you think is better? DO NOT INCLUDE PRICE as a factor.

Why is that one better?

Stevedroid
06-05-06, 05:25 PM
Well the cards are pretty much the same between the two with a couple exceptions. However it is generally acknowlegded that eVGA has better customer service - in fact they're probably the best as far as nVidia card makers go right now. They're very good about communicating with their customers, plus they have that 90 day trade-up program.

Are you asking in reference to a specific model of card, or just in general?

Kaguya
06-05-06, 05:31 PM
You must have posted at the EVGA forums as well since the exact same question was there (with a great response which I'm posting below). I've been happy with my EVGA products (3 in the past 8 months 2 Videocards in SLI and an SLI Motherboard), but just read this guy's response:

Cut from EVGA Forums (http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16052)

1) Lifetime Warrenty
From XFX: “Proper Usage” is defined as normal wear and tear. Should the Product be modified or damaged as the result of overclocking, tampering, alteration, misuse, abuse, power supply, power application, or repair by other than XFX the warranty is VOID. http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showWarranty.jspa?regionId=1&productGenerationId=11979
From eVGA: There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components. We will repair or replace the defective parts free of charge (no refunds). http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/default.asp

You can overclock, add watercooling, add new aircooling... as long as you don't physically damage the card, you are covered by eVGA. You overclock by 1MHz and the XFX warranty is gone. So much for lifetime! This is especially important with the G71 GPUs where 25% core OC and 30% memory OC is common.

2) Step-Up Program: http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
Within 90 days of your purchase, you are allowed to exchange your card once for another model as long as you pay the price difference. I got my 7800GT and two months later... the 7900s came out. I spent $12 on S&H and 1 week without a video card, I got a 30-50% graphical improvement. (FYI, You are not allowed to step-up to specific special edition cards... but there are only 3 of these)

3) Customer Service: 24hr tech support based in CA, not Taiwan, India, or elsewhere. Active message boards... offical eVGA techs and reps patrol the board as well. Customer service that is willing to call YOU to resolve your problems. An eVGA tech once even offered to drop off a replacement card to a local member.

Also, realize that all video card companies recieve ALL their cards from ATI or nVidia. The companies then test, bin, and label these cards. (Gainwards sometimes rebuilds the cards but they are expensive and do not sell in the US.) The only real difference between companies now is just the quality of the chip bin and service/support.

My own personal experience: When I purchased my video card/motherboard combo it was November... just missed the Call of Duty 2 freebie and was before the Quake 4 freebie by a month. When they announced the Quake 4 one I asked eVGA if I could get a game anyway (since technically Tigerdirect still advertised that I was supposed to get CoD2). No biggie really, but they sent me a Quake 4 anyway - and they were very friendly about it.

My friend's experience: He had a 6800 AGP card that broke on him... I think it was a weird powersupply issue or something, but he didn't know. He sent the card to eVGA. They eventually returned a 7800 GS AGP card as replacement free of charge.

Salamandar
06-05-06, 05:33 PM
Both are great, for me support is not a buying factor as I live in an area where support simply sux even if it says life time warranty.

The buying factor for me is availability and overclocking, for me XFX is more available where I live.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 05:38 PM
At the moment many buyers are upset with eVGA. They are not doing a step-up for the 7950 yet, and it's almost officially been 90 days since the 7900 GTX release. Pretty lame for them to delay the step-up, screwing numerous 7900 owners.

SLippe
06-05-06, 06:00 PM
eVGA over XFX as far as Quality and Service.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 06:03 PM
eVGA over XFX as far as Quality and Service.

I think I've had a change of heart, eVGa is taking care of me now :)

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 06:09 PM
You must have posted at the EVGA forums as well since the exact same question was there (with a great response which I'm posting below). I've been happy with my EVGA products (3 in the past 8 months 2 Videocards in SLI and an SLI Motherboard), but just read this guy's response:

Cut from EVGA Forums (http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16052)

My own personal experience: When I purchased my video card/motherboard combo it was November... just missed the Call of Duty 2 freebie and was before the Quake 4 freebie by a month. When they announced the Quake 4 one I asked eVGA if I could get a game anyway (since technically Tigerdirect still advertised that I was supposed to get CoD2). No biggie really, but they sent me a Quake 4 anyway - and they were very friendly about it.

My friend's experience: He had a 6800 AGP card that broke on him... I think it was a weird powersupply issue or something, but he didn't know. He sent the card to eVGA. They eventually returned a 7800 GS AGP card as replacement free of charge.

Yeah, that was me. I am referring to the 7950. I like the OC speeds on this thing vs. the eVGA. Also, I just read a really good review:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/353/

Kaguya
06-05-06, 06:12 PM
I'm tempted, but I really want to wait for the 8xxx cards (whenever they show up). :D

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 06:18 PM
I'm tempted, but I really want to wait for the 8xxx cards (whenever they show up). :D

I pulled the trigger on the eVGA but then I cancelled. But wait..

I pulled the trigger on XFX XXX superclocked one!!!!

I'm RMA'ing the 7900GTX I just got from Newegg.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 06:21 PM

I'd honestly wait for the G80 or any other DX10 based cards. Quad SLI will not be made available to consumers for a while. If your upgrading from a single card, the 7950 is an excellent option so you don't have to go SLI.

Kaguya
06-05-06, 06:58 PM
I'd honestly wait for the G80 or any other DX10 based cards. Quad SLI will not be made available to consumers for a while. If your upgrading from a single card, the 7950 is an excellent option so you don't have to go SLI.

What is nVidia's current schedule like? Should G80 be out before winter?

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 07:17 PM
What is nVidia's current schedule like? Should G80 be out before winter?

That's currently unknown, what is known is that 7950 GX2 will be the last DX9 card. It's much wiser to just wait it out and get a DX10 card so you can truly maximize Windows Vista performance, and by that time Quad SLI could possibly (still very doubtful) be on a DIY level.

OWA
06-05-06, 08:29 PM

Where did you order the XFX XXX one? It looked really impressive in the previews almost matching the 7900 GTX SLI systems.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it listed at buy.com.

Kaguya
06-05-06, 09:13 PM
I guess once I see what people can get out of these it might be more tempting. I don't really want Quad SLI, but I'd like to get a 512MB card, and swapping out these two for a single seems interesting...

Anyone know if you can still disable SLI on the 7950? I have one game that doesn't play nice with SLI on.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 09:14 PM
I guess once I see what people can get out of these it might be more tempting. I don't really want Quad SLI, but I'd like to get a 512MB card, and swapping out these two for a single seems interesting...

Anyone know if you can still disable SLI on the 7950? I have one game that doesn't play nice with SLI on.

Yes you can turn SLI on and off through the forceware menu.

OWA
06-05-06, 09:14 PM
Yeah, you can. They allow that so you can use two monitors.

Edit: Heh, beat to the punch. :)

bugmage
06-05-06, 09:44 PM
in my puny experience xfx has ran hot but overclocked better than my evga products

Blacklash
06-06-06, 08:47 AM
Evga for reasons already mentioned and again step-up. If they release some super 7950 or even a better card in the next 90 days you will be able to trade in for credit.

Tygerwoody
06-06-06, 08:54 AM
too bad I can't use the EVGA "step up" for my card to a 7950.... EVGA is still my favorite brand of cards, but this is pretty gimmicky that they wont release their 7950 in the stepup program

Kaguya
06-06-06, 10:04 AM
too bad I can't use the EVGA "step up" for my card to a 7950.... EVGA is still my favorite brand of cards, but this is pretty gimmicky that they wont release their 7950 in the stepup program

Not that I know why or what, but maybe it has to do with numbers? I'm just brainstorming and have no evidence or knowledge, but since the 7950 is actually two cards slapped together, we can assume they are only able to make half as many at a time. Add to that the fact that it's probably a specialty card with lower production numbers anyway, and the fact that two 7900 GTXs still perform better, having everyone and their dog "Step Up" to the 7950 might leave eVGA with far too few cards to make a good run at retail.

But who knows :D

acroig
06-06-06, 11:00 AM

No longer true:

"EVGA has now made available the e-GeForce 7950 GX2 cards available for step-upô.

Please visit http://www.evga.com/stepup/ and submit for a step-up request. All request will be submitted to the queue and will be released on a first come first serve basis.

Thank you,
Joe Darwin"

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16085

Tygerwoody
06-06-06, 12:33 PM
puts foot in mouth :D