PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a new 7950, Will I need to reinstall Drivers or do anything..

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:08 PM
Can't I just plug this in and go?

I have the latest (official) drivers installed. Will i have to clean and reinstall them if I'm putting in the 7950. MY current card is the 7900gtx

jAkUp
06-05-06, 07:12 PM
Uninstall, then reinstall the latest drivers

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:13 PM
Uninstall, then reinstall the latest drivers

I was hoping that I could just plug and play, but cool.

Do I need to use driver cleaner, or is an unistall/reinstall enough?

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 07:13 PM
Can't I just plug this in and go?

I have the latest (official) drivers installed. Will i have to clean and reinstall them if I'm putting in the 7950. MY current card is the 7900gtx

It'll probably work fine, but be safe and reinstall them after uninstalling them. Besides, the official new forceware drivers will be available shortly which were made specifically for the 7950 support.

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:17 PM
Also, new Beta Drivers came out today that say they added support for the 7950. Should I use those or the latest Official ones.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 07:20 PM
Also, new Beta Drivers came out today that say they added support for the 7950. Should I use those or the latest Official ones.

The current Forceware 82.21's don't have official support for the 7950. I'm not sure which drivers will ship with the card's cd drivers. Just use the beta 91.31, but by the time you get the card the new official 91.31 drivers should be out.

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:21 PM
The current Forceware 82.21's don't have official support for the 7950. I'm not sure which drivers will ship with the card's cd drivers. Just use the beta 91.31, but by the time you get the card the new official 91.31 drivers should be out.

Card is coming tomorrow!!!!!!(nana2)

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 07:24 PM
Card is coming tomorrow!!!!!!(nana2)

Congrats, just use the beta drivers until the official drivers are released, and that should be soon. I see you have a eVGA 7900 GTX, when did you buy it? If it wasn't too long ago, you can trade it in for a 7950 as a free swap, just pay the shipping and tax differences. It's much wiser then blowing $5-700 on a new card.

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:25 PM
Congrats, just use the beta drivers until the official drivers are released, and that should be soon.

Cool. Thanks. I will.

Appreciate the tip.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 07:28 PM
How old is your 7900 GTX?

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:47 PM
How old is your 7900 GTX?

about 3 weeks. Newegg is giving me a full refund.

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 07:50 PM
about 3 weeks. Newegg is giving me a full refund.

It's your call, you could wait it out and get a free 7950 from evga thru the step up program, but if your like me you hate waiting :D

kwynjunk
06-05-06, 07:52 PM
It's your call, you could wait it out and get a free 7950 from evga thru the step up program, but if your like me you hate waiting :D

How would it be free? WOuldn't i have to pay the price difference?

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 08:09 PM
How would it be free? WOuldn't i have to pay the price difference?

Sorry not free, It all depends on what version card and how much you paid. I rushed to get my card and paid $750 a pop. Luckily eVGA informed me that I could swap out both cards free and not even pay shipping or tax differences because of the outrageous prices I paid.

lee63
06-05-06, 08:24 PM
Sorry not free, It all depends on what version card and how much you paid. I rushed to get my card and paid $750 a pop. Luckily eVGA informed me that I could swap out both cards free and not even pay shipping or tax differences because of the outrageous prices I paid.So when are you getting your cards ???

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 08:28 PM
So when are you getting your cards ???

Still haven't decided on if I should step-up or not. I think it's safe to say Quad SLI will not be happening with the 7900 series officially. So stick with what I have and pay a crap load later, or trade in both cards for 2 new 7950 GX2's and possibly not be able to use Quad SLI? I'm having a hard time deciding.

lee63
06-05-06, 08:37 PM
Still haven't decided on if I should step-up or not. I think it's safe to say Quad SLI will not be happening with the 7900 series officially. So stick with what I have and pay a crap load later, or trade in both cards for 2 new 7950 GX2's and possibly not be able to use Quad SLI? I'm having a hard time deciding.
I would trade them in in a heartbeat if your still having issues with your SCs :D

shungokusatsu
06-05-06, 08:41 PM
I would trade them in in a heartbeat if your still having issues with your SCs :D

Only problem is the 7950 is still the 7900 series lol, Nvidia said the 7950 has slow speeds to help with heat and power consumption. For all we know the 7950's might also run into crazy issues.

Xion X2
06-06-06, 12:29 AM
I think it's safe to say Quad SLI will not be happening with the 7900 series officially.

Just curious. Why do you believe it's "safe to say" that? The card has just been released to the public.

I also think there's a chance this batch of cards will be just fine. The official statement that was released by Nvidia referred to high clocks being the main culprit in the batch of 7900's, and obviously the 7950 has been downclocked significantly from what the GTX was. Also, Nvidia would be kicking themself in the **** if they released two series of cards back to back that had major issues.

Not saying that it won't happen, but I believe it to be highly unlikely, especially considering it's the same GPU architecture.

shungokusatsu
06-06-06, 12:50 AM
Just curious. Why do you believe it's "safe to say" that? The card has just been released to the public.

I also think there's a chance this batch of cards will be just fine. The official statement that was released by Nvidia referred to high clocks being the main culprit in the batch of 7900's, and obviously the 7950 has been downclocked significantly from what the GTX was. Also, Nvidia would be kicking themself in the **** if they released two series of cards back to back that had major issues.

Not saying that it won't happen, but I believe it to be highly unlikely, especially considering it's the same GPU architecture.

Q: Can an end user buy NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 7950 GX2 and build his own Quad SLI system?

A: No. The model for Quad SLI does not change with GeForce 7950 GX2, it is still exclusively available from system builders. This is the first step in bringing Quad SLI technology to the world.

Q: When will consumers be able to build their own Quad SLI systems?

A: NVIDIA will be announcing plans to bring Quad SLI technology to consumers through other channels in the near future. Today Quad SLI is only offered through select system builders.

Q: Why did you launch Quad SLI with NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 7950 GX2 with system builders and not in the DIY channel?

A:The model for Quad SLI does not change with GeForce 7950 GX2; it is still available from system builders. Quad SLI is an extremely high-end solution and as such requires an extremely high-end PC. The high-end system builders have the expertise to put together these types of PCs, which is why we work with them first. This is the first step in bringing Quad SLI technology to the world. We will be announcing plans to bring Quad SLI technology to consumers through other channels in the near future.

I still think it's doubtful it will officially happen with the 7900 series, I believe they'll save it for the G80 and DX10 cards, then around the same time release Quad SLI to the DIY consumers adding support for dual gpu models. They're making it clear why, and they can't screw dell out of it's exclusive Quad SLI XPS system or other Quad SLI select system builders. Who would buy a $8-$13,000 system just for Quad SLI when you can simply buy two 7950's for around $1200ish? The technology is amazing, but I feel it won't be happening too soon.

Xion X2
06-06-06, 01:48 AM
I see nothing from the comments (not sure where you linked that from) indicating that Quad-SLi will never be implemented with the 7900 series--specifically, the 7950 which was just released. I think given that there's plenty of time for that to happen.

Who would buy a $8-$13,000 system just for Quad SLI when you can simply buy two 7950's for around $1200ish?

Aren't you being overdramatic here w/ the "$8-13,000?"

Also, Dell has been screwing people out of their money for years; I don't see that changing any time soon either, and thus, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Quad-SLi was made available to the general public. It seems counter-productive to me if Nvidia were to release this technology without the option to use it for its basic intuitive design, which is Quad-SLi.

Dell has always been the option that rich kids without any mechanical aptitude would turn to. Not everyone has the aptitude or cajones to build their own machine from scratch--especially something as complicated as Quad-SLi.

How do I know this? Well, I bought a Dell computer last go-round. I didn't know any better then. :)

From the comments that you quote, it just sounds like to me that the drivers are too immature for it to be stable right now. That can change. It's not like these 4-card setups are a completely new concept; the basic architecture is SLi--a technology Nvidia has been working with for years. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

At least I expect them to. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

haloeighty8
06-08-06, 08:43 PM
Well I was lucky enough to bypass the step up program and just return my 7900gtx SC to the vendor and get a 7950. Personally I'm not sure why but the card doesn't seem quite as fast as the gtx was, I hope I didn't make a mistake here. ah well, it only cost me a 21.00 buck difference.

btw, I would've done the step up program.. but according to the site I would've have to wait weeks.