PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Controller...

Pages : [1] 2

Marvel_us
06-05-06, 09:10 PM
So I get my PSM Mag today and see an article on the PS3's controller. Apparently the L2 and R2 shoulder buttons are now triggers. Was anyone aware of this or am I just late? lol

LiquidX
06-05-06, 09:13 PM
Triggers like the 360 and Dreamcast? That is the first I am hearing of that even though I am aware of the other changes.

Marvel_us
06-05-06, 09:13 PM
They look a slight bit different but yup they are triggers like the 360.

Edit: Wish I had a scanner, you can see it pretty good in the pic they have.

Marvel_us
06-05-06, 09:18 PM
Actually I found a pic online. Look at the L2 and R2 buttons, they are triggers.

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/controller_up_black-20060605211613.jpg (http://s2.supload.com/free/controller_up_black-20060605211613.jpg/view/)

LiquidX
06-05-06, 09:25 PM
I've seen that pic before but never really noticed that change and to be honest I kind of like the triggers on the 360 better than how those buttons were layed out on the PS2 so this is a welcome change.

Bad_Boy
06-05-06, 09:29 PM
yeah, kinda knew this around e3. As for the change, I really dont care, im so used to the ps2 DS2 it didnt bother me not to have triggers. But either way, im not complaining. I know the xbot kids will have one less thing to argue about now.

|MaguS|
06-05-06, 09:30 PM
I think this also solves one major gripe of mine with the PS2, when playing games that use the top buttons pressure sensitivity it was hard to gauge how hard you had/were pressing down. Especially in MGS sometimes you would fire when you ment to ease off the trigger.

Just hoping there not like the original Xbox's over sensitive triggers, man a slight tap sent Halos gernades going...

oldsk00l
06-06-06, 01:23 AM
I think this also solves one major gripe of mine with the PS2, when playing games that use the top buttons pressure sensitivity it was hard to gauge how hard you had/were pressing down. Especially in MGS sometimes you would fire when you ment to ease off the trigger.

Just hoping there not like the original Xbox's over sensitive triggers, man a slight tap sent Halos gernades going...

That's actually one major reason for enjoying Halo/2 so much on 360. Especially when having an unexperienced player do co-op. I'd see this grenade go flying, "WTF???" and try to run away before it goes off...to find out my co-op player threw it because he tapped the shoulder button.

|MaguS|
06-06-06, 01:35 AM
Yeah, It's funny when you accidently stick a plasma gernade to the back of your friends head thanks to the ultra sensitive triggers.

Acid Rain
06-06-06, 04:09 AM
Till they put the sticks in a useable location and design the rest to fit properly in the average man's hand, I'm not biting. I abhore the PS2 style layout. I wonder just who's hands they are designed for, and if that creature is even human.

From an ergonomic engineering standpoint they are embarassing.

H3avyM3tal
06-06-06, 04:41 AM
Thats only if you are not human...
The DS2 were the best controller I held, and they fit like a glove. To every person I know. Never had even 1 second of pain, nor did they ever felt uncomfortable, and I played alot.

From an ergonomic engineering standpoint, they are a jewel.

|MaguS|
06-06-06, 04:57 AM
Till they put the sticks in a useable location and design the rest to fit properly in the average man's hand, I'm not biting. I abhore the PS2 style layout. I wonder just who's hands they are designed for, and if that creature is even human.

Don't know about you but I think the Dual Shock is the most comfortable controller in the last 15+ years. I love the placement of all the buttons, makes access to all parts of the controller very easy and reachable. With the Xbox controller it felt weird when you had to use the DPad aswell as the analogs, probably because I have small hands and I had to stretch my thumb out.

I guess it also depends on how you hold the controller, I don't let it fully rest in the palm of my hand. When I have my thumbs on the sticks I have them resting on the tip of it but I don't lay my tumb down. I have seen people use the middle of the thumb, thats why I think many people complain about it.

I will miss the vibration mechanism in the controller alot not because of the feedback but because it gave the controller a great weight. I tried playing with the original Dual Analog Controller and it felt like it was made out of paper.

Marvel_us
06-06-06, 11:58 AM
Agreed, I don't have a problem with the dual shock 2 design. The analog sticks seem fine as well.

GamerGuyX
06-06-06, 12:16 PM
Thats only if you are not human...
The DS2 were the best controller I held, and they fit like a glove. To every person I know. Never had even 1 second of pain, nor did they ever felt uncomfortable, and I played alot.

From an ergonomic engineering standpoint, they are a jewel.

Uh-oh. Did someone say something bad about your precious PS2? Is this your way of telling us your ready for a diaper change?

Namrok
06-06-06, 01:06 PM

When I first got a PS2, the first game I played was Katamari. My hands ached for days from stretching my thumbs down to those seemingly unnatural positions and using it more than just about any other game. I couldn't have picked a worse first game for my hands. That was about a year ago though and I have no trouble at all now. In fact the discomfort only lasted about a 2 weeks.

However, I do think that the 360 controller and the Gamecube controller have better placement of the primary directional input. I think putting the D-Pad in the most natural position was a bad move for the PS2 since you almost never use it for movement. However, with the GC its just too damn hard for me to hit A, B, X or Y at the same time. Well, holding A and tapping B isn't so bad. Never had any trouble at all on the 360's A, B, X & Y or the PS2's square, triangle, circle and X.

It's nice how the 360 took the PS2/SNES right hand side buttons, and took the Gamecubes left hand side directional input. It's damn near perfect.

Acid Rain
06-06-06, 06:42 PM
^Ahhh, a fellow non-midget. Welcome!

ralinn
06-06-06, 07:13 PM
Uh-oh. Did someone say something bad about your precious PS2? Is this your way of telling us your ready for a diaper change?
Why do most threads here have to be turned into a pissy argument by posts like this? I was finding this thread interesting.

GamerGuyX
06-06-06, 08:10 PM
Why do most threads here have to be turned into a pissy argument by posts like this? I was finding this thread interesting.

So skip past my post genius.

ralinn
06-07-06, 06:26 AM
Yes sir, anything you say sir.

saturnotaku
06-07-06, 06:42 AM
It's nice how the 360 took the PS2/SNES right hand side buttons, and took the Gamecubes left hand side directional input. It's damn near perfect.

Agreed. I never liked the PS2's controller as it didn't seem to fit my hands quite right. I really blame my hands more than the design, though. The 360 controller is the best pad I've used since my original MS Sidewinder Game Pad. I'm so glad it's compatible between the PC and 360.

msxyz
06-07-06, 06:52 AM
The only serious problem I had with the Xbox360 controller was that my wrists inexplicably ached after an intense gaming session.

I purchased a Madcatz Gamepad pro and it feels much more comfortable for me. Not to mention the superior trigger / shoulder button layout

http://media.teamxbox.com/xbox-hardware/ss/36/1132367068.jpg

Mr. Hunt
06-07-06, 08:28 AM
The only serious problem I had with the Xbox360 controller was that my wrists inexplicably ached after an intense gaming session.

I purchased a Madcatz Gamepad pro and it feels much more comfortable for me. Not to mention the superior trigger / shoulder button layout

http://media.teamxbox.com/xbox-hardware/ss/36/1132367068.jpg

Sorry to say it but YOU LOSE! Madcatz = craptastic city.

ENU291
06-07-06, 08:31 AM
The shoulder buttons do seem better on the Madcatz but like Mr. Hunt stated Madcatz = teh suck!

msxyz
06-07-06, 08:41 AM
Reviewers think otherwise :)

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/35/Mad-Catz-GamePad-Pro/p1/

Madcatz hasn't been know for the quality or durability of their products but the Gamepad Pro seems to be an exception (or maybe a new trend).

Talking about quality, Microsoft still hasn't fixed the issues with the analogs sticks becoming loose after few months of intensive use. Xbox controllers suffered from that defect and so does the Xbox 360 version. After four months with the Gamepad Pro I'm completely satsified.

Namrok
06-07-06, 09:10 AM
Talking about quality, Microsoft still hasn't fixed the issues with the analogs sticks becoming loose after few months of intensive use. Xbox controllers suffered from that defect and so does the Xbox 360 version. After four months with the Gamepad Pro I'm completely satsified.

Oh man, I never heard about that. Never owned an xbox, and I just got my 360. How loose do they become? Do the deadzones just become huge? Does it not register going fully in a direction as well? I had an old Saitek PC gamepad that had that happen, was a huge pain in the ass.