PDA

View Full Version : Why do non US developers base games on US arsenals/characters?

sillyeagle
06-06-06, 01:54 AM
I guess Farcry is a primary example of US weapons and characters from a non US company. What is the reasoning? Must they market and sell in the US and therefore cater to that audience? Do other parts of the world get the same games as the US, or do they get games the US does not?

LiquidX
06-06-06, 03:16 AM
Much of the fps out there are made by Americans devs and sell more here than anywhere so I would think they would cater to our interest first. The guys behind FarCry main goal I think is to succeed in the biggest and most respected market before anything so what a better way of doing that than making their product for that market? First person shooters is America like hotdogs and they know it.

Also the US military has been seen all over the world in combat in full view from Vietnam to Iraq. Movies over the years have also helped develope a cool factor along with the spec-ops, armored vehicles, jets and even uniforms. Its is just seen as cool to many. How many other countries have a black stealth jet that just comes off as being Alien? The cool factor plays a big role IMO.

msxyz
06-06-06, 03:48 AM
Nazi FTW :lol:
http://ipmsstockholm.org/photos/detail_hoix_09.jpg (the only existing protoype of nazi stealth fighter which resembles closely a B2)

Just like in any WWII shoter you'll end up with a MP-38 or some other exotic nazi weapon like the FG-42, in recent days M-16s and MP-5 are clichés.

BTW, not all the weapons in Far Cry are americans. The MP-5 is german and so is the (A)G36, the P90 is belgian (FN), the AW50 british . The OCIW is a collaboration between the famous german HK and the american Omega.

In Far Cry predator you can also use some russian made weapons like the immortal AK

|MaguS|
06-06-06, 03:50 AM
Basically the US market is the largest supporter to the FPS Genre, They usually make games that suit our needs. Guns are very popular in the US, in many other countries they are already illegal.

Just look at the movie industry as a comparison, many US films are more guns blazing hero bullet dodging stuff then most forign films.

Another reason is how common many weapons are in todays world, the AK47 and the M16 (or Colt Carbine) are used all over the world. FarCry could have had a german main character fighting japanese people and it would have still been believable since most of the weapons of the game are very common around the world in the armed forces (military and police).

nutcrackr
06-06-06, 04:04 AM
The US market is the largest gaming market, sell there you win.

|MaguS|
06-06-06, 04:10 AM
The US market is the largest gaming market, sell there you win.

Depends on the title/developer though... Blizzard games sell FAR better in Korea then in the US. The same can be said about Square-Enix, many titles created by them have sold better in Japan then in the US even though the game recieved many great reviews. I think the US market, even though large, is a very closed one. Seems like Original and risky titles don't do so well here when compared to other countries (even Europe).

Marvel_us
06-06-06, 10:53 AM
I also noticed that with some upcoming JP games the characters look more JP than American, ie. Lost Oddesey.

S.I.N
06-06-06, 10:59 AM
We like killing **** with guns just like the Europeans like chopping **** with swords while wearing armor and casting magic.

Wolfhound
06-09-06, 04:17 AM
We like killing **** with guns just like the Europeans like chopping **** with swords while wearing armor and casting magic.

Armor and swords are part of our history, at least in Spain, that could be a reason, including that having firearms here is illegal, but having the Conan´s sword or Aragorn´s sword is legal

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/infer.asp?ac=7&trabajo=listar&pa=arm_armaduras&sg=arm_armaduras

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/infer.asp?ac=5&trabajo=listar&pa=esp_historica&sg=esp_historica

Quickstar
06-10-06, 04:59 PM

hahaha

Americans build high-quality weapons. We're always on the bleeding edge of weapon technology and you see our troops using these weapons often(ie Iraq, Afgan).

I just said not too long ago that more games need to use the Steyr Aug. Its Australian but when was the last time Australia had a war or "conflict"?

Tuork
06-10-06, 11:34 PM
All the theories so far explain the reason why military equipment is used, albeit FarCry is quite multinational, as stated. I agree completely with the ideas so far, however, why american characters?

My guess would be because people tend to know more about american agencies and whatnot, specially from movies. CIA, FBI, NSA, you name it, it's more recognizable than say... well.. I can't even think of any other agencies except MI6, but that's a known one too.

emailthatguy
06-14-06, 02:47 AM
I guess Farcry is a primary example of US weapons and characters from a non US company. What is the reasoning? Must they market and sell in the US and therefore cater to that audience? Do other parts of the world get the same games as the US, or do they get games the US does not?

"Because we got the bombs... THATS RIGHT!@!! Nuclear F#@&ing weapons!" Dennis Leary - No Cure For Cancer

agentkay
06-14-06, 03:01 AM
I just said not too long ago that more games need to use the Steyr Aug. Its Australian but when was the last time Australia had a war or "conflict"?

Australian or Austrian? ;)

msxyz
06-14-06, 03:56 AM
Beretta, Benelli, FN-Herstal, Glock, Heckler & Kock, Steyr... these European firms have sold their weapons to the armies of the world (including US... :p) and they are present in many videogames.

It's just that the average uneducated gamer thinks everything in the field of small arms come from the US.