PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot for a 7950?

kwynjunk
06-06-06, 08:21 AM
I read somewhere that the XFX OC'd one can go up to 70 Celcius?

Is that too hot. I think on the control panel the yellow zone for temps is 70? Not sure if that means anything or not.

shabby
06-06-06, 05:29 PM
Thats fine, its not as bad as the x1900's who hit 90+

kwynjunk
06-06-06, 05:30 PM
Thats fine, its not as bad as the x1900's who hit 90+

During bf2, benchmarking (3dmark05) the hottest it got was about 74-76 C

lee63
06-06-06, 05:31 PM
During bf2, benchmarking (3dmark05) the hottest it got was about 74-76 C
Thats fine :)

shabby
06-06-06, 05:31 PM
With the dinky heatsink/fan setup im not surprised, but its really not that high.

shungokusatsu
06-06-06, 05:38 PM
Thats fine :)

Lee do you plan on upgrading to the 7950's?

mon
06-06-06, 05:40 PM
With the dinky heatsink/fan setup im not surprised, but its really not that high.

same here i have the heat pipe 7800 gtx and my gpu2 runs at 48 now and it is a hot night..

try a akasa reat vent fan blower they help and are very cheap

kwynjunk
06-06-06, 06:28 PM
same here i have the heat pipe 7800 gtx and my gpu2 runs at 48 now and it is a hot night..

try a akasa reat vent fan blower they help and are very cheap

what is that? Can you link me to it?

shungokusatsu
06-06-06, 08:18 PM
Too hot would be over 100C, my cards never go above 40C.

Xion X2
06-06-06, 11:57 PM
Let me tell you guys the best solution to keep this card cool (if you're going with just one of them.)

I actually learned this from my friend who has the 1900XT.

Don't get suckered into buying one of those Mad Dog/Antec slot cooler fans that put out a flimsy 15-25 cfm airflow.

This is what you do(Do not attempt to do this while standing or leaning over your computer):

1)Take one of those metal clips off that attaches at the back of your case where your PCI slots are. If you've already taken them off (like I have) then you might need to dig through one of your old boxes where you stashed lots of computer junk that you just couldn't part with for some odd reason.

2)Get two Sunon 84cfm 120mm fans (or any other high cfm fans, but these are the best).

3)Find or go buy a tube of super-glue.

4)Super-glue (yes, I said glue--just be careful while you're doing this and it'll be nice and neat--and definitely don't do this over your comp--DUH) the first 120mm fan to one of those metal clips that attaches on the back of your case. Make sure the airflow direction of the fan is pointed up, so it will be blowing up on your graphics card.

5)Next, take the 2nd 120mm fan and super-glue it to the first so that they sit side by side like this:

[][]

6)Have them both glued together, resembling the shape of a graphics card, both blowing air up toward your GX2 while sitting across one of your PCI slots and screw the metal clip down just as you would your graphics or sound card.

Voila--you have a monster graphics card fan that puts out a total of 168cfm!

Just be sure you have some good cold air ventilating inside your case (for instance, have one or two large fans sucking air in from the front), otherwise you're just blowing more hot air onto your card.

My buddy dropped his temps down on his 1900XT by 20-25C by doing this. No BS. His card idles at 38C now which is just insane because he's even done the volt mod to overclock it.

The GX-2's a little different because of the two graphics boards; that's why I have an additional fan I plan on mounting against my hard-drive bay to blow inbetween the two cards in addition to this little mod.

fatal1ty
06-06-06, 11:59 PM
Just water cool lol

Using a single BIP 120MM rad, quiet 120 fan a Maze 4 on the GPU and Apogee on the CPU. Idle on the GPU is 31 load is 38, the cpu idle is 28 load is 40. You dont need to drop a ton of cash to water cool and drop load temps to around 40 deg C. Screw the stock air coolers.

Xion X2
06-07-06, 12:53 AM
Screw water-cooling, as far as I'm concerned. Mixing water w/ electricity and worrying about coolant, water-pump motors going bad, thick tubing all over the place, leakage, big radiator sitting on top or back of your case, etc...

Plus, water-cooling is always a good bit more expensive than a couple of case fans. Always.

Don't get me wrong; I think the concept is cool and I'm intrigued by it, but it's really unnecessary at this point in time. A couple of good airflow fans will do just fine and you don't have to worry about any of the above going wrong. I'll leave all that stuff under the hood of my car for now, thanks.