PDA

View Full Version : Gainward Bliss GeForce 7800 GS+ bought from OcUk faulty out the box??

Jahbulon
06-06-06, 09:14 AM
Hello, would a fellow user of the same gfx card as me, the Gainward Bliss Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS+ 512vram (AGP version) please let me know of the direction of the airflow you are getting on the exhaust grille at the back of your card? Or at least, I thought it was an exhaust, rather than an intake??

I need to know if the card I have just bought from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AGP_411.html is faulty or not, as air is being sucked IN rather than being ejected OUT, and I was under the impression that the Arctic Cooling fan system used on this card ejected the hotter air from the heatsink inside the pc outside the case??

Why is air being sucked inside the grille, surely this is wrong??

Thanks and much regards!

pxmm
06-06-06, 10:22 AM
I have the non-plus version which I bought from OcUK. I just checked and mine draws in air from the exhaust grille and blows it out into the case. I'm not sure if it's supposed to do this either as the cooler looks to be the same as an Arctic Cooler which I had on my last card and that blew air out of the exhaust grille.

It's caused me no problems and the GPU temperature never goes above 47C when playing games so I think I could even overclock and not have a problem. I've just emailed Gainward to ask them though so I'll post when they get back to me.

Jahbulon
06-06-06, 11:03 AM
Hey, thanks for that. I already emailed Gainward but still awaiting a response so thought I'd put the question out there in the mean-time.

Lets compare notes when we (hopefully?!) get replies.

The thing is, I am starting to have my suspicions that our fan's power cords were fitted the wrong way round by some "person" at the factory...:rolleyes:

Take care, talk soon.

pxmm
06-07-06, 09:20 AM
Ok, I got a reply from Gainward:

Hello,

The fan on the Bliss7800GS+ "GS" SilentFX should rotate "clockwise".
And, blow the air out.
If this is not the case with your card then you should give your card back to your reseller.

Gainward Support

My fan does indeed rotate clockwise but it still feels like it's blowing air into the case to me. I think if the fan speed were increased it would be easier to tell but the new nvidia control panel adjustments for the fan don't seem to do anything. A quick google search brings up an unsubstatiated claim about fan speed adjustments on this card http://forums.vr-zone.com/showpost.php?p=1792428&postcount=101

It seems to work great for me as it is so I'll leave it and if the card melts I'm covered by the sale of goods act for manufacturing defects :)

I hope your fan spins clockwise too Jahbulon

Jahbulon
06-07-06, 09:12 PM
My reply from Gainward:

Hello,

This is so very strange and the first time that same one is telling as about such a problem.
The fan on the Bliss7800GS+ "GS" SilentFX should rotate "clockwise".
And, blow the air out.
If this is not the case with your card then please send it back to the please you boot it from.

Gainward Support

Spelling mistakes included... if German, confusing for boats. And they lied, claiming it was the "first time".:thumbdwn:

My Reply from OcUk:

It should blow out of the back Sir - try turning the fan connector around. Give me a call if you need help with this Sir.

I was reluctant to do it, but I had to try it out of curiosity - no fan rotation at all. Luckily I switched the PC off after only a couple of seconds, so hopefully no permanent damage done. So much for OcUk "technical" support...:thumbdwn:

I eventually figured it out on my own. Try it with your case open and feel round the back now. Hot air coming out the exhaust grille! I guess it must be an air-pressure thing, but it makes sense really. On my gunmetal Coolermaster case, the twin fans just above the card are ejecting air pretty strong out the back, and with the case closed there's no way the relatively mild airflow from the rear of the gfx card could compete.

No major probs with temps but sure I could get it down a few degrees if the gap was sealed between the plastic cooling vent and the metal grille at the back of the card - rather than having hot air circulating back onto the gfx card components via it's travels upward and out through the main case fans. Probably wouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix a rubber seal on there. Worth remembering if you ever want to try it.

Hey thanks for that link. I was about to edit its Bios with Nibitor; I saw a forum post from someone who said he edited the values from 20 and 50 to 100% himself, flashed it back and it worked. Maybe I'll try it sometime, but not yet. I did try editing the values in the DFC.ini (Expertool) file in c:\windows (and made it read-only afterwards) but not sure it worked.

Oh and yes, my fan rotates clockwise. Thanks for your help. I didn't exactly trust whatever Gainward said (but miles more than OcUK, hehe) so you confirmed it. It just seemed wrong to me too when every other heatsink fan on my comp spins anti-christ anti-clockwise heh.

Ok, back to TES Oblivion... take it easy and stay cool :p :D